Thu, Sep 19, 9:48 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Bryce As Carrara Replacement? U Kidding Me Dude? No Dude, I'm Not Kidding U

dr_bernie ( ) posted Wed, 06 June 2018 at 8:01 AM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 2:21 AM

I hesitated a few weeks before I finally decided to post this, not that I don't consider Bryce to be a worthy 3D tool, quite to the contrary, but because of the uproar all-knives-out it might cause here.

But with the Bryce gallery being Renderosity's gallery of the week for the umpteenth time (See Link), I thought I'll give it a go.

First-off, Bryce is far less dead than you might think. Actually Bryce is perfectly alive and kicking. Just do your own stats in Renderosity galleries, and you will see that for a given period of time there are nearly 4 times more entries in the Bryce gallery than in Carrara's.

Bryce is not so much a character animation tool per se, but it has a built-in support for Daz/Poser contents. For example you can send contents, including characters directly from Daz Studio to Bryce.

Bryce has no polygon modeler, but it has enough boolean modeling tools to let you model very sophisticated geometric shapes.

Bryce has a particularly powerful material design system. Its Deep Texture Editor, or DTE, although a bit difficult to understand, can deliver some serious punch, if you know what you are doing.

Bryce renderer, although a bit aging, can still output some breathtaking results, far better than Carrara's imho. Also Bryce has a network renderer that actually works.

You'd be surprised at how many good Bryce animations and galleries you can find on Youtube. I give a few link, but you can do your own search to see more.

Bryce 7 Demo Reel, Bryce Gallery, Bryce Animation, Bryce Animation.

If I have time, I will be posting more of my findings about Bryce because I believe that as a tool for artistic creation it makes a lot more sense than Carrara.

dr_bernie ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2018 at 3:40 AM · edited Sat, 09 June 2018 at 3:46 AM

Bryce is truly a unique 3D app. It is not just for landscapes and sceneries but, as you can see in Renderosity's Bryce gallery, very fit for artistic and abstract work as well.

Bryce is also very alive, judging by the activities in the Bryce gallery, which are almost 4 times more than in the Carrara gallery.

I don't believe there will be any further developments on either Bryce or Carrara. But if Daz3D decided to spend some serious development money on just ONE of the two, my recommendation would be to spend it on Bryce and trash Carrara for good, because Carrara is hopelessly outdated while Bryce isn't.

At this point, and imho, a Bryce 8 would make a lot more sense than a Carrara 9. I will go into this, point by point, in further posts.

dr_bernie ( ) posted Sat, 14 July 2018 at 11:33 AM

Recently I have been digging into Bryce and it has been a very rewarding experience. Bryce has numerous very unique features that make it still a very relevant software.

I personally believe that a rejuvenated Bryce will be a smashing sale success. If I were in charge of product developments at Daz3D and if I had, say, a $1M development budget to spend on Carrara, Bryce and Hexagon, I would spend 90% of the funds on Bryce, 10% on Hexagon, and zilch on Carrara.

Note that when I say I will spend only 10% of the development funds on Hexagon, it's not because Hexagon isn't worth spending money on, quite to the contrary. But because Hexagon, in its current state, is fairly feature complete and does a very good job at what it was originally designed for.

diomede ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2018 at 7:59 AM

I like Bryce for what it does. If anyone would like to use Bryce for landscapes and then bring them to Carrara, the late great Cripeman has an excellent tutorial. https://youtu.be/5b9c4CW2c18

dr_bernie ( ) posted Sun, 15 July 2018 at 4:05 PM

diomede posted at 4:03PM Sun, 15 July 2018 - #4333151

I like Bryce for what it does. If anyone would like to use Bryce for landscapes and then bring them to Carrara, the late great Cripeman has an excellent tutorial. https://youtu.be/5b9c4CW2c18

Bryce is still worth spending development money for. Carrara may be nice and cute, but Bryce is the genuine article.

diomede ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2018 at 6:52 AM

diomede ( ) posted Mon, 16 July 2018 at 6:59 AM

Here is another really cool landscape program. I've been bringing the heightmaps to Carrara. Lots of fun. Lebanaon = cool landscape. http://terrain.party/

Xerxes0002 ( ) posted Tue, 17 July 2018 at 8:39 PM · edited Tue, 17 July 2018 at 8:39 PM

note that if you. have a Mac OS/X it doesn't work on newer version and def not 10.13 and will not in the future.

dr_bernie ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2018 at 6:09 AM

Xerxes0002 posted at 6:02AM Wed, 18 July 2018 - #4333318

note that if you. have a Mac OS/X it doesn't work on newer version and def not 10.13 and will not in the future.

