Sun, Oct 6, 8:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Star Trek: Discovery, anyone?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 2:06 PM ยท edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 6:16 AM

Following my recent re-viewing of all the old ST stuff, including the dreadful Enterprise, I - against all odds - watched Discovery. Have to say I'm thoroughly impressed. I like it for all the reasons I like the modern Doctor Who, but I can understand why diehard Trekkers may not be so keen.

All that said, I wondered if there are any Poser items available in the style of - or exactly like - Discovery. Uniforms, props, sets and whatnot. I don't think I'm going to be building any myself, or at least, not for some time, but I'll gladly grab any that are around.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 2:30 PM

Discovery sucks.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 2:52 PM

VanishingPoint has a ton of Trek stuff. Can't call it Trek stuff, of course, but it is. (I've bought all their Voyager stuff.)

I don't actually watch Discovery (didn't like the first episode enough to buy a subscription), so I'm not sure exactly what it looks like. But the "Galactic Oligarch" uniform in the VP store looks like a DIS uniform, that would need re-texturing. They have a bunch of different bridge sets, sickbay sets, engineering rooms, etc. I only recognize the TOS and VOY ones.

They also have Trek freebies at ShareCG and at their web site. I know they have a free model of the Discovery ship.

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 2:55 PM

Alas, I can't subscribe to every little thing ... so CBS is out and thus so is Discovery. I understand your views on Enterprise. I loved the characters and the first 2 seasons ... then it sort of imploded and lost it. As for items for Discovery ... you might want to contact Vanishing Point's store here on Renderosity ... they do an extensive Star Trek themed content.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 2:59 PM

EClark1894 posted at 8:58PM Tue, 01 October 2019 - #4365217

Discovery sucks.

No, no, don't hold back, mate! Speak your mind! ๐Ÿ˜

My Store

My Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 2:59 PM

Folks, I know there's a lot of Trek stuff out there but Discovery has a unique look, and that's what I'm after.

My Store

My Gallery

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 3:02 PM ยท edited Tue, 01 October 2019 at 3:05 PM

Boni posted at 4:00PM Tue, 01 October 2019 - #4365222

Alas, I can't subscribe to every little thing ... so CBS is out and thus so is Discovery. I understand your views on Enterprise. I loved the characters and the first 2 seasons ... then it sort of imploded and lost it. As for items for Discovery ... you might want to contact Vanishing Point's store here on Renderosity ... they do an extensive Star Trek themed content.

I watched the first episode on CBS All Access streaming. It sucked. Didn't like it. Thought I had been too harsh and gave it another shot for season 2. Nope, I was right the first time. Discovery sucks.

And I was right about a female Doctor too. Although, I did like the first episodes.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 3:06 PM

Boni posted at 3:01PM Tue, 01 October 2019 - #4365222

Alas, I can't subscribe to every little thing ... so CBS is out and thus so is Discovery. I understand your views on Enterprise. I loved the characters and the first 2 seasons ... then it sort of imploded and lost it.

Interesting. I bailed out about halfway through the first episode of ENT, but I was under the impression that the show improved a lot toward the end. It was too late, though. ENT was cancelled before it went the planned 7 years.

I don't think they really understood the appeal of Trek. TNG had yuuuuuge ratings. Even when it was cancelled, it was in the top 3 of US shows. DS9 started out with similar ratings, but they fell sharply. So they decided that VOY would be "not like DS9." Not as dark, no story arcs, more action and less characterization. Only to see VOY's ratings fall through DS9's floor, and keep dropping (yes, even after Seven joined the cast). So ENT was supposed to be "not like VOY." And its ratings plunged through VOY's floor.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 3:16 PM

Over here Discovery is on Netflix, and they're touting as a "Netflix Original", which it clearly isn't.

Anyhow, branding aside, I like it far more than any other iteration.

So there. ๐Ÿ˜

My Store

My Gallery

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 3:46 PM
Site Admin

Definitely check out sharecg. Saw the USS Discovery there. I didn't look through all the 38 pages worth of stuff, but I saw uniforms for every other iteration. They might have the one you want too.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 4:13 PM

The uniform iterations at ShareCG are recreation textures based on the online game. I haven't seen any uniforms based on Discovery yet (keyword: yet).

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 4:45 PM

I think this is supposed to be the Discovery bridge, or a reasonable facsimile:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/starship-bridge-16-for-poser/137508/

There's a free texture for it that's supposed to make it look like the Discovery bridge:

https://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freeitemdetail.asp?FreeItemID=941

VanishingPoint/JHoagland often do stuff like that, I think. The model looks different enough to avoid the copyright police, then there's freebie textures. You might try asking him if he's done any more Discovery stuff.

quietrob ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 5:10 PM

So the Brexits have Discovery on their Netflix but Yanks can't get it without subscribing to yet ANOTHER streaming service?

Earl is right. I've never seen an episode but for sticking it to the HOME of Star Trek? Earl. IS. Right.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 8:04 PM

quietrob posted at 7:58PM Tue, 01 October 2019 - #4365271

So the Brexits have Discovery on their Netflix but Yanks can't get it without subscribing to yet ANOTHER streaming service?

Earl is right. I've never seen an episode but for sticking it to the HOME of Star Trek? Earl. IS. Right.

Yeah, that's about it. For most of the world, Discovery is on Netflix. In the US and Canada, it's a separate streaming subscription (on CBS and Crave, respectively).

That may be why there's not more Poser Discovery stuff. I think the audience in the US is much smaller than it was for previous versions of Trek.

