Fri, Sep 20, 10:48 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / New Poser Users Help

Welcome to the New Poser Users Help Forum

Forum Moderators: Anim8dtoon, RedPhantom, Staff

New Poser Users Help F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 2:37 pm)

New to Poser? Ask questions here for expert help!

Subject: Help please How do I install new items in Poser 11 Pro ?

tabbycat2 ( ) posted Mon, 09 December 2019 at 7:51 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:41 AM

Hello, I used to use Poser 7 and I had it down solid. than I took a few years off of doing Poser. Last may decided to go back into it so I bought

Poser 11 Pro. I asked a lot of question on that earlier. Ok, now I need to know how to install items to Poser 11 Pro. Back when I used Poser 7 I just unzipped the files into Poser 7 directory and I could see and use those items. Turns out that that does not work for Poser 11 Pro. I can't even find a files tree which would tell me exactly where files are placed. Been trying to install a dress for a couple of hours now. What I really need is the file tree but instructions on how to do it would be appreciated. Can not believe how frustrating little Poser has become. It used to be a blast and now I have to act the newbie to ask simple questions like, how do I install items so Poser 11 Pro can find them. I can't find my manual, if it even came with one.

donnena ( ) posted Mon, 09 December 2019 at 8:06 PM · edited Mon, 09 December 2019 at 8:07 PM

So, Open Poser and click File > Install from Zip Archive.
Navigate to your zip file, likely in your download folder.
Click the zip and then click Open.
Poser will offer a screen to let you choose where you want to install your new purchase
Choose your runtime
image.png I chose to name mine P11 Content on install.
You should see two options at the drop-down, Downloads and whatever your Poser 11 default runtime is named. Either will work, but it would probably be easiest to use the default runtime.
The open field below the existing runtimes is for you to create a new runtime on the fly. I do not know if poser will map this for you, or if you will have to do that yourself. If you don't know how to map a new runtime, avoid that field! ;) Click install and your files will be correctly placed.

;>

Andy!

tabbycat2 ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2019 at 10:10 AM

Thank you so much Andy. I will try this. Even seems easy to do!!!

tabbycat2 ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2019 at 10:35 AM

It was easy to do but it did not show up in my Poser 11 Pro. Sigh. I installed Poser 11 Pro back earlier in this year and I ran into this problem. Didn't want to spend a lot of time fixing it, so I bought another Poser 11 Pro thinking the first disc had problems because online someone said some of the discs had problems. Well, this problem showed up in the second one. So I just walked away from it. So what I am telling you is there have been no parameter changes done to my Poser. All I did was install it and never got to use it. I did try going back to Poser 7 my favorite but it will not run in Windows 10.

So I am shocked your instructions did not work because I ran it at default. It's got to be the path name hence, the reason I want a files tree for Poser 11 Pro.

tabbycat2 ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2019 at 10:42 AM

I decided to check my hard drive for my new item. Poser 11 Pro comes with HIvewire 3d and that shows up in Poser. Surprise to find that Lully is listed in that same directory. Proof that your instructions worked. Well hell bells, if Hivewire 3d shows up in Poser, why doesn't Lully ??? Mmmmm.

tabbycat2 ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2019 at 10:57 AM

I know I have directories called Poser 11 Content and Downloads. I did a search on my hard for these directories and did not find them. So basically WTF? Would you please tell me the exact path name you use to get to your directories ? I use to be sane, then I found Poser, LOL

Nails60 ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2019 at 11:19 AM

Have a look at the last few posts in this thread

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2940371

I've tried to explain things there to someone else having problems and it might help you.

Nails60 ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2019 at 11:22 AM

Tabbycat, when you installed poser 11 it asked you where you wanted the content, the default is public documents, on the c drive but you may have specified elsewhere.

There is another poser 11 runtime in programs, but do not install content into this, it doesn't work.

tabbycat2 ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2019 at 11:27 AM

Thank you Nails60. Ohhhhh, ok, so it's not in the directory of Poser 11 Pro !!!!!! No wonder I couldn't find it, doh !!!

tabbycat2 ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2019 at 11:29 AM

Thanks Nails60 for the link, I will definitely go there. I have used Poser for years and yet here I am acting like a Newbie. Well at least it's fun to watch the handicapped.

tabbycat2 ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2019 at 12:15 PM

Ok, still not seeing my new items in Poser. Which bums me out cause you folks are so helpful and skilled in matters of Poser. I know it's something simple. I know you can make your own directories and get them listed in Poser. So I did that. I called it Poser 11 Content2 and it makes the directory as a listing but none of the files inside that directory. I used to be sane, then I found Poser, LOL.

Nails60 ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2019 at 12:43 PM

Have you checked the file structure of the zip file? It needs to have the runtime as the first folder in the zip. If there is another folder in which the runtime resides you have to install manually. Unzip the file then in windows drag and drop (or copy and paste) the runtime folder onto the runtime in which you want the content to go.If you bought it from here the zips are normally right to install, freebies can be variable and any native poser content from DAZ has the runtime in a folder called content so won't install properly.

And just checking that it is native poser content you are trying to install, ie it is file types that poser recognises .cr2 .pp2 etc

tabbycat2 ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2019 at 1:45 PM

This dress or item comes directly from DAZ3d And it's for Poser. I will check to be sure the files .cr2 and .pp2 but I am pretty sure they are. I will check the zip files as well but like I said it comes directly from DAZ3d and it's for poser so I am pretty sure it is properly setup. Be back soon to let you know what I found.

tabbycat2 ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2019 at 1:54 PM

Yes the runtime is in the first layer of the zip. There are other directories but runtime is there. The dress is a prop so it's a .pp2 Thinking maybe the file is messed up I tried another file and that one can not be seen in the listing.

Can my Poser 11 Pro be messed up ? This is my second copy of the program that has this problem.

tabbycat2 ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2019 at 2:08 PM

Wow. Ok. I guess it installs great but the operator (me) has to know which category you need to look in. This "prop" file will not be found in the "figure" category. I knew it was something simple. Ok my dress is install and it is listed as long as I click on the correct category. Oh man I have been away from Poser way too long, cause I knew this. Well, I will go make someone else's life miserable now. THANK YOU so much for all your help, all of you good enough to share your Poser knowledge with me.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.