Wed, Sep 18, 1:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Poser Height Guides

quietrob ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2019 at 2:23 AM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 1:24 PM

Just thought I'd post some information on Poser models and their various heights. So first is a pic showing why I use the figure height to reduce the heights of the models and their clothing and then the individual tables from Apollo Maximus to Genesis 8 to LaFemme. I found it on Deviant Arts and Morphology. Apparently the webmaster is keeping the page up after all these years. This would be better if I could use thumbnails like the Hive but "Tis enough, will serve."

Layla and Heather Height.jpg

quietrob ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2019 at 2:49 AM

Next is a simple height chart that list celebrities and their height. You may wish to use this as a guide if you make a look-a-like or just want to set your character's height to be the same as these A and B list celebrities. The side character on the chart was not by done by me. I chose not to crop it out. Enjoy!

d50x59j-d8696a40-eff5-4870-a952-c2269d62e08e.jpg

quietrob ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2019 at 2:56 AM

Finally just straight information. It includes the chart with the schoolgirls and much more. Here you go. Scale of Models in Poser

an0malaus ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2019 at 5:26 AM

Thanks for these, quietrob 😄

My ShareCG Stuff

Verbosity: Profusely promulgating Graham's number epics of complete and utter verbiage by the metric monkey barrel.

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2019 at 6:46 AM

Very nice and practical. I will definitely grab a copy of this. Thanks.

movida ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2019 at 7:30 AM

thank you :)

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2019 at 10:04 AM

Great info, thank you!

ghostship2 ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2019 at 12:37 PM

you can't just scale your figure down to match a particular height.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2019 at 1:51 PM

Thank you, very much.

quietrob ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2019 at 2:24 PM

quietrob posted at 12:22PM Sat, 02 November 2019 - #4368994

ghostship2 posted at 11:33AM Sat, 02 November 2019 - #4368982

you can't just scale your figure down to match a particular height.

If that is a question, certainly you know the answer, Ghostship. It's a question that Earl asked me as well. The answer is,Of course you can. However, if like me you are using Poser to make your own comic, you do a few things to make things faster. One of them involves good old fashioned Henchmen. For the individual characters like the two schoolgirls above, they get customized and detailed. But for Henchmen and Henchwomen, they get the same clothes or armor or uniforms. Typically I like my bad guys to be bigger or taller than my heroines with a single notable exception important only to me, I suppose. To do this quickly, I can use figure height (They ARE older figures) to make them all tall and it usually it works just as well on clothing with only one or two or often NO tweaks before they are replicated. As I told one of my fans, you need bad guys to dispatch with righteous anger. Thanks to figure height, I can ask and answer this. How long did it take to make all of those henchman in the scene below? Not long at all.

I apologize for the poses. I can manage it better now. From my Comic "Temple". Story : Sensitive Information. Page 34

Page_34 copy.jpg

MKDAWUSS ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2019 at 2:52 PM

So what's the point of reference that determines what everything's height is supposed to be? Considering anything and everything scales up and down.

quietrob ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2019 at 5:30 PM · edited Sat, 02 November 2019 at 5:32 PM

Hmm, in this case, The schoolgirls who will be appearing in the upcoming miniseries are standing besides the reference. It only takes a few clicks to find the average of height of a teenager. Then you simply decide how tall or short you want them to be. That is actually a nine foot wall. Not too many characters in the Poser world are nine feet tall. The Poser Measuring Tool also works well and lists items in feet and inches. As far any other figure goes, there is a table that shows their height above. I provided a link. So I take M3 or M4 as a starting point and then increase their size using the Figure Height menu.

Is that what you wished to know, @MKDAWUSS? Let me know. I'm cooking sketti with sausage right now. I wish I had some red wine.

MKDAWUSS ( ) posted Sun, 03 November 2019 at 5:33 PM

Sort of. I guess it's the fact that in 3D world, you need something as the baseline to which height can be determined from. Prior to this thread, the only thing I knew about V4 being 5'10" and M4 being 6'2" was some post somewhere saying they were.

And a lot of props and figures aren't necessarily to scale when paired with each other.

quietrob ( ) posted Sun, 03 November 2019 at 10:21 PM

I think it also concerns which version of Poser or Vue or even blender you are using. That was something I never knew. I really just read it was good if you use multiple characters for them to be all different sizes.

Scharmers ( ) posted Mon, 04 November 2019 at 2:24 PM · edited Mon, 04 November 2019 at 2:26 PM

It's a trap. Units are pretty much what you say they are. Props and figures over the years have all used different standards, and scaling is all over the map.

My technique relies on Bob. Bob is a M4. I take Bob, morph him around to resemble a reasonable human being, and then declare: "Bob is six feet tall. Everybody's height and scaling revolves around Bob. This includes props as well as characters. There are none more 72 inches than Bob." Bob gets stashed in a library.

So whenever I need to scale stuff I'll swing Bob in and use the Mk I eyeball. OK, OK, I might cheat a little and use some sizing apparatus thing, but it's all based on Bob.

Remember the Golden Rule of Poser Scaling: if it looks good, it is good.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.