Sun, Oct 6, 9:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Poser 11.2 and Nvidia RTX rendering. is it CPU only?

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2019 at 2:23 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 7:02 AM

I have an Nvidia RTX GPU ... using superfly, it always goes back the my CPU even when I select the GPU. Is this not set up for GPU rendering?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

wimvdb ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2019 at 2:53 PM

I think it needs a new cycles update for RTX. That was not in the scope for this 11.2 bridge release which was under time pressure.

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2019 at 11:41 AM

ah ... so i cannot use my GPU for rendering?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

caisson ( ) posted Fri, 20 September 2019 at 12:03 PM

No, the new RTX cards are not supported yet. Hopefully an update for Superfly that reflects the development Cycles has had over the last few years will be high on the dev team's list for the next full version :D

----------------------------------------

Not approved by Scarfolk Council. For more information please reread. Or visit my local shop.

bobbesch ( ) posted Sat, 21 September 2019 at 1:10 PM

It would be great to have eevee in poser.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sat, 21 September 2019 at 3:38 PM

caisson posted at 4:38PM Sat, 21 September 2019 - #4362936

No, the new RTX cards are not supported yet. Hopefully an update for Superfly that reflects the development Cycles has had over the last few years will be high on the dev team's list for the next full version :D

OMG please please please tell me it includes micromesh displacement PLEASE WITH A CHERRY ON TOP? 😍

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

caisson ( ) posted Sat, 21 September 2019 at 4:18 PM

I said 'hopefully' because I have no idea at all what the plans are for the next version of Poser :D

However, I would be amazed if Superfly didn't get an update - have you put in a feature request? I have a few ideas I'm going to be writing up and submitting.

Not approved by Scarfolk Council. For more information please reread. Or visit my local shop.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sat, 21 September 2019 at 7:00 PM

I'm not sure where to send feature requests now - ticket maybe?

- - - - - - 

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

caisson ( ) posted Sat, 21 September 2019 at 7:10 PM

I'd say so - posersoftware.com, Support, select Feature Request as the Technical Issue.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Sat, 21 September 2019 at 7:14 PM

Awesome - I'll come up with a list 😂

- - - - - - 

Arraxxon ( ) posted Fri, 03 January 2020 at 6:07 PM · edited Fri, 03 January 2020 at 6:17 PM

Someone tell me, that this is a joke ... i do have a RTX card now, too, since 3 weeks. But those cards are compatible with anything before, they do the same stuff like a 1080 card without the Raytracing extra functions. The Raytracing part of those RTX cards is a "Feature", not a MUST !! And if a 1080 card and a newer RTX card run with the same graphics card drivers and systems basicly, i don't get it, why Poser 11.2 is not working with a RTX GPU, because it doesn't have to call up and use those Raytracing functions. Games like Battlefield 1, which have Raytracing added to it, can be run with or without the Raytracing, so what's the big problem for a Poser program just to use the functions from the GPU it just needs for the render process. Weird ...

Nails60 ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2020 at 6:14 AM

The RTX cards are not simply 10 series cards with ray trace functions bolted on, they are a new architecture. This is why poser cannot gpu render with 1600 series cards. Both the 2000 and 1600 series cards use the new Turing architecture, while the 10 series used the Pasqual architecture. Poser was not the only program that could not utilise these cards, Blender had the same problem. I believe the latest release of Blenders has now fixed this, but with the lack of interest in poser that SM showed towards the end of their ownership and Bondware just acquiring Poser, Poser is still waiting for an update.

structure ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2020 at 8:01 AM
Forum Coordinator

Nails60 posted at 2:00PM Sat, 04 January 2020 - #4375463

The RTX cards are not simply 10 series cards with ray trace functions bolted on, they are a new architecture. This is why poser cannot gpu render with 1600 series cards. Both the 2000 and 1600 series cards use the new Turing architecture, while the 10 series used the Pasqual architecture. Poser was not the only program that could not utilise these cards, Blender had the same problem. I believe the latest release of Blenders has now fixed this, but with the lack of interest in poser that SM showed towards the end of their ownership and Bondware just acquiring Poser, Poser is still waiting for an update.

Thumbs up for sharing actual information rather than speculation, assumption or gossip/rumour.

Locked Out

Miss B ( ) posted Sat, 04 January 2020 at 11:23 AM

Nails60 posted at 12:19PM Sat, 04 January 2020 - #4375463

The RTX cards are not simply 10 series cards with ray trace functions bolted on, they are a new architecture. This is why poser cannot gpu render with 1600 series cards. Both the 2000 and 1600 series cards use the new Turing architecture, while the 10 series used the Pasqual architecture.

Exactly the reason why I'm still doing SuperFly renders with my new laptop's CPU, even though I now have a GPU, as it's in the GTX 1600 series, so won't work. I've read several posts recently in other threads about the RTX GPUs crashing Poser when trying to render with SuperFly.

