Thu, Sep 19, 7:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Why is Blender so hard to understand?

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 23 August 2011 at 4:44 PM

Quote - not had a peep yet mate ;-) but am waiting lol been using hex since it came out an still think its the fastest modeler I have ever used, but am enjoying blender!! is something new to explore around every corner, just so bloody much to learn rofl

A bit like Poser in that regard, isn't it? Just when you think you're sort-of getting a grip on it, they come out with a new version and new, cool technologies and it's time to roll up the sleeves again. :biggrin:

Not that I mind - looking forward to it!! 😄

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

heddheld ( ) posted Tue, 23 August 2011 at 5:17 PM

oh Robyn

poser is like a kids toy compared to blender, but I guess that depends on what you want to do in it lol , I spent a full day just in the graph editor for animations and not even looked at the nodes yet, got a feeling thats gonna be another day or 3 ;-) but am learning it slowly and waiting for the poser tools to be completed if that works as well as the prop bit I might not even bother with poser much

unbroken-fighter ( ) posted Wed, 24 August 2011 at 1:51 AM

Attached Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?qi6wfr5xoznbn2f

ok the basis for the 1st part is dome for those who wish to give it a shot

modeling a basemesh human female in blender 2.58 from a base cube

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Wed, 24 August 2011 at 7:34 AM

Quote - ok the basis for the 1st part is done for those who wish to give it a shot modeling a basemesh human female in blender 2.58 from a base cube

Had a quick look through it - I really like it. It's a quick read, to the point, stroke-by-stroke. And this is the thing I really like about pdfs: you can go back and forth easily.

Nice work!

Metaphor of Chooks

heddheld ( ) posted Wed, 24 August 2011 at 7:59 AM

quick and simple !! I like it how long for the rest?

unbroken-fighter ( ) posted Wed, 24 August 2011 at 7:00 PM

ill get on part 2 tonight so maybe 3 days

please remember that before this i have not used 2.58 before so i am diong it as i learn it

HartyBart ( ) posted Sat, 05 January 2019 at 11:39 PM

I just tried it again after all these years. Version 2.79, 2019. It's still a totally and utter nightmare of a user interface, even after all these years. Uninstalled.

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

RFreise ( ) posted Sun, 06 January 2019 at 12:20 AM

Supposed to be some major changes in 2.8

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2019 at 4:57 AM · edited Mon, 07 January 2019 at 5:00 AM

Funny, I recently experienced exactly the same sort of frustration as HartyBart. Did exactly as he did: uninstalled.

Only thing, it wasn't Blender... it was another, very popular commercial 3D application. Horses for courses, I guess. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Nice thing about Blender is: it doesn't cost anything to try it. Which is true for other applications, but then, after 30 days or so, you will suffer sticker shock.

Metaphor of Chooks

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2019 at 3:10 PM · edited Mon, 07 January 2019 at 3:12 PM

RobynsVeil posted at 4:03PM Mon, 07 January 2019 - #4343216

Nice thing about Blender is: it doesn't cost anything to try it.

It just surprises me how many folks will open it, and NOT really try to learn how to use it. I've been using Blender since the 2.4x versions, which all had a horrible UI for sure. It wasn't until I downloaded, and opened, version 2.52 that I got my first look at what's pretty much the current UI, and fell in love with it because it was so much more professional looking than the 2.4x versions.

Yes, I'm constantly learning new things which have been added over the years, but all software has a learning curve. I've been playing in the educational version of Maya the past 2 years, and talk about a busy UI, but I stuck with it, and I like it. I've never been one to take a first impression of a piece of software, as the only impression I'll ever have with the software.

I had the same reaction the first time I played with ZBrush, which also has a very busy UI.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

SheikhalMaktoum ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2019 at 5:07 AM

The new 2.8 version fixes so much of what was horrible with previous versions. I've been using the beta for a couple of months and wouldn't dream of going back to my trusty 2.79B. Menus stay put and there are honest to goodness tool bars. I'm sure that this version is going to catapult Blender into much wider usage.

incantrix ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2019 at 6:59 AM

Horses for courses really either you will get a feeling and gel with a piece of software or you wont. Sometimes it can be at a cost Like Robynsveil discovered. Suppose why its always good to have a demo version or free for 30 days type thing. Wish I had a dollar for all the software I've tried out and removed lol. And then there are changes Like Miss B said, I hated Blender in its earlier incantations, thought it was a total piece of (insert expletive). But many years later gave it another go and love it like an addiction. And the transition to 2.8 has been way easier than I thought it would be. And their will always be people who will find a reason to not like something simply because of my first sentence here.

Incantrix

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2019 at 6:03 PM

I'm looking forward to 2.8 coming out in final public release so I can play with it. I don't do beta versions, unless I'm on the beta team.

I'll probably keep 2.79b around though, as I do more of my final rendering in other software, like Poser, so having to use Cycles for an intermittent render to see how my model is progressing, just doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather use Cycles, and the new EEVEE, render engines for final renders.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

brite ( ) posted Wed, 06 March 2019 at 8:47 PM

HartyBart posted at 3:33AM Thu, 07 March 2019 - #4343160

I just tried it again after all these years. Version 2.79, 2019. It's still a totally and utter nightmare of a user interface, even after all these years. Uninstalled.

Hi HartyBart, I'm sorry to hear you are so disappointed in Blender. I must admit Blender wasn't, isn't and never will be easy to get in to. No discussion... BUT, Blender has come a LONG way when it comes to GUI design and usage (check out the beta for 2.8 and you'll see what I mean!). I've been using the software on and off since the first public version (almost 20 years ago) and still struggle with certain quirks and still discover new features. Steep learning curve with great rewards if you put your teeth into the beast. Next to DAZ Studio it's my main 3D program and the two can be used in a symbiotic way (mjcTeleBlender). I'm very happy Blender exists, because I never could afford the likes of Maya, 3DSMax and C4D, to mention a few. Ok, that's what I have to say, hope you have more luck with other software!

mouser ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2019 at 7:23 PM · edited Wed, 03 April 2019 at 7:28 PM

I still find myself opening Wings3D to start my poly modeling until I get the basics where I want and then port it to whatever advanced package I want (Blender, Maya, Lightwave or whatever).

Wings3d, Zbrush and others are dedicated to specific 3d fields in this case modeling so it does that one thing excelently.

Blender has the same issue as many other big packages, it is trying to do everything in the one package, It does many things well but not exactly great as a result. Also these large packages are trying to do so many things they crash at the most inopertune moment (just before saving) and often (hint: dont breath while using Maya).

The questionis do you want a one stop solution? If yes then you are gonna have to deal with an interface that is a compromise at best.

If you want an interface that is intuitive then you'll need multiple packages & have to learn em all.

Answer: its a pain either way;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.