Mon, Sep 9, 5:54 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / New Poser Users Help

Welcome to the New Poser Users Help Forum

Forum Moderators: Anim8dtoon, RedPhantom, Staff

New Poser Users Help F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 12:24 am)

New to Poser? Ask questions here for expert help!

Subject: Some questions about the Poser 11.2 upgrade

CliffA ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 10:49 AM · edited Thu, 05 September 2024 at 9:35 AM

When I saw the announcement here, I went to PoserSoftware.com to download the 11.2 upgrade. But I have some questions. As I mentioned in a separate thread, I'm trying to register on their help desk system to post my questions. But I thought I might mention them here, in case anyone else had the same questions.

I have Poser Pro 11.1, purchased from Smith Micro. The 11.2 download (for Windows) on PoserSoftware.com is called "Install Poser 11.exe". Will this upgrade the "pro" version as well as the standard version? Or do I need to download a different installer for the pro version?

My current software is installed under C:Program FilesSmith MicroPoser 11. I assume this will no longer be the case with the new version because Smith Micro sold Poser. Before installing 11.2, should I uninstall 11.1 so I don't have two versions on the disk, or will the new installer program automatically clean up the old Smith Micro folder?

CliffA ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 10:53 AM

BTW, in my question about the installation directory, I had backslashes in the path I mentioned, but the markdown parser removed them. I hope my meaning is still clear! I meant to ask if I should manually get rid of the Smith Micro folder under Program Files, because presumably the new version will go into a different folder (BondWare, maybe).

jennblake ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 11:09 AM

We do not ask anyone to register or create an account on the help desk. Just submit a ticket. 😄

Our update will work for both standard Poser 11 and Poser Pro 11.

You need to manually uninstall the SM version and ours will install under a Poser Software folder. Remember to either keep or backup your preferences during installation.

Jenn

CliffA ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 11:27 AM

That sounds perfect, Jenn. I will uninstall the SM version, then use the "Install Poser 11.exe" installer. I presume that it is my serial number which will "unlock" the "pro" features, since there is just one installer.

I actually have a couple more questions, but I'll post them separately in case anyone else is looking for the same answer.

Thanks!

donnena ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 1:47 PM

You will have the pro features.

;>

Andy!

EpiEndless ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 3:19 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2019 at 3:22 PM

Hi,

can someone tell me what PoserSupport.exe is, please?

Do I need it before or after InstallPoser11.exe?

Also, do I need ZZLegacyPoser11-installminimum_basic.zip if I install all the others?

Thanks, Epi

donnena ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 3:27 PM

Please place the support file in the same folder you Install Poser. exe is in. The installer will automatically load the contents of the support file. You CAN install it manually, by double clicking it, but you will have to hunt for your Poser install.

;>

Andy!

EpiEndless ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 3:53 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2019 at 3:55 PM

Thanks.

Are the download files stable now? I notice several of them changed since I first downloaded them.

e.g. there's now one PropsAndTransportation.zip, vs two when I first downloaded.

CliffA ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 4:11 PM

I also wondered what PoserSupport.exe was. Thanks Andy!

I also downloaded all the content files, after entering my serial # to get access. I will also if they changed since I did that a few days ago.

But I wondered if this was necessary to download content files by hand at all? The old version had a download manager (SmithDLM?) that was sort of like Daz's. Does the new Poser have a DLM that will take care of finding and downloaded content?

Rhia474 ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 5:42 PM

No, it does not at the moment, unless Bondware decides to implement one at a later date--all content, like before on this site, is manual download like it always was. This is a bridge release to address the pure fact that the software has changed ownership and the previous owner's server authentication stopped working. For now, content is downloaded manually for the software. I remember to do that many, many times with the old Vue site as well (hah, I am so dated).

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 7:52 PM

To clarify, the new installer will update/upgrade everyone to Poser Pro 11.2. You do not need to uninstall the previous version because the installer will uninstall it automatically if you allow it to proceed. The only files remaining will be those that were manually installed by you. And if you elected to use your existing preferences, the updated software will continue to use those preferences. The installer will populate those folders originally created by SM.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 7:58 PM

Indeed. As long as you proceed following instructions (your Poser was Poser 11, 11 Pro or Poser 2014 Game Developer), allow the uninstaller to uninstall, choose to retain previous preferences and install in order listed on website, I do believe it should go smoothly. Just a little patience.

CliffA ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 8:03 PM

Thanks, Rhia and hborre. Installing the content manually is fine. I downloaded it already.

But can I clarify something you said, hborre, about populating the folders created by SM? So the new installer will uninstall my old version 11.1 automatically. But will it put version 11.2 in C:/Program Files/Smith Micro/Poser 11, the folder created by SM for the progam? Or will it create a new folder, like C:/Program Files/Bondware/Poser 11?

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 8:37 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2019 at 8:38 PM

By my observation, when the installer attempts to create the Program Files folders, it encounters the Smith Micro/Poser 11. Its response is "do you want to use that location?" (paraphrasing, of course). I allow it to go ahead and hijack the folder. Makes it convenient to find after all these years for me. In addition, my scripts will not disappear because they were manually installed and are not affected by the Poser uninstaller.

