Thu, Sep 19, 9:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Carrara Animation Challenge: M4 To Walk And Chew Gum At The Same Time...

dr_bernie ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2018 at 11:44 AM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 4:00 AM

I have been very critical of Carrara's animation abilities lately. I have even claimed that Carrara is only good at animating bouncing balls and simple yo-yo's.

But I'm willing to put it all to test. So here is an animation challenge for you, Carrara aficionados.

Michael 4 is in Downtown Street, looking straight ahead of him, He walks aimlessly and, as the thread subject indicates, he chews gum at the same time.

Are you, Carrara experts, willing to take on this unique challenge, and show the world what Carrara can do? I can't wait to see the results.

DUDU.car ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2018 at 3:33 PM

bet you will show that done in another software soon!

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2018 at 8:22 AM
diomede ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2018 at 11:33 AM

This was animated in Carrara. Awards, awards, awards.

http://www.dinnerforfew.com/

dr_bernie ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2018 at 1:33 PM

@ wendyvainity: Your lighting is actually quite good, and the skin render isn't all that bad either. But the animation needs a lot more work.

@ diomede: I don't know how good Dinner For Two is, because you show only a brief trailer. But regardless of how good it is, I don't believe it's a match to this: See Link.

diomede ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2018 at 1:54 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, including the people who gave Dinner for Few awards for animation and who put it on Amazon. Sorry you can't find it after all that searching you must have done, because it is so hard to find things when the website has a menu tab entitled "See it." Of couse, you'd have to pay if you go that route because they are professionals. However, if one does even a minimal search, one could see that it is also hosted on Amazon, and one could see it with no exta charge if one is an Amazon Prime member.

To sum up, professional award winning animators have used Carrara to create additional animations, which also win awards and through which they make money. That should settle the whole walk-and-chew-gum thing, but I am sure some extraneous off-topic response will try to change the subject or change the standad.

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2018 at 2:58 PM

dr_bernie posted at 5:23AM Sun, 20 May 2018 - #4330281

@ wendyvainity: Your lighting is actually quite good, and the skin render isn't all that bad either. But the animation needs a lot more work.

@ diomede: I don't know how good Dinner For Two is, because you show only a brief trailer. But regardless of how good it is, I don't believe it's a match to this: See Link.

but thats not M4 chewing gum

nice as it is,

I assume you made it since you shared it, otherwise I could share plenty of awesome Carrara videos by others not me,

and even so I doubt you made it in the short time I took to whip up my silly video

which was the point, a challenge

I have plenty of videos too I put lots of hours into and my animation in iClone would look just as bad by the way, it's not the software it's the user.

YouTube Channel

Dreaming Kitty Channel

Tom R. Toe

My ArtyFarty AI channel

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2018 at 4:57 PM

if we are going to share other people's work and not step up to your own challenge I will show you this

YouTube Channel

Dreaming Kitty Channel

Tom R. Toe

My ArtyFarty AI channel

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2018 at 7:48 AM

I am still waiting for your iClone animation mate

YouTube Channel

Dreaming Kitty Channel

Tom R. Toe

My ArtyFarty AI channel

dr_bernie ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2018 at 9:06 PM · edited Sat, 26 May 2018 at 9:07 PM

wendyvainity posted at 8:57PM Sat, 26 May 2018 - #4330590

I am still waiting for your iClone animation mate Warning movie contains mild nudity.

Alright miss, here ia an animation for a movie. How's that? See This Link. (Warning: Movie contains nudity).

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Sat, 26 May 2018 at 10:17 PM

she is not chewing gum but a quite nice render, certainly just as doable in Carrara though

YouTube Channel

Dreaming Kitty Channel

Tom R. Toe

My ArtyFarty AI channel

dr_bernie ( ) posted Sun, 27 May 2018 at 6:04 AM · edited Sun, 27 May 2018 at 6:06 AM

wendyvainity posted at 6:03AM Sun, 27 May 2018 - #4330636

she is not chewing gum but a quite nice render, certainly just as doable in Carrara though

She is a Carrara render, done quite a long time ago.

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Sun, 27 May 2018 at 6:41 AM

well I can't tell and I use iClone a lot too BTW, it only illustrates my point its the user not the software, you are entitled to use what you find best, nobody here is actually questioning that, just the constant posts putting Carrara down in the Carrara forum.

YouTube Channel

Dreaming Kitty Channel

Tom R. Toe

My ArtyFarty AI channel

dr_bernie ( ) posted Mon, 28 May 2018 at 12:51 PM

In our continuing series of Carrara animation challenges, this is an animation I did with IClone 7.2.1. It's actually a render of an scene included in the IClone package to whic I added a music. See This Link.

In the video you have dynamic hair, dynamic hair, and no foot slippage. The render time was about 10 minutes for 600 frames, or roughly a second per frame on a fairly well-endowed computer.

It took me about maybe 2 hours to do this, but I am only an IClone beginner.

dr_bernie ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2018 at 4:59 AM

The lack of massive participation in this thread is proof by a+b that in Carrara Michael 4 can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2018 at 2:25 AM

so you posted a premade iClone scene of Heidi dancing and that proves?

I give up discussing this with you as you obviously are convinced of your assertions and dislike Carrara, just stop telling us we shouldn't use it and go use your softwares of choice, half my videos are in fact made with iClone for what it's worth but damn it is easier to animate chewing gum in Carrara than iClone, you actually tried that?????