That said, I haven't tried it with my Blender 2.79, but now I know it's only the version 2.8x that has that fixed.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Arraxxon ( ) posted Sun, 05 January 2020 at 7:27 AM

Can't confirm that at all, that Blender has or had problems working with an RTX card at all ! I have Blender versions dating back to the year 2016 - and they ALL work without ANY problems with my new RTX card. All of my other 3D programs have no problem to work with the RTX card either. The only program NOT working with it, is in fact Poser. Sure i don't know, how they've programmed that thing, but they must have used something really awkward, for the SuperFly rendering engine, but when i look at my other programs with similar render quality and they all work with my RTX card without complaining - yes - then i still call it a joke, that it's not working. Who cares about the architecture - all programs, games (and i have MANY of them installed and running) whatsoever run with the RTX card flawless.

And it doesn't matter, if the old owner Smith Micro didn't care anymore about Poser developement. Poser 11.2 is now in the hands of a new owner. And i say that the priority number one for them, before releasing this new version 11.2 , should have been to make it compatible with nowadays available hardware - Nivida RTX 2000 cards aren't a unknown card series, they are a fact of newer hardware being used around the world and even soon this year 2020 even a new Nvidia graphic card series will be announced, so the RTX 2000 cards will be "old" hardware by then. But no, the first and most important task for the new owner was to implement the Renderosity Store function in the program.

And they've even managed to break my working Poser 11 version, with Poser 11.2 it kept crashing right at start and didn't work anymore ! Great Job ! I had to find a solution by myself and i've found the reason for the crashes. For some unknown reason they've changed something in Poser 11.2, that it didn't wanted to work anymore with my Windows 10 username, which included Umlauts. But all Poser versions i've owned since Poser 8 up to Poser 11 had NO PROBLEM at all with the Umlaut in my name ! There was not even ONE program, game and such, that had problems with my Umlaut user name (including Poser 11). So i'm not really confident in what they are doing now with Poser starting with 11.2 !

At least a quarter year has already passed since the taking over and release of Poser 11.2 - and something like important hardware compatibility should have been fixed or worked on - if not working at the release date rightaway, there should be a fix for this done until now.

CHK2033 ( ) posted Sun, 05 January 2020 at 10:29 AM

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/blender-nvidia-studio-driver/

https://techgage.com/news/blender-2-81-releases-with-nvidia-rtx-and-intel-open-image-denoise-support/

https://code.blender.org/2019/07/accelerating-cycles-using-nvidia-rtx/

https://www.blendernation.com/2018/10/27/how-to-fix-the-blender-rtx-2080-cycles-error/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Zbook 17 G6,  intel Xeon  64 GB of ram 1 TB SSD, Quadro RTX 5000 

Miss B ( ) posted Sun, 05 January 2020 at 1:45 PM

CHK2033 posted at 2:41PM Sun, 05 January 2020 - #4375556

https://techgage.com/news/blender-2-81-releases-with-nvidia-rtx-and-intel-open-image-denoise-support/

https://www.blendernation.com/2018/10/27/how-to-fix-the-blender-rtx-2080-cycles-error/

Thanks for these links. I'm wondering, however, if this also applies to the GTX 1600 series of GPUs, as they are created with the same Turing system. I didn't notice the GTX 1600 series GPUs mentioned in any of these articles. Of course, it's possible most of these articles were written by folks who were coming from older GTX GPU models, so didn't realize the newest GTX GPUs have the same issue.

Butterfly Dezignz

CHK2033 ( ) posted Sun, 05 January 2020 at 2:13 PM

Miss B posted at 1:48PM Sun, 05 January 2020 - #4375568

CHK2033 posted at 2:41PM Sun, 05 January 2020 - #4375556

Thanks for these links. I'm wondering, however, if this also applies to the GTX 1600 series of GPUs, as they are created with the same Turing system. I didn't notice the GTX 1600 series GPUs mentioned in any of these articles. Of course, it's possible most of these articles were written by folks who were coming from older GTX GPU models, so didn't realize the newest GTX GPUs have the same issue.

You purchased a gaming Laptop ? is it a 1660 ti (GTX type)

Nails60 ( ) posted Sun, 05 January 2020 at 3:15 PM

Arraxxon There were problems with Blender when using RTX gpu for cycles rendering this is why information like this

was posted online.

I agree SM should have devoted time to fixing the RTX problem, their reply on the SM forum was that RTX cards at the time were not popular. Bondware priority had to be get a working version of poser ready for when SM closed the servers. As you pointed out yourself, there were problems with this version. Bondware was picking up Poser from scratch, with a very short time to get 11.2 out. I'm sure most people would agree that it was better to have a working version of poser 11 rather than wait until they had also sorted out the GPU rendering

Poser 11.2 was not a luxury, it was a necessity to keep Poser running.

Miss B ( ) posted Sun, 05 January 2020 at 4:28 PM

CHK2033 posted at 5:20PM Sun, 05 January 2020 - #4375572

Yes, I hadn't planned on getting one, but I did want more RAM, and it has 6 cores, so I went with it, not knowing the newer GTX GPUs were similar to the RTX GPUs. If I had known that, I would've insisted on the GTX 1080 ti I was originally interested in getting.

