Sun, Oct 6, 6:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 3:44 am)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Poser Pro 11 / 11.1 users forced to pay $99 for 11.2 update or can't use???

Psych2 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 7:47 PM ยท edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 4:35 AM

When I bought PP11 it included a license to use as long as I wanted with no apparent sunset date. Now I get an email stating I must update to 11.2 for $99 or I MAY no longer use it. What kind of crap is that! Yet Poser 10 and below folks can still use their license without being forced to upgrade. Stupid move by Poser's new owner... time to move over to DS!

jennblake ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 7:59 PM ยท edited Wed, 18 September 2019 at 7:59 PM

That is not what the email said. As this is simply not true. If you own a valid serial/license key for Poser 11 or Poser Pro 11 you will be able to download and install the update to Poser Pro 11.2 HERE

Jenn

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 8:01 PM

facepalm

What to expect from Poser Pro 11.2

The Poser Pro 11.2 update will be released Thursday morning, Sept. 19 for some versions above Poser 10.

Poser Pro 11.2 is a "bridge" release, which means it does not contain epic new features, but rather bridges differences between the old Smith Micro version and the new Bondware version of Poser.

But the main reason for the update is the depreciation of Smith Micro's licensing system and implementation of Bondware's licensing management for some versions above Poser 10 (Poser 2014 Game Dev, Poser 11, and Poser Pro 11). **This update will convert your Poser to Poser Pro 11.2 at no additional cost.

If you have Poser 10 or below you do not have to update. Upgrades are $99 and can be found at PoserSoftware.com/store.**

Means if you have Poser 11, Pro 11 or Poser 2014 Game Dev, this update is FREE (aka at no cost) to you. For earlier versions, UPGRADES are $99.

Psych2 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 8:07 PM

Hi jennblake -- thanks for the quick response!

Here is what the email I just got stated:

Why you should update to Poser Pro 11.2 on Sept. 19

Sep 16, 2019 at 10:15 am by Michelle Willard Poser 11.2 additional content

Poser Pro 11.2 update will be released Thursday, Sept. 19 with eight gigs of new content for all users and a new license management system for versions above Poser 10, Poser parent company Bondware announced.

The update must be downloaded from PoserSoftware.com/downloads.

Poser Pro 11.2 is a "bridge" release. It does not contain epic new features, but rather bridges differences between the old Smith Micro version and the new Bondware version of Poser. This means things like license management, software distribution methods, branding, asset store search and so on, have been updated.

But the main reason for the update is the depreciation of Smith Micro's licensing system and implementation of Bondware's licensing management for versions above Poser 10 (Poser 2014 Game Dev, Poser 11, and Poser Pro 11).

If you do not update, your Poser may not work if you have a version above Poser 10 because the licensing system will not be able to complete the over-the-internet check needed to confirm your license key.

If you want your Poser to continue to work properly, you must update.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 8:12 PM

What I quoted above is from the newsletter sent out today, September 18, 2019 at 2:01 pm, with the direct statement that if you own Poser 11, 11 Pro or 2014 GD it will be at no cost to you. It is directly from Renderosity/Bondware (my apologies for not quoting properly, the editing window have expired), so *I trust that is enough proof for you that if you have a serial number key for one of those versions, the update will be at no cost to you. I am reasonably sure the staff is seriously in overdrive right now, but info was sent out today to further clarify the matter to those who may have been confused.

((disclaimer: not an employee, vendor or in any way affiliated with Bondware Inc.))

Psych2 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 8:33 PM

Well...

The first email said nothing about the update being free to Poser 11 users and I thought the $99 mentioned later was for everyone. What was most disturbing to me is that I can't continue using my PP11.1 without doing this update. I've had updates cause major problems before.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 8:39 PM

The reason for the update is the change of ownership and that without this update your software may stop working entirely, as detailed in several emails and posts on this forum (because of the activation system put in place by the previous owner). It is up to you what you do with the information given to you, but hopefully this will help others as well.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 8:45 PM

I have already updated several times as an early adopter and I have not had any major problems with each installation. It is your decision as to whether to update or not, but if you don't, your version might not function properly after the transfer of licensing methods. Are you willing to gamble on that scenario to place your trust in a company willing to keep Poser for its users rather than a financial bottom line.

Psych2 ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2019 at 9:06 PM

Thanks for the useful info from all of you and sorry I missed the full details of the upgrade. Hopefully the program will continue to function long enough to finish some work I'm not done with before I risk an upgrade.

NenaLuise ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2019 at 10:32 AM
Online Now!

Thanks a lot for the link Jenn :)

I always ended up in the store, to buy the update for $99 Now everything is on my PC, ready to get installed :)

jennblake posted at 4:30PM Sun, 22 September 2019 - #4362514

That is not what the email said. As this is simply not true. If you own a valid serial/license key for Poser 11 or Poser Pro 11 you will be able to download and install the update to Poser Pro 11.2 HERE

Jenn

shonsu ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2019 at 11:42 AM ยท edited Sun, 22 September 2019 at 11:45 AM

I too would like some clarification. As a user with a valid licence to Poser Pro 201, the initial information seemed to indicate you had to purchase the update to the PoserPro 11 (followed by updade to 11.2) . The link to the upgrade refers to a requirement following 21 day trial to purchase the licence in order to continue using the updated version. However, the information I received after my purchase appeared to indicate I didn't have to pay for the upgrade.

