Sun, Oct 6, 8:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: A new Graphic Card for an old fellow...

blackbonner ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2019 at 2:58 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 6:20 AM

Hi, I got a question for the hardware guys here in the Forum. I own a very trusty PC for about 9 years now. The components are the following, Intel CPU i7 x980 3.33 GHz 16 GB Ram Mainboard Asustek p9x58d premium Graphic card AMD Radeon HD 5900

After a long struggle with myself and my wallet, I decided to buy a new Graphics card, that is supported by Poser, DS and Blender as well. So, my question is I guess, is the base system worth the money I would spend on a new Graphics card and if so, what Card should I take in consideration? I have searched myself a bit and found out that nvidia came up with there 20xx series, but they are to expensive for me at the moment. My search brought up the older cards, like the HTC 10xx to series. I would love to have some advice on this topic, maybe from someone with a similar hardware configuration. Thanks for the effort.

hflam ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2019 at 3:27 AM

Current Poser 11 Pro Superfly only support GTX 10XX and older series Graphic card for GPU rendering, the new RTX20XX and AMD are not support.

blackbonner ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2019 at 3:29 AM

hflam, thats very helpful, thanks.

quietrob ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2019 at 2:17 AM

blackbonner posted at 12:16AM Wed, 13 November 2019 - #4369610

hflam, thats very helpful, thanks.

Sooooo, what did you get?

blackbonner ( ) posted Wed, 13 November 2019 at 2:37 AM

Glad you ask! Yesterday my nvidia RTX 1050 Ti arrived from Amazon. I mounted the thing into my old fellow and they are working just fine together. Poser, DS and Blender are quite happy with the new card. Regardless of the fact that this card is not the newest and strongest in the portfolio, I can say, it cuts the render time in poser in half. DS is new to me, therefore i can't say anything substantial, but the preview is fast and accurate as hell. I use Blender to build things so the render time is actually not that much of a deal, but I've done some testing in cycles and Evi. Looks very good and it renders pretty fast as well. So, it seems, i made a good purchase because of a good advice.

ironbird ( ) posted Tue, 26 November 2019 at 1:30 AM

As I am about to build a new machine I found the info about the Nvidia 10XX and Poser very useful. thanks

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 26 November 2019 at 6:00 PM · edited Tue, 26 November 2019 at 6:01 PM

I also just got a brand new laptop, and I went with the GTX, as I had heard quite a few complaints on both the SM Poser forum, and here on Renderosity, about the issues with the RTX 20XX series and rendering with SuperFly. I don't know anything about the RTX 10XX series, but since those who have the GTX cards haven't had any complaints, I figured I'm pretty safe getting one of those.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2019 at 3:31 AM

Miss B posted at 4:25AM Wed, 27 November 2019 - #4371345

I also just got a brand new laptop, and I went with the GTX, as I had heard quite a few complaints on both the SM Poser forum, and here on Renderosity, about the issues with the RTX 20XX series and rendering with SuperFly. I don't know anything about the RTX 10XX series, but since those who have the GTX cards haven't had any complaints, I figured I'm pretty safe getting one of those.

There's no such card as a RTX 10xx, RTX is only available on the 20xx series.

Which graphics are powering the laptop? Even though 20XX series does offer a GTX variant, it's still based off of Turing which would make it incompatible with Poser's SF. If it's a GTX 10XX series or older, you're fine though!

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2019 at 9:34 PM

JohnDoe641 posted at 10:29PM Wed, 27 November 2019 - #4371381

Which graphics are powering the laptop? Even though 20XX series does offer a GTX variant, it's still based off of Turing which would make it incompatible with Poser's SF. If it's a GTX 10XX series or older, you're fine though!

I read in one of the posts where someone mentioned the 10XX series, but I just realized it was the "Nvidia 10XX" series the poster was talking about, so my mistake. I myself had never heard of RTX until the new 20XX cards a few folks were complaining about with rendering in SuperFly.

This new laptop has a GTX 1660, which is what the sales rep. suuggested when I said I definitely didn't want the RTX GPU.

