Sun, Oct 6, 11:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Skullcap for LeFemme?

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 10:54 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 11:16 AM

I know she didn't come with one, but is there one somewhere and I am not seeing it?

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 11:23 AM

I can't spell today. LaFemme.... sheesh.

Anyway, barring that, how about a tutorial on creating conforming hair? I have never attempted to model hair, and I'd like to give it a go, since I can't find a hair prop that works for what I want.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 11:23 AM
Online Now!

I don't think so. I can make some (by "some" I mean "different groups setup") and release them free, if there's interest 😄

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 11:25 AM · edited Fri, 21 June 2019 at 11:26 AM
Online Now!

On conforming hair, that's a very long and complicated process. I know there is a paid PDF tutorial by someone who used to be at RDNA, I think it's over at DAZ - it's really good.

I'm trying to find it now.

- - - - - - 

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 11:27 AM
Online Now!

Here: https://www.daz3d.com/modeling-with-littlefox-hair-collection

this is the bundle that includes the one that covers the modelling process and the one that covers UV mapping and texturing.

- - - - - - 

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 11:29 AM

I think if you can make one, that would be great.

I can't do a paid tutorial. I guess I could take a conforming hair prop and export it to see what goes into the modeling. I know the texturing is probably the hardest part.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 11:31 AM

I'll check out that link. Maybe if it's not too expensive I'll beg the wife to let me get it...

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 11:33 AM

Oh dear lord. That is way too much for me. I guess I am going to try it the hard way and reverse engineer a prop...

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 11:43 AM

There is a morph for LaFemme that shapes her skull to match V4's. So you can use V4's hair with LaFemme.

I haven't tried it, but maybe you could use a V4 skullcap with that morph?

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 11:47 AM

I'm not sure if it would be of any help, but maybe Site Mail 3Dream to see if he would make one, as he has one he uses for a group of his hair products for V3/V4, M3/M4, Kids4 and DawnSE.

That said, he uses it to "texture" it to look like hair, but it does cover the entire scalp and the back of the neck, so may be just what you're looking for. Check it out here.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 11:50 AM

randym77 posted at 12:48PM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353919

There is a morph for LaFemme that shapes her skull to match V4's. So you can use V4's hair with LaFemme.

I have it, and it works well, but I think rokket wants to make his own hair, not necessarily transfer V4 hair for use with LaFemme.

Butterfly Dezignz

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 12:07 PM · edited Fri, 21 June 2019 at 12:08 PM

randym77 posted at 10:03AM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353919

I know it works, but I just can't find the hair I want. I am looking for something like Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman style or even better, Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman style. There is nothing I found that comes close, so I have to try to make my own. Strand based hair is a nightmare and doesn't cover the scalp very well without being so dense your pc chokes trying to render it. Most conformers are modeled on a skullcap, so that's what I am looking for. I am not sure that using that V4 skull morph won't drastically change my character's face...

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 12:12 PM

I could use the V4 skullcap, but I already tried a hair sim with the grouping tool and it was atrocious. Strand based hair is a nightmare to work with, and trying to style it with the tools in Poser is an exercise in beating your head against the wall.

So I want to create my own hair. I've just never done it, so I don't know where to begin. Well, I do... with a proper skullcap.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 12:30 PM
Online Now!

An alternative to learning to make hair is to search for tutorials on how to make hair for games. Search for "real-time game hair" - that should give you results about polygon hair instead of strand hair. Search that along with the name of the program you use for 3d modelling - I know there are many that focus on Blender, and on Zbrush, and on Maya - the rest I don't know. (I search for Zbrush which is my thing, but Blender and Maya keep showing up)

- - - - - - 

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 12:33 PM
Online Now!

Here, this is one of my favorites: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lP4vY scroll down for video.

I don't even know what program the artist is using to make the hair there? But it shows you well the logic behind polygon hair modelling, so you can apply to your program of choice.

- - - - - - 

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 12:43 PM

Thanks. I am looking at it now.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 12:47 PM

That is Maya. I have 3DS Max, but I am still trying to wrap my head around it. I have Blender 2.79, but I can't do anything with it except import obj and use the shrink wrap utility.. I model in Wings, so maybe I can pull this off with a lot more work than it would take in those more powerful apps...

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 12:49 PM

Now I need to find some reference pics

qaz ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 12:49 PM

Here is a video of how it is done in Blacksmith. I assume the techniques would be similar Link

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 12:51 PM

I am looking now

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 12:53 PM
Online Now!

Reference pictures are easy - look for hair in Pinterest.com ;) you could get lost in there for days just seeing hair styles.

- - - - - - 

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 12:57 PM

I avoid Pinterest like I owe it money. I had a profile on there a year or so ago. I would get bored and log on, 10 hours later I am deep in the rabbit hole and got nothing meaningful out of it, nor did I get anything done.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 12:59 PM
Online Now!

Well, there's always good ol' google - you're just looking for regular photographs of hairstyles.