From the link - Downloads - Poser 11.2

Thanks for your interest in Poser. You can download and evaluate the app at any time. The app includes a 21-day free trial period after which you will be prompted to purchase a license and receive your serial number. You will need this serial number to register and download the additional content included with Poser. Please protect your serial number. Usage of the serial number beyond the allowed number of seats or excessive content downloads may temporarily disable your ability to use the software.

The newsletter from Sept 16 2019 stated the following: If you do not update, your Poser may not work if you have a version above Poser 10 because the licensing system will not be able to complete the over-the-internet check needed to confirm your license key. If you want your Poser to continue to work properly, you must update.

In email received Sept 18, 2019 because I own PoserPro 2014, I was provided link https://www.renderosity.com//mod/bcs/poser-pro-11-upgrade-from-game-dev-pro-2014-pro-2012-and-pro-2010/112660 which is the product upgrade to Poser 11.

My question is: Did I need to purchase the upgrade?

Thanks

David

Nails60 ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2019 at 12:43 PM

If you had poser pro 2014, not game dev there is no need for you to upgrade, the software will continue to run as normal, If you wish to upgrade, which is optional you will have to pay the 99USD price.

The upgrade is free to those who have versions of poser that will stop working, poser pro 2014 game dev, poser 11 and poser 11 pro

patlane ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2019 at 8:44 PM

Hello. Does anyone know how long we have to upgrade to V11.2 Is there a date for Poser versions to stop working. There will be many who are in the middle of jobs, projects and the like who will want to delay the upgrade for fear of not being able to finish, or worried over issues that my come due to the new upgrade. Has there been mention of a cut off date? Thanks Pat :)

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2019 at 9:51 PM

I don't know how accurate the report is, but I understand that the SM Servers are close to or already shut down.

shante ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 2:31 AM

Yeah I can relate to the problems that seem to come with updating....having the same problems. i downloaded ALL the stuff which took forever the feed was so darn slow it timed out for every download path. When it all finally got down I have no clue as to how to update my older Poser 11.1 with it all. Am I supposed to place all the content in the Runtime folder by hand? There was supposed to be some instller but I can't find it on my system and I downloaded it 5 times and it just seems to disappear.

Psych2 posted at 2:26AM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4362518

Well...

The first email said nothing about the update being free to Poser 11 users and I thought the $99 mentioned later was for everyone. What was most disturbing to me is that I can't continue using my PP11.1 without doing this update. I've had updates cause major problems before.

ghostman ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 2:39 AM

shante posted at 9:36AM Mon, 23 September 2019 - #4363490

Yeah I can relate to the problems that seem to come with updating....having the same problems. i downloaded ALL the stuff which took forever the feed was so darn slow it timed out for every download path. When it all finally got down I have no clue as to how to update my older Poser 11.1 with it all. Am I supposed to place all the content in the Runtime folder by hand? There was supposed to be some instller but I can't find it on my system and I downloaded it 5 times and it just seems to disappear.

The only installer there is is the Install Poser 11.exe and the PoserSupport.exe. The rest is zip files just like the ones you get from the store

"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

Join PoserLounge Chat

patlane ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 4:44 AM

So, it seems that no choice is given except to go through with the update and risk several weeks of problems, bugs and niggles unless i cut internet connection to Poser and use the software in a offline stand alone fashion until i have finished what i am doing. I can understand the requirements of Bondware Inc to make their asset safe, but i do feel that information regarding the transition cut off date has been a little sparse to say the least. I am one of the unfortunate who has not received any email with regards to this process, and only by reading through these forum threads at Renderosity do i have any idea what is happening. I have downloaded everything the Poser Software site has to offer but stall the update until i am convinced that the transition damage will be minimal and fixable in a short period of time. Airing on the side of caution is no bad thing.

Pat :)

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 5:20 PM ยท edited Mon, 23 September 2019 at 5:24 PM

Also be aware that if you're using Poser 11.1 on a 32 bit machine you cannot upgrade to 11.2, because 32-bit support has been dropped.

(This is the first I heard about that, from Ghostman, and shortly afterwards here's the confirmation from Jenn. Nothing about it,as far as I can see, on the "Why you should update to Poser Pro 11.2 on Sept. 19" page or in any of the emails about the upgrade)

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, andย HiveWire3Dย flavours (the DeviantArt andย CGBytesย flavour have been discontinued).

jawol ( ) posted Tue, 24 September 2019 at 12:12 AM

I 've been running Poser 11 and after updating to that obkigatory Poser 11.2 update Poser doesn#t work any more .They have stolen my Poser-Program I have paid for and damaged all my poser-work I have don since many years.Blame on You, Bondware Inc.!

RodS ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2019 at 5:07 PM

jennblake posted at 4:06PM Fri, 27 September 2019 - #4362514

Jenn

And I get a 404 page error. Nice.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

LeeMoon ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2019 at 6:41 PM

FYI - The posersoftware.com downloads page just came back online.

