Sat, Sep 21, 9:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: How many people are using Vue 4 with Windows 98??

tradivoro ( ) posted Tue, 16 October 2001 at 10:44 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:32 PM

And for those that are using Win 98, can you all render to disk??? I'm just trying to figure out if this rendering to disk problem is happening because Vue 4 is optimized for Windows 2000...

Varian ( ) posted Tue, 16 October 2001 at 11:22 PM

file_221731.jpg

Rendered to disk on Win98. No hiccups.

tradivoro ( ) posted Tue, 16 October 2001 at 11:40 PM

Ok, just trying to track down why my Vue 4 won't render to disk.. I thought maybe it was a Windows version issue... Ok, here's another question, if I do render to disk, and all I can do is ultra, which is a large size over on the selection of screensizes?? I mean they have all these names and ratios which mean nothing to me... :) I just want pixel size... Any info appreciated, thanks..

Varian ( ) posted Tue, 16 October 2001 at 11:54 PM

Ultra is a type of render, it doesn't have anything to do with image dimensions. It has to do with the features that are at work during the render, how many passes, etc. So it will probably add a bit to the time the render takes, but the dimensions of the image are whatever you've chosen in the upper-right of the render options for that scene. As for why your Vue 4 won't render to disk properly, well you're not imagining things. Several folks are reporting that problem (just ask Bloodsong!) and so far we haven't found any related reasons for it. It's just that for some, Vue 4 doesn't seem to understand how to complete a render to disk properly. It's one of the things that needs fixing. :/ And yes, you should be able to use any of the render types to disk as well as to screen. I used Preview mode on the above image.

thip ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 2:16 AM

V4 + W98 on my machine. Render to disk works fine, OpenGL interface crashes the program immediately every time I try to use it (so I don't use it).

gebe ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 3:50 AM

I use my old Windows 98 (first edition) and have no rpoblem to render to disk. Also the batch render works fine. HAve you tried this one ? Guitta

MikeJ ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 5:44 AM

I am using Vue 4 with W 98 SE and I've done some experimenting with rendering to disk with very quick and simple scenes, and they've all worked fine. What with all the problems people have reported though, I'm not about to trust it with a large scene I want right, so I always use Render To Screen. I have also experimented with the batch renderer, but it woould do me no good. While it works, after each scene is done, I get error messages which tell me the scene is corrupted and I have to click OK, and then it renders anyway. shrug So, if I had 3 scenes I wanted rendered, unless I was around to monitor it's progress, it wouldn't proceed after the first render was done. :/ Makes me wonder, why do all of us have such vastly differing problems with Vue 4, which can't even be pinpointed down to the platform we're on?

Kurka ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 7:20 AM

I've had some problems with the render to disk issue. One fault is that if you are using win98 second edition there is a problem with mapped drives. There's a patch posted at Microsoft. I forgot the name of the file, but if you scroll down the list of patches you will see it. Just look for a file that mentions "mapped drives". Also, if you installed a graphics program AFTER you installed Vue it may have overwritten a Vue file. I know it sounds weird. But that is the only explanation I could come up with. If the Microsoft patch doesn't cure it, re-install Vue. Good luck.

Kurka ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 7:25 AM

Another thing, the Batch render program will do weird things. If you open it, it will create a script file. If you then close it without doing a batch render, there will be an empty batch render script. Locate the script and delete it. If you want to see if this is the problem, just move the Batch.exe into a temporary folder and do a render.

agiel ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 7:41 AM

Check also disk related applications : - Anti-virus / scan disk applications (Norton, MacAffee...) - Screensavers - Power management (especially with hard drives on stand-by) Try to experiment with turning off your background programs one at a time and see if it has an impact on Vue.

zoon ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 12:23 PM

I use 98. I had problems with render to disc, but they cleared up after installing the microsoft mapped drives patch. But now the problem has come back. I render to disc and it gets to 100 percent, then the program locks. On restart I get the option to save the interrupted render, which I do. I get a perfect image saved BUT there is no glow on glowing materials. Anyone else notice this??? Also open gl worked fine, and has suddenly screwed up, for no apparent reason.

tradivoro ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 10:05 PM

Hi Varian, thanks... I knew that the ultra is a render mode, I was just wondering if anybody knew of all the selections they have on the right, which would come out bigger when rendering to screen, since I don't have a pixel count like 800X600, that kind of thing...

tradivoro ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 10:06 PM

Guitta, I have not used batch render... Maybe I'll try that...

tradivoro ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 10:07 PM

Thanks Mike, Im glad tha tit works for some folks some of the time... But yes, I don't know why Vue is so fickle... :)

tradivoro ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 10:09 PM

Thanks Kurka for that info.. Before I install any patches by Microsoft, I have a lot of music software I use on my computer, which work very well right now, and I don't want to screw up, since overall my machine works very well with every other program, including Bryce which renders to disk fine... So, I might try the re-install route,....

tradivoro ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 10:11 PM

Thanks Laurent... yes, I've tried with the virus thing off, the same results, I ahve no screen savers and no stand by drives... Believe me, my machine is super optimized and runs all other applications perfectly, it's ONLY Vue4 that runs badly... :) Vue 2 by the way, renders to disk without any problems...

tradivoro ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 10:11 PM

Yeah zoon, there is definitely something screwy with Vue 4 and the patches ain't helping none... :)

Varian ( ) posted Wed, 17 October 2001 at 11:26 PM

file_221733.jpg

Paul... ***...all the selections they have on the right, which would come out bigger when rendering to screen, since I don't have a pixel count like 800X600,...**** You most certainly *should* have spots for selecting the size in pixels! In fact, it's in the same place it was in v.2 so you should be able to find it okay? It's on the Render Options screen, all the way to the top right, looks like this.

tradivoro ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 12:51 AM

Ok, I see what was happening, I was selecting render in main view as opposed to render to screen and all that stuff you're showing me was greyed out and this was kind of perturbing me... And as usual, it's not until you've asked somebody that the obvious becomes obvious... :) So thanks..

Varian ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 1:49 AM

Whew!! You had me getting worried. :)

tradivoro ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2001 at 10:06 PM

I had you worried... Listen, I worry myself... :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.