CliffA ( ) posted Mon, 23 September 2019 at 9:37 PM

Makes sense. Thanks!

malcolm474 ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2019 at 2:24 PM

I just upgraded from Poser Pro 11 to Poser Pro 11.2. It deleted all of my DSON libraries. The Animation Palette is very twitchy and will freeze up on me. I am trying to 'make movie.' The settings are WMV medium quality and Preview size. It is rendering at a very slow rate. I tried letting it work after I went to bed last night and when I woke up, my computer was frozen up and only half the movie was done. I didn't have any of these problems before upgrading. The movie that I am trying to render is 4700 frames.

1. What happened to my DSON libraries?
  2. Can I undo the upgrade?
  3. Is there a solution to the twitchy Animation Palette?
  4. What suggestions do you have to improve the efficiency on 'make movie.'
  5. It looks like there was a major change to the organizational structure for Poser. Is Smith Micro gone? Did Renderosity take over?

Nails60 ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 5:08 AM

I can't answer all your questions but I'll try to answer some

1 When installing the update did you select keep your preferences or use the default of back up your preferences. If the latter you will either have to revert to your previous preferences (I assume by copying the back up file and overwriting the new file, but I have never done this) or add your libraries back manually using the add library button in poser library pallet.

2 Your previous version of poser will no longer work. This is due to SM closing down the activation servers, so you cannot goback unfortunately

3, 4 Can't help on these, sorry.

5 SM has sold Poser to Bondware (Rendo's parent company). SM still exists but has nothing to do with poser anymore

feedesneige ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 11:46 AM

I had Poser Pro 11 on my Mac. I installed Poser 11.2. Now, the window is 2552 by 126 and I can't change it manually. What can I do to correct this problem?window_document_size.jpegPoser 11.2.jpeg

malcolm474 ( ) posted Wed, 02 October 2019 at 11:39 PM

Thanks, Nails. I appreciate your quick and honest response.

malcolm474 ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2019 at 10:20 AM

I was using Poser 11 Pro and working on an animation with 4500 frames (2 1/2 minutes). I upgraded to Poser 11.2 Pro. Since then, I have been unable to use the animation palette because my computer freezes up and when I try to make a movie on WMV high resolution, the program shuts down after 55 seconds of the 2 1/2 minute movie. I am using a Dell XPS 8700 with an Nvidia GeForce graphics card which I got specifically to help me do animations. So, I have given up on Poser 11.2 Pro. Since I can't go back to Poser 11 Pro, I am now using the Poser 10 program that I still had on my computer. I am going to be shopping for other animation programs.

KageRyu ( ) posted Sun, 03 November 2019 at 1:44 AM

@feedesneige The reason you can not change the window size through menus anymore is because of how the docked windows work in Poser. The only way I know is to use the drag tools on the sides of any of the windows/work panes and resize them by hand. Alternatively, you could make the window floating and then resize it through that window, but the minute you re-dock it the program will resize it again to some arbitrary size (something I always hated about the newer interface)

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!

em_path ( ) posted Fri, 28 February 2020 at 11:25 AM

PLEASE HELP! My external hard drive failed. I paid a recovery service to get back my stuff. It moved my Poser 11 stuff to a new external hard drive - (but all files now have the same date!). I updated to Bondware version. But, then, I had to change the drive letter on the new external drive, because it kept switching drive letters every time I removed the drive and put it back. It's a mess. Can I completely uninstall Poser from the new drive and reinstall to the new external drive with the Bondware update? I just want it in a folder with this path to my external drive: M:/Poser/.... I don't want it on C !

Aletha ( ) posted Fri, 03 April 2020 at 4:36 PM

Downloads - Poser 11.3 I downloaded all the files open the upgrade 11.3 Program, it took out the 11.2, put in the 11.3 it worked, but the Queue Manager doesn't have any files in it so I am going to have to install each one & there is a lot. I starting opening the Download Additional Files Zip & most want open only a few. Is anyone having problems opening the Zip files? Queue Manager isn't it for downloading them auto I don't see how or why there not in there. Thanks for any help.

ghostman ( ) posted Sat, 04 April 2020 at 12:23 AM

@Aletha Queue Manager is not for downloading files. It's for network rendering.

"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

Join PoserLounge Chat

Aletha ( ) posted Sat, 04 April 2020 at 1:07 AM

Last time I remember now, I upgraded the 11 I had Smith Micro Download Manager, on my desk top it's still there, but it want up date to the 11.3 it stays on the last upgrade to re in stall, I just don't know how to get the Download Additional Files Zips in my program. Is there a Download Manager set up for 11.3? Thanks for the reply now I know what the Queue Manager is.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 04 April 2020 at 9:37 AM

Once you download the zip files there is an 'INstall from Zip File' command within Poser itself under the File menu. Use that and choose the runtime you want it in. Or you can use your computer's filemanager and manually install, but that requires understanding the file structure of the program )()which is covered in the manual that comes with the program).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.