- - - - - - 

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 1:05 PM

Yep

bwldrd ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 2:20 PM

Don't know if it will work for you or not, but check Wonder Hair at studiomaya3d.com

rokket posted at 2:18PM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353924

I know it works, but I just can't find the hair I want. I am looking for something like Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman style or even better, Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman style. There is nothing I found that comes close, so I have to try to make my own. Strand based hair is a nightmare and doesn't cover the scalp very well without being so dense your pc chokes trying to render it. Most conformers are modeled on a skullcap, so that's what I am looking for. I am not sure that using that V4 skull morph won't drastically change my character's face...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider me insane if you wish, but is your reality any better?

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 2:31 PM

bwldrd posted at 12:30PM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353957

Don't know if it will work for you or not, but check Wonder Hair at studiomaya3d.com

rokket posted at 2:18PM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4353924

It's cheap, but I am not going to buy things. Plus it's a Japan based site, and everything was in Yen.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 2:33 PM

I looked at Blacksmith 3D. Do they only offer the month subscription? I spend way too much time with no internet access to even consider that. What if my subscription runs out and I am days away from being on dry land and near a wifi spot?

bwldrd ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 3:41 PM

It is for sale outright also, not just subscription based.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider me insane if you wish, but is your reality any better?

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 3:56 PM

Maybe I will go back and take another look. I was looking for the permanent license price and didn't see it...

Boni ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 6:25 PM

If you can wait a few days ... I am making a skull cap to put in free stuff.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 6:27 PM · edited Fri, 21 June 2019 at 6:29 PM

Boni posted at 4:26PM Fri, 21 June 2019 - #4354009

If you can wait a few days ... I am making a skull cap to put in free stuff.

I sure can! I have to dig into my 3DS Max tutorials anyhow. I have a feeling I will get better results using splines or nurbs (is that what they are called?) than I can box modeling in Wings.

Boni ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 6:31 PM

I'm going to try to get some base textures in different hair colors made for it as well so you have a nice skull texture to start with.

Boni

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 7:42 PM

Nice. Thanks again.

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2019 at 10:02 PM

Ohhhh, very nice Boni. I look forward to seeing it. 😉

Butterfly Dezignz

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2019 at 6:09 PM

This will be packed up and ready to go to Free Stuff in the next day or two. Be kind, it is the first time I've tried this sort of thing.

Cap test.png

Boni

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2019 at 6:42 PM

It looks good in the render. I'll look for it when it gets approved...

Miss B ( ) posted Mon, 24 June 2019 at 8:56 PM

Very nicely done Boni. 🙂

Butterfly Dezignz

tonyvilters ( ) posted Tue, 25 June 2019 at 6:47 AM

Hi Boni, very nice of you to build a skullcap for dynamic hair. You did remember the discussion we had a the other forum, how hair can be colored through the skullcap texture, amended/adapted with the Color_Ramp? For the Texture / Color_Ramp combinations to work properly, you need the UV_Unwrap square and from top to bottom. best regards, Tony

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Tue, 25 June 2019 at 9:20 AM

tonyvilters posted at 10:19AM Tue, 25 June 2019 - #4354628

Hi Boni, very nice of you to build a skullcap for dynamic hair. You did remember the discussion we had a the other forum, how hair can be colored through the skullcap texture, amended/adapted with the Color_Ramp? For the Texture / Color_Ramp combinations to work properly, you need the UV_Unwrap square and from top to bottom. best regards, Tony

Tony, here's a suggestion......you make a skull cap your way and let Boni make hers her way. Let the customers decide which one they want to use.

tonyvilters ( ) posted Tue, 25 June 2019 at 10:48 AM

Here is a suggestion; Know what we where talking about before answering. You chit-chat and don't have a clue.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 25 June 2019 at 4:45 PM

Let's keep it civil in here, please. I have never had a thread locked on this forum and I don't want one now. Thank you.

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 02 July 2019 at 7:42 PM

Let us change the mood, my skull cap is in free stuff now ... Pick it up and let me know what you think.

Boni

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 02 July 2019 at 7:44 PM

Oh, cool! I will get it later when I am on my laptop. I am on my phone right now.

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 02 July 2019 at 9:07 PM

Thanks Boni, I just grabbed it. 😉

Butterfly Dezignz

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 02 July 2019 at 9:09 PM

I got it. I will unzip it and install it when i get the suit finished. Thank you so much for this!

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2019 at 10:57 AM

I am rendering a test image right now. I used your skullcap and just did a hair room thing. It's not going to be the final hair, but it doesn't look too bad at all. Thanks again, Boni!

rokket ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2019 at 11:08 AM

hair.png

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2019 at 9:49 AM

rokket posted at 10:48AM Sun, 07 July 2019 - #4356005

hair.png

Nice rokket, but turn off specular settings to get rid of the white glitter effect. Set you spec to black and 0 size.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2019 at 9:57 AM

I just used the hair shader under Superfly Basics in the material tab. That hair was not meant to be what I am going to use. It was just test of the skullcap. It renders nice even without strand hair on it, by the way.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 07 July 2019 at 9:59 AM

skullcap.png

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.