Sun, Oct 6, 7:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Firefly vs Cycles

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2018 at 6:31 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 5:13 AM

In a recent thread on the Poser forum (here) I have read that Firecfly is actualy the Cycles render engine. It is the same render engine as the Blender Cycles renderer ? Since there are some similarity between the Blender materials settings and Poser Material Room is there any similarity between those settings ? I don't mean a perfect match, and I understand the work has to be done by hand, but I set basic Diffuse, Specular and Reflections values in Blender are they the same in Firefly ? Just curious, thank you,

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2018 at 8:51 AM

Actually, it is the "Superfly" render engine that is using the Cycles render engine. This is only available in the Poser 11/Poser Pro 11 versions. Since it has to have some versatility and be compatible with Firefly in some aspects ... there are some Cycles features that may not transfer, but for the most part it does ... and wonderfully so, from the standpoint of a LONG time Poser user.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2018 at 10:15 AM

Yes, I was talking about SuperFly, sorry. This is super I was not aware of this. Thank you for your answer Boni.

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2018 at 2:37 PM

yarp! I haven't seen you around for while!! Really, the quality of Superfly renders are amazing. From another thread:

Blackhearted posted at 12:36PM Mon, 19 November 2018 - #4340165

Superfly is actually Cycles which is an excellent unbiased renderer that can go head to head with professional renderers costing $$$$. Keep in mind that it's still relatively "new" to the Poser community (uptake in the Poser community runs like molasses, people are still using P4 ffs) so people still have a long way to go to coax the best out of it. Firefly has been around forever so people have learned to squeeze some amazing results out of what is actually a technically inferior renderer.

This is done with Cycles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-rmzh0PI3c

And here's an old comparison of Cycles vs some other top industry renderers: https://www.blenderguru.com/articles/render-engine-comparison-cycles-vs-giants

It fares pretty well in that test (and keep in mind it's from 2015, since then Blender has been evolving at an exponential rate), and the results are subjective. Personally I preferred the look of cycles in a couple of those.

Performance will also increase exponentially as more people upgrade to current GPUs.

Also ... thank you for a great Poser tool!!!

Boni

yarp ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2018 at 10:25 PM

Yes I am back and P3DO is back too. I am new to Blender as you can see. I have been using Argile for modeling and then NVil/Rocket 3F but recently I realized it would be worth taking the time to learn Blender and that's what I am doing. That compatibility between SuperFly and Cycles is a great bonus.When Blackhearted talked about that I simply couldn't believe it. There is a great potential with that compatibility.

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 20 November 2018 at 6:36 AM

Although I am one of the moderators (and an ambassador) for Poser ... I'm expanding as well. I'm learning Blender, ZBrush ... and am gaining many tools for Photoshop as well. Importing and using in Poser is my ultimate goal ... but even that is shifting a little.

Boni

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 20 November 2018 at 6:50 AM

From a former Poser user - I do have PP 11, but use it very little, mainly for posing humanoid figures - I find what Blender has to offer in terms of rendering infinitely more cutting-edge, and it keeps evolving. Blender's progress marches ahead at an exponential rate. There is a massive development community.

These characteristics were what made Poser strong.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

yarp ( ) posted Tue, 20 November 2018 at 11:30 AM

Yes, Blender is moving fast and Eevee is impressive. One of the reason that drove my decision is how complete it is. But Poser is still very simple to use compared with Blender, so there's enough room for the 2 and even more 😁

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 20 November 2018 at 5:30 PM

I quite agree, Yarp. Nothing matches Poser for ease of finessing figures into the most intricate of poses and attitudes and it is definitely very much in my workflow when I need a figure posed.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2018 at 4:13 PM
Forum Moderator

Hello Yarp glad to know that P3DO is back I own the pro version so happy to hear that. My apologies for not being able to reply to this earlier and glad to see Boni and Robyn have jumped in almost every thing in the current Superfly render is Cycles but you do have to sort of do the mapping manually but almost any material node set up can be configured into Poser 11 and Poser 11 Pro hopefully at some point Poser will incorporate the Cycles Principled Shader because I think that would make compatibility even easier.

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 22 November 2018 at 12:10 PM

Oh Yes, I so want the Principled Shader in PP11. I tried recreating a shader someone in my Blender class created in Blender so I could use what he offered to his classmates as a freebie download, but it took quite a while to get it even close in PP11, simply because we don't have the new Principled Shader.

I've also found on numerous occasions that a number of the same named node palettes are not the same in both apps. In Blender it may be a "receiving" node, while in PP11 I find the same node is an outgoing node only. A good many nodes in Blender have hookups for both in AND out, while in PP11 they may only have one or the other.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

yarp ( ) posted Sun, 25 November 2018 at 9:41 AM

Sure, they are compatible, but only up to some point. It is not that surprising. Well if you can get the idea, it is not that bad.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.