Thu, Sep 19, 8:59 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: Tiny little gripe

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 4:03 PM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 12:29 PM

First off I would like to thank any and every person who has offered their hard work and creative talents to create items which appear in the Freestuff. My little gripe is that recently when I go to download, some people have packaged their items as exe files. In this day and age, I will not download an exe file of which I am not absolutely sure of even with firewalls ect. I'm not even wild about DAZ's exe files, I just hope they are A Okay when I download. There's nothing wrong with the versitile zip file, or even Sit files since I have Aladdin Expander. I can unzip to whatever location that I prefer and archive them. I NEVER unzip directly into my Poser program. Please, please, switch back to zip or sit for file compression? Liz Pope Dreamspinner Inc.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 4:12 PM

"Winzip" has had good luck for me opening may self extracting archive files as if they were traditional Zip files. This makes me much happier :)

PabloS ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 4:16 PM

I agree with Liz. Zip 'n sit files also allow you to extract just what you need a lot easier.

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 4:20 PM

When you dowload from the freestuff, you're putting a lot of trust in the artist who posted the download. I've run into trouble with suspicious downloads...one creator even sent me a direct link where the file name said zip but still popped exe. A friend showed me how easy it is with html to disguise an exe file as a zip file. It's just a lot safer these days to get zips or sit. I can open them where I want when I want and use Windows Explorer to install the items from the zip into my own catagories in Poser. Liz

SWAM ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 4:26 PM

I have to do it every time by hand with my "German-Version". But I like the Zips more, because I can put them in folders where I want, without surching for the stuff.

Xena ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 6:06 PM

You can extract the contents of an exe into any folder of your choice. When the option comes up for where you'd like to install, instead of just accepting the defaults install it into a temp folder somewhere on your hard drive. I have a folder called Poser Files on my desktop and I install all Daz exe's to that folder, then manually place the contents from there. It's just as simple as extracting a zip to a temp folder :)

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 6:58 PM

I can't use exe's so I really don't like them.

doozy ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 7:01 PM

It's just as simple as extracting a zip to a temp folder Suppose I have a Mac... Freestuff that says "PC Only" will work fine for me, but not EXEs...

melanie ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 8:07 PM

I haven't noticed the .exe files in free stuff yet, but thanks, Liz, for pointing it out. I'll be on the watch for them. I'd rather have ZIPs, too. That way, you can install just the pieces of the files you want. Melanie

wgreenlee1 ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 8:24 PM

love the exes,just scan them with a virus scanner if youre worried about them,before you unzip them i mean,i think you right click on them then you can scan from there.......cheers!!!!

Poppi ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 8:35 PM

Thanks, Liz. I use winrar. i would not download an .exe file, either.

Dreamspinner ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 9:38 PM

I have virus checking software, but I'd rather not take the chance of downloading an exe file into my hard drive which might have a new virus or worm that current software cannot detect. It's just friendlier and nicer if zips or sit files were to be used. Liz

Jackson ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 10:02 PM

Most virus checkers are out of date before you even install them. Best way to avoid viruses is to stay away from any executeable whose source you are unsure of. Liz is right to be concerned.

Huolong ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 10:04 PM

And, you can't copy and exe onto a zip drive for transport. You have to burn it on a CD

Gordon

Jim Burton ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 7:32 AM

EXEs are an answer to a question nobody ever asked, they also keep Mac users from using the stuff, IMHO they shouldn't be allowed in Freestuff. Sits or Zips or JPEGs should be all that is allowed.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 1:38 PM

I can agree with not using exe files - I just wish everyone would create zipa with the appropriate directory/folder structure (starting at 'Poser 4'). Then, one click - unzip with folder names and it's done. My tiny gripe: Both Windows and Mac support long file names. I end up renaming half the downloads so I can remember that 'VPWmCH' is 'Vicky Police Woman'. Maybe a standard naming convention would bw nice as well P4W,VCK,MIK, etc. as an aid in naming files. But hey, it's free so I certainly can't complain too much. Thanks to all the contributors!

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.