Thu, Sep 19, 6:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 5:58 pm)

Subject: Curious - Intel Xeon

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2020 at 9:43 PM

Retrowave posted at 8:54PM Fri, 31 January 2020 - #4378459

I hope Ohki doesn't mind me sticking my nose in, but I have to ask Seachnasaigh; what on earth are you doing with all that gear?

At first I thought you were building a personal render farm. Then I thought, nah, it's a bit more than that, he must be hiring out a render farm. Now though, I've changed my mind again and suspect you must be intent on mining every BitCoin in cyberspace!

So what on earth are you building there, or rather, what for?

I tell you what mate, while I join Ohki and I'm guessing everyone else in here in envy, I don't envy your electricity bill 😄

It is just a personal render farm (well, render garden, as DaleB puts it). On occasion I'll help someone with promos for new content. I used it to render those skydome textures in my freebie pack because you can't; several of those skies took twenty dual Xeon machines four-five days to render, a few took over two weeks each.

I don't mine Bitcoins; you'd want chassis with four GPUs each for that. CPUs won't make much progress.

Electricity consumption -and heat production- is indeed a factor to be considered. I installed dedicated breaker boxes just for outlets/receptacles to feed the computers. Heavy gauge copper wire, unbroken from breaker to receptacle ("home run"), hospital grade receptacles. For example, the rack has sixteen blades; these are divided into four groups with four blades each. One 20Amp receptacle feeds each group, through a 3840J surge suppressor. An ammeter displays just how much current is being consumed by each group in real time. The circuits will comfortably deliver 20A all day long, but I've never seen a group pull more than 11Amps.

circuit breakers for the blades:

server circuit breakers.jpg

color-coded receptacles for the blades:

server receptacles.jpg

The power cords for each blade use matching color coding:

cable management - 1200p.jpg

It's just a personality characteristic; I tend to go all-in on anything I do, within budget constraints.

cars...

Tabby-overhead (1).jpg

Chevy_coupe_37 (1).jpg

Jeep_CJ7_tile.jpg

guns...

belt fed - binary trigger - 1199x715.jpg

bicycles (12-speed rear hub, hydraulic disc brakes, 5.5" suspension travel! 😀 )

Motobecane HAL Boost 29er 1x12 w 38T 3mm offset oval pano 1200px.JPG

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2020 at 10:01 PM · edited Fri, 31 January 2020 at 10:04 PM

movida posted at 9:46PM Fri, 31 January 2020 - #4378491

Take the side panel off and leave it off (or even both of them) (if you haven't already). I ran one of mine like that for years and it was fine.Just get the canned air and blow it out periodically. Poor man's water cooling lmao

That might -or might not- exacerbate the problem. A chassis channels airflow around/past each component before exhausting the now-heated air out the back; if the side panel is off, the intake air can blow out that big opening, leaving RAM et cetera baking.

One option is to install extra fans. I often add fans to the exterior rear, using thermal glue. This especially extends the life of battery/surge units (UPS). To power fans on UPS boxes, get a cheap ($14) 450W power supply, and use half of a paper clip as a jumper between these two sockets of the main 24-pin connector to turn it on:

120v outlets and batt-surge.jpg

Power supply soft ON jumper.PNG

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

movida ( ) posted Fri, 31 January 2020 at 10:48 PM

seachnasaigh posted at 10:46PM Fri, 31 January 2020 - #4378497

movida posted at 9:46PM Fri, 31 January 2020 - #4378491

Take the side panel off and leave it off (or even both of them) (if you haven't already). I ran one of mine like that for years and it was fine.Just get the canned air and blow it out periodically. Poor man's water cooling lmao

That might -or might not- exacerbate the problem. A chassis channels airflow around/past each component before exhausting the now-heated air out the back; if the side panel is off, the intake air can blow out that big opening, leaving RAM et cetera baking.

One option is to install extra fans. I often add fans to the exterior rear, using thermal glue. This especially extends the life of battery/surge units (UPS). To power fans on UPS boxes, get a cheap ($14) 450W power supply, and use half of a paper clip as a jumper between these two sockets of the main 24-pin connector to turn it on:

120v outlets and batt-surge.jpg

Power supply soft ON jumper.PNG

I manage to build my computers but if I started messing with paper clips and electricity I'd probably blow up the house :)

I'll read your instructions a few times and think about it - like your cars and the color coded receptacles are stellar.

Retrowave ( ) posted Sat, 01 February 2020 at 8:52 AM

That's a seriously cool collection of man-toys you have there, Seachnasaigh! So you're basically an obsessed gear-head then, lol, it looks as if you raided Pixar's spares department in one of those earlier photos!

Hope you're not using that gun for processor hold-ups - "Stick 'em up and hand over the Xeons, right now!" 😄

HartyBart ( ) posted Sun, 02 February 2020 at 3:49 PM

'Secret' uber-Xeon tip (on a Z600 2x X5670, 24Gb RAM): Poser Firefly loves the max. settings and does best on them. Go to Render Settings, auto, set to Max + quality. Switch to Manual and inherit Auto settings. Set bucket size to a massive 512, and nudge the samples down from 6 to 4. Watch in awe as a 1800 pixel render is done in five seconds. 512 seems to be the 'sweet spot'.

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.