Be interesting to see what happens when Star Trek: Picard starts streaming. I was never a fan of TNG, so I'm still not tempted to subscribe, but I bet others will.

quietrob ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 9:52 PM

The Discovery by long time Poser creator, Vanishing Point. Links directly to the ship.

quietrob ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 9:54 PM ยท edited Tue, 01 October 2019 at 9:55 PM

randym77 posted at 7:52PM Tue, 01 October 2019 - #4365312

Be interesting to see what happens when Star Trek: Picard starts streaming. I was never a fan of TNG, so I'm still not tempted to subscribe, but I bet others will.

Picard, Spock, Janeway, Sisko and Adama (Edward James Olmos) would be my favorite captains in order. I'll be watching what is certain to be a darker Picard.

WILL_I_AM ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 12:51 AM

quietrob posted at 10:47PM Tue, 01 October 2019 - #4365327

randym77 posted at 7:52PM Tue, 01 October 2019 - #4365312

Picard, Spock, Janeway, Sisko and Adama (Edward James Olmos) would be my favorite captains in order. I'll be watching what is certain to be a darker Picard.

Spock???? Really? I hope you meant Kirk and also meant to put him first. :)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 4:17 AM

Thanks, all. ๐Ÿ˜„

My Store

My Gallery

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 4:34 AM

randym77 posted at 5:32AM Wed, 02 October 2019 - #4365312

quietrob posted at 7:58PM Tue, 01 October 2019 - #4365271

Yeah, that's about it. For most of the world, Discovery is on Netflix. In the US and Canada, it's a separate streaming subscription (on CBS and Crave, respectively).

That may be why there's not more Poser Discovery stuff. I think the audience in the US is much smaller than it was for previous versions of Trek.

It took me the first season to get into TNG. It got arguably better after Riker grew his beard, Geordi got promoted and Yar was killed off.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 5:23 AM

EClark1894 posted at 5:18AM Wed, 02 October 2019 - #4365365

It took me the first season to get into TNG. It got arguably better after Riker grew his beard, Geordi got promoted and Yar was killed off.

A lot of fans think the first two years were pretty bad. Basically, it improved once Gene Roddenberry's health declined to the point that he couldn't be involved any more. His view of the future was so idealistic that there wasn't much conflict. Which made it boring.

I just never found the TNG characters appealing. I loved the TOS and VOY characters. Which is why I still love VOY, even though I'm disappointed with the writing overall.

quietrob ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 6:16 AM

randym77 posted at 4:08AM Wed, 02 October 2019 - #4365370

EClark1894 posted at 5:18AM Wed, 02 October 2019 - #4365365

A lot of fans think the first two years were pretty bad. Basically, it improved once Gene Roddenberry's health declined to the point that he couldn't be involved any more. His view of the future was so idealistic that there wasn't much conflict. Which made it boring.

I just never found the TNG characters appealing. I loved the TOS and VOY characters. Which is why I still love VOY, even though I'm disappointed with the writing overall.

Hmm, I hated Riker's beard. I think they had him grow it so he would seem less Kirk-like (sorry for the body shaming but I think he put on a few pounds is another reason he grew the beard. Riker himself was played well, I had a crush on Yar though they could've written her better and stopped removing sex from the show. Geordi was an original character whose personality grew on you. I liked Voyager except for Tuvak. The weakest Vulcan they could find. I knew Mr. Spock. Mr. Spock was my friend. Tuvok was no Mr. Spock. Fun Fact : Practically the entire crew did animation together. Gargoyles and an episode of Family Guy.

randym77 ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 7:46 AM

Actually, Riker's beard was Jonathan Frakes' doing. He grew it during the off-season, fully expecting that they would make him shave it off once production started. But they liked the beard. (The Navy, the branch of the US military Starfleet is based on, allows beards, unlike the other branches.) So they let him keep it.

I think Riker has suffered a bit because his "type" of character hasn't aged well. Like Tom Paris, he seems a little creepy now. Back then, it was common for the hero to be a womanizer. Now, that's pretty unappealing.

I suspect Tuvok was weak because that's what Rick Berman wanted. At the time, he and Leonard Nimoy were locked in a power struggle. Berman was the producer...but Nimoy played the most popular character, and he could basically get whatever he wanted just by refusing to be in any more movies.

Berman took it out on other Vulcan characters. The snotty Vulcan baseball players in "Take Me Out To the Holosuite." Vorik, who assaults B'Elanna, then gets beat up by her. And Tuvok. While Spock was stronger than humans, Tuvok was often the weakest. He became a laughingstock in the later seasons, which ticked me off. I like the character, and I think Tim Russ played him just right (he obviously studied Nimoy's portrayal). But the way they wrote him was very disrespectful.

quietrob ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 3:46 PM

I think it's a desexing of the shows because of offended sensibilities. How dare a woman wear a miniskirt as part of her uniform? They did on TNG and then they promptly disappeared. I am sure there was an even episode where they came across a species that had no different sexes. They were unisex. I do not want to live in that perfectly balanced society.

I am reading a gladiator godhood novel right now where one of the women were commenting on how crude the men of the Arena were. The leader of the women simply shrugged, sat back and said, "Best to let men be men." Women should take note that not long from now.

There will not be any more men.

Poor Tim Russ. He didn't have enough pull to complain. I am a bit disappointed that squabbling destroyed and humiliated a character that should've been the coolest of them all. I lost count of how many times the wife said, "That is one weak ass Vulcan". Considering how they wrecked Wesley Crusher (how cool it would've been to have a captain named Crusher), I shouldn't be surprised. Still, you have to sit through an episode of Q reenacting Robin Hood (Seriously?) if you're also going to get a show like "the Inner Light" or even the Finale, "All good Things".

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.