Thu, Sep 19, 3:06 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: did you uninstall first?

ghostship2 ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 9:22 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 7:23 AM

I get the message when running the install package that I should uninstall the old version first. Anyone have issues with this? Also, what is the support.exe for?

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 10:38 AM

I haven't had any issues with uninstalling the old version first. Anything that's legacy will be removed and either replaced or permanently removed from the program (i.e., Wardrobe Wizard). Any scripts or content that you manually install will remain intact. Just make sure that you want your original preferences to remain otherwise any changes you made to Poser after factory default will revert to factory default.

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 2:40 PM

to keep some obsolete python scripts I chose to NOT uninstall and just installed over the old version. That worked fine for me. But that is just me.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

WandW ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 2:47 PM

I did not uninstall. It went like a normal Service Release......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Nails60 ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 3:59 PM

When I first installed 11.2 it deleted Wardrobe wizard and seemingly some content from the Poser 11 content library, I think this was part of the idea of rationalising the library to make other features work better.

Fortunately I had backups of my python scripts folder and P11 library.

However since then the updates haven't deleted WW etc even though I've accepted the uninstall, this includes the 11.3 beta

pikesPit ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 8:11 PM · edited Wed, 12 February 2020 at 8:21 PM

After more than ten years of using Poser, I made this drill my mandatory procedure:

1. Make a FULL backup of the Poser program folder!

2. also make a FULL backup of any files and folders saved in "C:\Users{mysername}\AppData\Roaming" (i.e.all folders related to Poser)

Then I run the update / reinstall and let it do whatever it wants to do. If something is broken I can always copy the broken settings/files/libraries back. Usually that remedies all the frills and glitches Poser still (!) has.

HTH

Peter

infinity10 ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 8:26 PM

I just installed over my existing version. No issues.

Eternal Hobbyist

pikesPit ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 8:29 PM

WandW posted at 3:27AM Thu, 13 February 2020 - #4380119

I did not uninstall. It went like a normal Service Release......

NEVER trust any code that installs anything automatically! :(

structure ( ) posted Wed, 12 February 2020 at 8:29 PM · edited Thu, 13 February 2020 at 9:43 AM
Forum Coordinator

installing over your old installation should work fine, uninstalling removes the poser program, and anything that was installed WITH poser, it should not affect your runtime in any other way. support.exe provides some files to make things like walk designer work

Locked Out

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2020 at 2:28 AM

Only once and it caused me no end of headaches.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

CHK2033 ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2020 at 10:41 AM · edited Thu, 13 February 2020 at 10:43 AM

Installed over and used previous settings, No issue either..everything still there like I had it.(scripts, content)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Zbook 17 G6,  intel Xeon  64 GB of ram 1 TB SSD, Quadro RTX 5000 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

pikesPit ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2020 at 2:18 PM

Yeah - scripts are a good example.

Just go to Poser's native runtime and arrange the scripts that come with Poser to reside in a different folder hierarchy in the ScriptsMenu folder.

Then write your own "mainButtons.py".

Now reinstall Poser:

• your "mainButtons.py" gets overwritten by the default file, and your "ScriptsMenu" folder is blasted to smithereens because Poser re-installs all scripts in their default location, ignoring your custom setup and thus practically duplicating everything. Good luck with clearing the resulting chaos!

• this also happens with items in the (remember: we're talking about Poser's native library here, not your own external ones!) library in case you made changes there: Everything is re-installed in the default way, ignoring your custom setup!

That's what I was talking about.

Regards, Peter

ghostship2 ( ) posted Thu, 13 February 2020 at 3:03 PM

Yeah, from the advice here I took a chance and just installed without removing the old version first. I also kept the old prefs and everything is groovy.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2020 at 7:12 PM

I didn't uninstall, but I've lost one of my runtimes. Everything else seems allright.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2020 at 7:13 PM

EClark1894 posted at 6:13PM Thu, 27 February 2020 - #4381993

I didn't uninstall, but I've lost one of my runtimes. Everything else seems allright.

I think you just have to re-locate it on your drive and ad it back to your list.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2020 at 7:36 PM

ghostship2 posted at 8:35PM Thu, 27 February 2020 - #4381994

EClark1894 posted at 6:13PM Thu, 27 February 2020 - #4381993

I think you just have to re-locate it on your drive and ad it back to your list.

Yeah, I think I found it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.