Butterfly Dezignz

ironbird ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2019 at 12:53 PM

So basically what cards are working best with poser? I'm thinking to buy an RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2019 at 1:27 PM

Miss B posted at 2:23PM Thu, 28 November 2019 - #4371481

JohnDoe641 posted at 10:29PM Wed, 27 November 2019 - #4371381

I read in one of the posts where someone mentioned the 10XX series, but I just realized it was the "Nvidia 10XX" series the poster was talking about, so my mistake. I myself had never heard of RTX until the new 20XX cards a few folks were complaining about with rendering in SuperFly.

This new laptop has a GTX 1660, which is what the sales rep. suuggested when I said I definitely didn't want the RTX GPU.

RTX itself isn't the problem, it's the Turing architecture that the card uses that Poser/SuperFly doesn't support. Unfortunately the 1660 uses Turing so it's most likely going to fail to render anything with SuperFly.

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2019 at 2:43 PM

JohnDoe641 posted at 3:41PM Thu, 28 November 2019 - #4371600

RTX itself isn't the problem, it's the Turing architecture that the card uses that Poser/SuperFly doesn't support. Unfortunately the 1660 uses Turing so it's most likely going to fail to render anything with SuperFly.

CR*P!! Well that certainly DIDN'T make my day. 😦

Butterfly Dezignz

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2019 at 9:38 PM

Miss B posted at 10:25PM Fri, 29 November 2019 - #4371619

JohnDoe641 posted at 3:41PM Thu, 28 November 2019 - #4371600

CR*P!! Well that certainly DIDN'T make my day. 😦

From the dumb naming scheme from Nvidia to the lack of Touring support in Poser, it's all very confusing and easily misunderstood. I'm not sure what to suggest, on one hand the 1660 is great and should work fine with everything else but on the other, it is probably incompatible with SF. But you can always use the CPU to render, it'll just take time.

I'm sorry that's the situation because you shouldn't have to deal with this nonsense. Poser 11 came out in 2015, it's almost 2020 and people have to use hardware from almost five years ago to use SF with an nvidia card? That's a bunch of crap. 😒

Miss B ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2019 at 11:43 PM

Yes, that's what I've been doing for the past 8 years, because the old laptop didn't have a GPU at all. I was so looking forward to having a GPU again. Oh well, at least this puppy has 6 cores, instead of 4, 16GB Ram, instead of 8, and a lot of other goodies. I would've gone for 24GB Ram, but they only had 8, 16 or 32, and that was just a bit more than I wanted to spend on Ram right now.

I guess I'll just have to wait another year (or 2) before I can use the GPU to render with SuperFly. Hmmmm, I usually only use Blender for modelling, but I wonder if Cycles will be affected as well. I guess that will remain to be seen.

Butterfly Dezignz

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2019 at 12:39 AM

Miss B posted at 1:28AM Sat, 30 November 2019 - #4371741

Yes, that's what I've been doing for the past 8 years, because the old laptop didn't have a GPU at all. I was so looking forward to having a GPU again. Oh well, at least this puppy has 6 cores, instead of 4, 16GB Ram, instead of 8, and a lot of other goodies. I would've gone for 24GB Ram, but they only had 8, 16 or 32, and that was just a bit more than I wanted to spend on Ram right now.

I guess I'll just have to wait another year (or 2) before I can use the GPU to render with SuperFly. Hmmmm, I usually only use Blender for modelling, but I wonder if Cycles will be affected as well. I guess that will remain to be seen.

Blender 2.81 seems to love RTX/Optix which makes it even more imperative that Poser catches up with... literally everyone else. https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=blender-281-optix&num=3

But even without RTX on the 1660, you've got a wonderful and fast card that can use CUDA in Blender. Your card is almost as fast as my 1070 is, that's going to be a huge speed boost for you!

I would enjoy your new laptop and not worry about SF. They're going to have to eventually update it to support Touring or pretty soon 99% (if it isn't already that) of the people buying new computers/laptops with nvidia cards won't won't be able to use SF. Once it does work, you'll have a perfectly capable card that will be very fast at rendering. 👍

ssgbryan ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2019 at 1:40 AM

JohnDoe641 posted at 12:37AM Sat, 30 November 2019 - #4371724

From the dumb naming scheme from Nvidia to the lack of Touring support in Poser, it's all very confusing and easily misunderstood. I'm not sure what to suggest, on one hand the 1660 is great and should work fine with everything else but on the other, it is probably incompatible with SF. But you can always use the CPU to render, it'll just take time.