YouTube Channel

Dreaming Kitty Channel

Tom R. Toe

My ArtyFarty AI channel

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2018 at 2:26 AM

dr_bernie posted at 4:56PM Thu, 07 June 2018 - #4331032

The lack of massive participation in this thread is proof by a+b that in Carrara Michael 4 can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

most the others have you on ignore I think

YouTube Channel

Dreaming Kitty Channel

Tom R. Toe

My ArtyFarty AI channel

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2018 at 2:31 AM

and it would take me 5mins to drop a sound into that premade scene that also comes with iC6 and render an mp4 or wmv

your specs of your PC must be pretty low

YouTube Channel

Dreaming Kitty Channel

Tom R. Toe

My ArtyFarty AI channel

headwax. ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2018 at 5:54 PM

wendyvainity posted at 5:49PM Sun, 10 June 2018 - #4331294

That's funny Wendy. I wouldn't do that! I enjoy bernie's digs at carrara. Always puzzles me what motivates him/her though. He she appears to want users to move away from carrara and use other software by proving that other software is better.

I think that's admirable, trying to help us like that. I can't wait to stop using carrara now I know it's no good.

:)

dr_bernie ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2018 at 11:16 AM · edited Tue, 12 June 2018 at 11:19 AM

headwax. posted at 11:14AM Tue, 12 June 2018 - #4331494

wendyvainity posted at 5:49PM Sun, 10 June 2018 - #4331294

That's funny Wendy. I wouldn't do that! I enjoy bernie's digs at carrara. Always puzzles me what motivates him/her though. He she appears to want users to move away from carrara and use other software by proving that other software is better.

I think that's admirable, trying to help us like that. I can't wait to stop using carrara now I know it's no good.

Thanks Headwax for your show of support. You hit the nail exactly on the head. I am only trying to show the Carrara community that there are excellent alternatives to Carrara that should be considered.

Your comments motivate me to do tutorials on Shade3D (See Link). For other alternatives such as Lightwave, IClone, or even Bryce, there are countless excellent tutorials on the net already.

BTW, I'm a he.

headwax. ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2018 at 8:19 PM

Ha ha, yes there are many good softwares out there. Congratulations on pointing them out for us! I admit that I, too, am a 'he'. Though, as of 2010, there was only 49.2 percent chance that I was. So I admit it was a gamble.

diomede ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2018 at 7:24 AM

Notice - Dr. Bernie is not a current Carrara user and spreads false information. He says Carrara cannot animate a figure walking and chewing gum at the same time. Turns out a figure in Carrara can have hundreds of separate NLA clips applied simultaneously. A figure could walk, chew gum, blink, scratch head, morph to different shapes, etc, etc, etc. all at the same time. Dr. Bernie either did not know what he was talking about, or was just intentionally spreading misinformation to waste our time. Ditto for the vampire effect topic. Dr. Bernie said Carrara could no do it. Two people did it. Did Dr. Bernie ask how it was done so he could do it in Carrara? No, because he is not a Carrara user and not really interested. He simply assumed how it was done (in my case a wrong assumption) and changed the standard so it was not something "easily done." This is his record. It is not my opinion. It is not an attack on him as a person (probably a wonderful person). But on this forum, he is just spreading misinformation about a program he no longer uses and wasting people's time. If you are a Carrara user, best to put him on ignore if you don't want to see false information and have your time wasted.

dr_bernie ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2018 at 6:46 PM

What a pile of rubbish. Before you talk, actually do name-callibg, I would like to see some of YOUR Carrara works first.

Steve K. ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2018 at 9:20 PM

diomede posted at 9:19PM Mon, 13 August 2018 - #4334623

Notice - Dr. Bernie is not a current Carrara user and spreads false information. ... If you are a Carrara user, best to put him on ignore if you don't want to see false information and have your time wasted.

Yes, I did that a few months back. Best not to feed the trolls.

dr_bernie ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2018 at 3:47 AM · edited Tue, 14 August 2018 at 3:48 AM

headwax. posted at 3:43AM Tue, 14 August 2018 - #4331494

Some people do enjoy my exploring of other 3D apps as Carrara replacement. See his posts above.

diomede ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2018 at 9:06 AM

I have called Dr. Bernie two names - "Dr. Bernie" and "probably a wonderful person." I have not attacked him as a person or criticized his artwork. I have not threatened him or told him to stop posting. I have not critiqued his personality. I have not called any of his work rubbish.

I have merely presented his record of misinformation, and noted how that has resulted in my time being wasted. Carrara users might be interested in how to avoid having their time wasted - or not. Others are free to put me on ignore, put Dr. Bernie on ignore, or put no one on ignore.

It is true, I have posted many more screenshots of Carrara's UI to demonstrate some effect, links to tutorials, and similar information than I have finished renders to the Renderosity gallery. Forum participants are free to put me on ignore if that is not what they want.

dr_bernie ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2018 at 12:24 PM · edited Tue, 14 August 2018 at 12:25 PM

So far I have not seen anyone meeting this render challenge. Therefore I think I am right by saying that the only animations Carrara is good are spinning cubes and bouncing balls.

diomede ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2018 at 12:01 PM

Here is Steve on NLA clips. . https://youtu.be/EpkTXREwTWk

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.