So far, that's my only complaint, as all the other "goodies" included are really nice. I'm used to doing CPU only renders, as the laptop I'm replacing didn't have one, and I had that laptop for about 8 years. This is definitely a lot speedier than my old laptop. Now if I can just get Win10 Pro to play nice. ~cringe~

Butterfly Dezignz

Nails60 ( ) posted Mon, 06 January 2020 at 5:29 AM

In case anyone is interested I did compare cpu and gpu rendering on my 3 machines. I used the test scene which I believe is now in free stuff here (Pauline in the P.I.C.K room). I changed the rendering from progressive to normal (I find watching the individual buckets render helps me to decide if I've chosen wrong bucket size). For gpu renders I used 512 bucket size and for cpu 16. The results are probably best not read across from one machine to another but you might find interesting.

Machine 1

Gpu GTX750M 2Gb time 3 hrs 18min cpu I7 4770S 4 core 8 thread 3.1GHz time 1hr 35m. Yes GPU takes over twice as long as cpu

Machine 2

gpu gtx980M 6GB time 36m 11s cpu I7 6820HK 4core 8thread 2.7GHz time 1hr 43m This is a gaming laptop and as expected the gpu is much faster than the cpu

Machine 3

gpu gtx1080 8Gb time 21m 20s cpu I9 7940X 14 core 28thread 3.1 GHz time 25m 05s So although gpu is faster, not a huge difference.

So if I was looking to upgrade these days, not knowing when or if poser will work with rtx cards for gpu rendering, and not knowing if it will ever take advantage of rtx features, I'd propably opt for a budget gpu and spend more money on a top end AMD threadripper or similar.

CHK2033 ( ) posted Mon, 06 January 2020 at 10:08 AM

Miss B posted at 9:41AM Mon, 06 January 2020 - #4375579

CHK2033 posted at 5:20PM Sun, 05 January 2020 - #4375572

Yes, I hadn't planned on getting one, but I did want more RAM, and it has 6 cores, so I went with it, not knowing the newer GTX GPUs were similar to the RTX GPUs. If I had known that, I would've insisted on the GTX 1080 ti I was originally interested in getting.

So far, that's my only complaint, as all the other "goodies" included are really nice. I'm used to doing CPU only renders, as the laptop I'm replacing didn't have one, and I had that laptop for about 8 years. This is definitely a lot speedier than my old laptop. Now if I can just get Win10 Pro to play nice. ~cringe~

There good (gaming laptops) I used a lot of those in the past (Alienware/MSI/Sager) I've also burnt out and warped a few (running sims in Houdini ) I was going to get another one last year (My last one took a trip overseas without my knowledge and never returned) but instead I saved up all of 2019 specifically just to get a Zbook and I luv this thing mostly just the finger print scanner...lol. thats the highlight for me, it has a Quadro RTX 3000,64GB ram Xeon..some thunderbolt thing I will never use,(And honestly still haven't bothered to see/search/or read what its even for) but it has a built in finger print scanner....that alone makes my day :) I wish I could get a PC one day, but, I never know how long I will be here or at the place I get sent, and got tired of furnishing other peoples places with desktops. So Laptops are good, for me anyway. ANYWAY, as far as the RTX thing is concerned Let Poser catch up to you, dont go back just to be able to use Poser, it'll happen sooner or later I suppose.

hornet3d ( ) posted Mon, 06 January 2020 at 10:19 AM

Nails60 posted at 4:16PM Mon, 06 January 2020 - #4375604

In case anyone is interested I did compare cpu and gpu rendering on my 3 machines. I used the test scene which I believe is now in free stuff here (Pauline in the P.I.C.K room). I changed the rendering from progressive to normal (I find watching the individual buckets render helps me to decide if I've chosen wrong bucket size). For gpu renders I used 512 bucket size and for cpu 16. The results are probably best not read across from one machine to another but you might find interesting.

Machine 1

Gpu GTX750M 2Gb time 3 hrs 18min cpu I7 4770S 4 core 8 thread 3.1GHz time 1hr 35m. Yes GPU takes over twice as long as cpu

Machine 2

gpu gtx980M 6GB time 36m 11s cpu I7 6820HK 4core 8thread 2.7GHz time 1hr 43m This is a gaming laptop and as expected the gpu is much faster than the cpu

Machine 3

gpu gtx1080 8Gb time 21m 20s cpu I9 7940X 14 core 28thread 3.1 GHz time 25m 05s So although gpu is faster, not a huge difference.

So if I was looking to upgrade these days, not knowing when or if poser will work with rtx cards for gpu rendering, and not knowing if it will ever take advantage of rtx features, I'd propably opt for a budget gpu and spend more money on a top end AMD threadripper or similar.

My machine would confirm your experience with your third machine as the render times between the GPU and CPU are much the same but the GPU crashes out with complex scenes where the CPU does not.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

moogal ( ) posted Mon, 06 January 2020 at 7:01 PM

bobbesch posted at 7:57PM Mon, 06 January 2020 - #4363156

It would be great to have eevee in poser.

Unfortunately, Cycles and eevee aren't under the same license. Cycles was released under Apache so it can be used by commercial programs such as Poser. Eevee is GPL like blender, and so can only be re-distributed under GPL. Marmoset however is commercial, and would IMHO be a great PBR/realtime alternative to eevee.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.