Apple recently announced that, as of Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave), support for Open GL will be deprecated. See Link.

The Open GL de-support will probably not happen overnight, bur all apps using Open GL on the Mac are living on borrowed time, and that includes Carrara.

Artformz2 ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2018 at 7:20 PM

Let's keep BOTH Bryce and Carrara alive and kicking! They're both great.

dr_bernie ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2018 at 12:51 PM

Artformz2 posted at 12:44PM Mon, 23 July 2018 - #4333369

Let's keep BOTH Bryce and Carrara alive and kicking! They're both great.

Carrara is certainly a nice program, but it's cornered into irrelevance. In the Daz products line-up, spending development money on Bryce, and to some extent Hexagon, still make sense, while spending money on Carrara is an unwise investment, imho.

diomede ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2018 at 8:02 PM

Here is another really cool landscape program. I've been bringing the heightmaps to Carrara. Lots of fun. http://terrain.party/

EldritchCellar ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2018 at 8:18 PM

diomede posted at 9:17PM Mon, 23 July 2018 - #4333621

Here is another really cool landscape program. I've been bringing the heightmaps to Carrara. Lots of fun. http://terrain.party/

W10 Pro, HP Envy X360 Laptop, Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA GeForce MX250, Intel UHD, 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM, 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Mudbox 2022, Adobe PS CC, Poser Pro 11.3, Blender 2.9, Wings3D 2.2.5

My Freestuff and Gallery at ShareCG

WendyLuvsCatz ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2018 at 10:34 AM

I wonder what Dr Bernie's true motivation actually is to put down Carrara ( and apparently not Bryce)

is he getting paid by someone to recruit users?

YouTube Channel

Dreaming Kitty Channel

Tom R. Toe

My ArtyFarty AI channel

DUDU.car ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2018 at 12:39 PM

It is necessary to be characterial to provoking the Carrara users on their own forum, I believe that his motivations are of a psychological nature (if not psychopathic…).

PS: Very nice your animation with the cove on DAZ Forum!

DustRider ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2018 at 3:44 PM

I got this great new app with my phone that does the most realistic landscapes/environments I have ever seen. All I have to do is start the app, point the back of my phone at a great landscape/environment, and push the "button"....... instant photo-realistic landscape/environment. The app is appropriately called "Camera"! The really amazing thing is that the landscapes can be used with just about any 3D software, or even Photoshop, Gimp or any similar software. I'll never need another landscape software again (but traveling to the right location might get expensive). Below is a quick example using this wonderful new invention (I cheated though, I didn't travel to this awesome forest, I used another equally amazing and useful new invention, the internet, to find the Creative Commons image used, which I'm sure must have come from this new phone landscape/environment capture device .... or not).

Image Title: Troll Hunter Troll Hunter.jpg

I do think someone here (other than me) really needs to see a therapist to resolve some issues???

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......

DustRider ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2018 at 5:21 PM

Opps!! Sorry, I had a bit of under-boob poke through on the last image, and I just had to fix it (yes, I do need therapy).

The moderators don't need to worry though, it's "safe" poke through.

Image Title: Troll Hunter

Troll Hunter.jpg

My Rendo Gallery ........ My DAZ3D Gallery ........... My DA Gallery ......

dr_bernie ( ) posted Sun, 29 July 2018 at 5:33 PM · edited Sun, 29 July 2018 at 5:44 PM

@ DustRider:

The point I am making in this thread is that IN THIS USER's OPINION spending development money on Bryce 8 makes a lot more sense than on Carrara 9, both from an engineering perspective and from a marketing angle. I have explained some of my arguments in the posts above, and I will explain some more in future posts, as soon as I have time.

This thread deals as much with Carrara as it does with Bryce. I have chosen to post it in this forum. It is not of a trolling nature, nor is it provocative, but it's definitely thought-provoking.

Please abstain from being rude, obnoxious, or threatening.

diomede ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2018 at 5:57 AM

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.