I'm sorry that's the situation because you shouldn't have to deal with this nonsense. Poser 11 came out in 2015, it's almost 2020 and people have to use hardware from almost five years ago to use SF with an nvidia card? That's a bunch of crap. 😒

Yeah - SM should have written a render engine to an API that didn't exist at the time, and only addresses part of their customer base.

What were they thinking?

Miss B ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2019 at 11:13 AM

JohnDoe641 posted at 12:05PM Sat, 30 November 2019 - #4371742

But even without RTX on the 1660, you've got a wonderful and fast card that can use CUDA in Blender. Your card is almost as fast as my 1070 is, that's going to be a huge speed boost for you!

Thanks for the link to that comparison chart. The funny thing is I had told the sales rep. I was interested in the 1080ti, but I had read in one of my tech newsletters that though the 1080ti was very good, it was older and missing some of the newer things I'm assuming the 1660 he recommended to me does have.

If I weren't so used to rendering with CPU for all these years, I would probably protest a lot louder, but my response to your initial comment about the 1660 just surprised the heck out of me.

Butterfly Dezignz

CHK2033 ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2019 at 11:44 AM · edited Sat, 30 November 2019 at 11:46 AM

You have a good card,I'd play destiny 2 all night long on it...pew,pew,pew t,t,t,t,t,t,t,t chk, chk Boom! for..um research purposes of course :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Zbook 17 G6,  intel Xeon  64 GB of ram 1 TB SSD, Quadro RTX 5000 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2019 at 11:55 AM · edited Sat, 30 November 2019 at 11:58 AM

ssgbryan posted at 12:54PM Sat, 30 November 2019 - #4371744

JohnDoe641 posted at 12:37AM Sat, 30 November 2019 - #4371724

Yeah - SM should have written a render engine to an API that didn't exist at the time, and only addresses part of their customer base.

What were they thinking?

Sarcarsm... oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh nooooooooooooooooooooooo! 😭

Miss B posted at 12:55PM Sat, 30 November 2019 - #4371778

JohnDoe641 posted at 12:05PM Sat, 30 November 2019 - #4371742

Thanks for the link to that comparison chart. The funny thing is I had told the sales rep. I was interested in the 1080ti, but I had read in one of my tech newsletters that though the 1080ti was very good, it was older and missing some of the newer things I'm assuming the 1660 he recommended to me does have.

If I weren't so used to rendering with CPU for all these years, I would probably protest a lot louder, but my response to your initial comment about the 1660 just surprised the heck out of me.

The funny thing is that I've read on here that people have issue with the 1080ti. I think the thread may even be at the bottom of the first or second page. But enough of that though, enjoy your new laptop and happy rendering! :)

Miss B ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2019 at 2:04 PM · edited Sat, 30 November 2019 at 2:05 PM

Thanks, still setting things up, but boy is it a whole lot faster than the old one, which I had for 8 years. Isn't technology wonderful. 🙂

Butterfly Dezignz

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2019 at 6:32 PM

Oh absolutely! For years I put off upgrading because my old CPU was EoL and I'd need to switch out the cpu/mobo/ram and that just seemed like a huge pain. So I didn't do anything and suffered due to how slow and antiquated my system had become.

I finally upgraded this year and the difference is like going from a 1995 Hyundai Accent to a Bugatti Veyron, it's allowed me to work on the bigger scenes that were impossible to work on before and unlike my old system, I can actually still use my computer when I'm rendering those large scenes! 😁

Miss B ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2019 at 8:29 PM

Oh, don't I know the name of THAT game!! The only thing I "might" have been able to get away with, would've been playing a game of Solitaire. ~sheesh~

Butterfly Dezignz

yarp ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2019 at 11:45 PM

@Miss B, cool you got a new laptop. A great machine you've got to play with Poser and Blender :)

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.