Mon, Oct 21, 4:59 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 4:13 pm)

Subject: Poser Install Directory

ribroast ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2019 at 12:11 AM · edited Fri, 18 October 2024 at 8:53 AM

I'm ready to do the update, ran the 11.2 installer that I JUST downloaded (so it should be the latest) but I don't seem to be able to set the install directory. I personally don't install Poser in the Program Files directory since I mess around in there a lot and even though I'm a administrator, there can be issues. My "C" drive is a SSD and I install many of my programs on my large "D" drive, would this not be possible with Poser anymore? Just wondering, I actually do install Poser on the SSD in C:PoserVersion#. I use Poser a lot so it warrants space on the SSD, but I would prefer to not put it in "Program Files". I did see that I could put the default Runtime on the "D" drive, so that is good. Most of my content is on my server so I can access it from multiple machines. As for the new content, that's great, but I already have most of it anyways. Not knocking it though, it's good for new users and makes the brand stronger. So I aborted the install because I want to know where it intends to put itself. Anyways, excited about Poser's new home.

MarianneR ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2019 at 12:58 AM

My old installation of Poser was at C:/Poser/Poser 11. Just like you I tried to set the installation path as I don't want Poser in "Program Files". Well, there wasn't any chance to change the path during the installation so I went ahead and installed anyway. Turns out that Poser 11.2 installed on top of Poser 11.1, in the same folder and seems to work fine. I chose to keep preferences during installation and all my old runtimes are in the library, just like in 11.1.

ribroast ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2019 at 1:31 AM

Thanks for the info MarianneR. I was going to install it anyways, but it just bothered me, so I put it off for awhile. For some reason the slashes would not show up in my post, but my Poser location is the same as yours, been doing it for years. Most software I let go to Program Files and forget about it, but Poser is more "Hands On" and Windoze is kind of touchy about that directory. I realize it's for security so that's OK.

MarianneR ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2019 at 1:58 AM

I don't know if it is necessary anymore to install outside of the Program Files directory, but some time in the past (don't remember when) I had a problem with a script or an addon that wouldn't work when Poser was installed to Program Files. Someplace in a forum I read about installing outside of Program Files and that solved my problem.

gate ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2019 at 6:36 AM

MarianneR posted at 1:36PM Sun, 22 September 2019 - #4363261

I don't know if it is necessary anymore to install outside of the Program Files directory, but some time in the past (don't remember when) I had a problem with a script or an addon that wouldn't work when Poser was installed to Program Files. Someplace in a forum I read about installing outside of Program Files and that solved my problem.

I experienced if you Install Poser 11 into Program Files there is an issue when generating a Figure through the Hierarchy Editor when you assembled the Props to convert. Poser will then save the generated Figure with bones into new figures but due that Program Files is a Protected folder it never was able to save the figure without notification even if the folder would be in shared documents.

This issue is solved when poser is installed in an other Path then Program Files even if it is directly saved on the C root drive :)

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2019 at 7:07 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2019 at 7:08 AM
Forum Coordinator

The hierarchy file conversion works fine as long as the content Runtime is not in the program files folder but in some location of your convenience where you have full access rights. The generated .cr2 goes into that Runtime folder.

The only files in the installation folder users may want to tamper with are Python scripts in the scriptsmenu. PoserPython offers user-writable storage (PoserTempLocation and PoserPrefsLocation) where scripts can do their storage as appropriate. Older scripts may still rely on free write to subfolders. In that case you could consider changing the permissions to these subfolders or, indeed, install Poser elsewhere.

ribroast ( ) posted Sun, 22 September 2019 at 6:37 PM

The main reason I prefer to install Poser outside of Program Files is for working with scripts. I'm not a Python power user, but I do some edits on scripts and some of the Python scripts I have write stuff, even create new scripts. Of course none of the scripts work now after I did the update, so there is that problem. Anyways, I still consider my computer to be mine, and I don't like software that don't let me do what I want to do. (Like Windoze maybe?) "PoserPython offers user-writable storage (PoserTempLocation and PoserPrefsLocation)". This is news to me, like I said, not a Python guru. I learned something today, thanks FVerbaas.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.