RodS ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2019 at 7:48 PM

Yep - I got everything! Thanks for the heads-up! ?

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

LeeMoon ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2019 at 8:13 PM

You're quite welcome, RodS!

structure ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2019 at 9:04 AM
Forum Coordinator

@4363750 Jawol, have you updated to latest version? Fixes are being continuously applied to the software, What happens with your poser? what is not working?

Locked Out

structure ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2019 at 9:04 AM
Forum Coordinator

Locked Out

jawol ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2019 at 6:23 AM

After a few days my latest Version started, not very well, but it started. I've been trying around some times with it, but then I went in my vacancies and now after returning, Poser doesn' start at all. I am asked to fill in my Serial-Number . So I did ,but now I'm told my Serial Number is wrong an d they want me to buy the program. I am a 70 year old Senior User, but I never made an experience like that. They are hijacking a program that I am using since many years.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Tue, 05 November 2019 at 9:01 AM

Okay, just to be sure you did download the latest update and installed it, right?

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2938482

Moderators: perhaps the thread I just linked should be stickied on this forum as well, given how pertinent it is to Poser 11? Thank you!

jawol ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 5:47 AM

I have downloaded and installed it in September and did it now again . Now the opening screen of poser pro 11.2 is shown for a few seconds, then the program window starts opening but crashes immediately. I am really disappointed and I think I now have to stop using poser for my last yaers for i don't want to be upset every day. Goodbye Poser! I had fine years with you!

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 6:55 AM

And you installed both the update and the second file with the support files? That crash sounds like the program is looking for the content of support files.

structure ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 7:21 AM ยท edited Wed, 06 November 2019 at 7:21 AM
Forum Coordinator

@4369341 are you using windows or mac?

if windows uninstall poser using Geek uninstaller, then reinstall with the download from posersoftware.com

if mac use one of these uninstallers to remove poser, then reinstall poser with the download from posersoftware.com

Locked Out

structure ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 7:21 AM
Forum Coordinator

Locked Out

jawol ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 7:46 AM

I have installed the update an the support files. Iam using Windows10 and had to put the content to an other partition of my HDD for the main partition has not enough free space for all the content.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 8:00 AM

This is the point where I suggest that you put in a support ticket and let the pros take a look. Support can be filed here, and you don't need to create an account for it like you had to on SM:

https://support.posersoftware.com/portal/newticket

jawol ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 9:11 AM

To Rhia474 Thank you very much for your advices! I will try to contact the support and I hope I can answer all those difficult questions the form aks me to fill in. I also hope the support will understand my poor english for I only have few remains from my schooldays more than fifty years ago.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Wed, 06 November 2019 at 9:55 AM

Your English is great, don't worry. If something is not clear from the form, just copy and paste into Google translate to your native language--it helps a lot.

https://translate.google.com/

Bendinggrass ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2019 at 11:53 AM

Rhia474 posted at 1:51PM Tue, 19 November 2019 - #4362519

The reason for the update is the change of ownership and that without this update your software may stop working entirely, as detailed in several emails and posts on this forum (because of the activation system put in place by the previous owner). It is up to you what you do with the information given to you, but hopefully this will help others as well.

Why should it stop working? Does my version of PP 11 contact the builder/company every time I open it?

Rhia474 ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2019 at 11:55 AM

It will stop working because the previous owner shut down their servers, and yes Poser 11 is a phone home software, it was like that since its release. I didn't write the program, I just try to help.

Bendinggrass ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2019 at 8:09 PM ยท edited Tue, 19 November 2019 at 8:10 PM

Now that I have installed the new version of PP11, I guess I download the content from the same page? Is that right?

Also note, the new version of PP11 lost contact with the runtimes I had attached to my old version.

structure ( ) posted Wed, 20 November 2019 at 9:49 AM
Forum Coordinator

you can reconnect your runtimes easily - just hit the add runtime button on library panel and navigate to where your runtimes are stored.

and yes download the content form the access page - you will need your licence number.

Locked Out

virginiese ( ) posted Sun, 01 December 2019 at 1:06 PM
Online Now!

hello,

I have a problem with my copy of poser 11. I've reinstalled windows 7 and Poser 11 (of course !). When I entered my license numbered it didn't accept it. A windows opens and says taht the maximum of activation for this license has been exceeded ! I don't like it very much... Is there a solution to my problem ?

structure ( ) posted Sun, 01 December 2019 at 1:10 PM
Forum Coordinator

please see this thread

Locked Out

Tartan ( ) posted Mon, 02 December 2019 at 8:07 AM

Well somehow my Poser launched without me applying the 11.2 update which I DIDN"T want! Fortunately I have a solution. I am going to a back up drive with my fully functioning Poser 11.1 and pulling the plug on the net until I install a new firewall. Then I am banning all poser communications to the net. Here is the thing. Not only was i missing my Go Z to Z brush, I was missing my fbx export. I stuck with poser for many years in defiance of Daz3d. I am done upgrading Poser and will export everything I have to Character Creator 3.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.