Wed, Sep 18, 11:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Poser 11.3.818 crash with Daz 3D imports

bdpoppa ( ) posted Wed, 17 June 2020 at 12:10 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 5:56 AM

I am a long time poser user and have really enjoyed the program. I am really frustrated with frequent crashing. I am using the latest version 11.3.818. (Had the same problem with .316 but not as bad) The program will crash if I delete any character (including props) from Daz 3D from a working scene. Also happens if I just select new! I am well versed in importing from Daz 3D and have been using imported characters and props for some time with few problems. I have a plenty of RAM, hard drive space, speed and a new NVIDIA video card. I am a retired computer tech so I know the problem isn't my hardware. Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem?

willdial ( ) posted Wed, 17 June 2020 at 6:41 PM

I've notice that as well. Poser 11.3 updated the python plugin from 2.7.1 to 2.7.17. And. the DSON Importer is not fully compatible with the newer version. I have not heard back from Daz 3D if they intend to update the plugin.

In the meantime, I have Poser 11.2 install as well as 11.3. And use 11.2 with the DSON Importer.

bdpoppa ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2020 at 3:12 PM

I had a saved version 11.2.296 which I installed and now everything works great. Will probably stick with this version for now. Did not see any great improvements with 11.3 anyway.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2020 at 4:25 PM

willdial posted at 5:22PM Thu, 18 June 2020 - #4392258

I've notice that as well. Poser 11.3 updated the python plugin from 2.7.1 to 2.7.17. And. the DSON Importer is not fully compatible with the newer version. I have not heard back from Daz 3D if they intend to update the plugin.

In the meantime, I have Poser 11.2 install as well as 11.3. And use 11.2 with the DSON Importer.

Forget about updating the DSON Importer. DAZ is not interested in providing any more support for the script, and with the Poser 12 release being on the horizon later this year, that and many other scripts may be a thing of the past due to Python changes.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2020 at 4:37 PM

yep GEN 1 and GEN 2 are EOL. for Poser users.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

ghostship2 ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2020 at 4:38 PM

Rendo sent an email around with a link for a workaround. https://www.posersoftware.com/article/470/3-ways-poser-works-with-other-programs-plus-the-daz-workaround

willdial ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2020 at 6:53 PM · edited Thu, 18 June 2020 at 7:00 PM

hborre posted at 4:45PM Thu, 18 June 2020 - #4392389

willdial posted at 5:22PM Thu, 18 June 2020 - #4392258

Forget about updating the DSON Importer. DAZ is not interested in providing any more support for the script, and with the Poser 12 release being on the horizon later this year, that and many other scripts may be a thing of the past due to Python changes.

I know where DAZ's priorities are. I figured there was no harm in asking. I'm just waiting for the official brush off.

Right now, I have both Poser 11.2 and 11.3 installed. I use Poser 11.2 for the DSON figures and 11.3 for the rest.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Thu, 18 June 2020 at 9:57 PM

was there a good reason to update Python in Poser? Sounds like another instance of shooting oneself in the foot. Existing scripts need updating and DSON broken permanently.

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Fri, 19 June 2020 at 5:48 AM

Python 2.x is dead. Has been for some time. Moving to Python 3 is a necessity not a choice. The DSON break is up to DAZ to deal with if they so choose. They obviously don't.

WandW ( ) posted Sat, 20 June 2020 at 5:45 AM

ghostship2 posted at 6:39AM Sat, 20 June 2020 - #4392391

yep GEN 1 and GEN 2 are EOL. for Poser users.

I haven't even installed 11.3. Poserized Genesis 2 has been my go to Poser figure for years, but having the DSON importer allows morph following in clothing to work, which I would have to transfer manually if the Importer is no longer supported.

I suspect 11 will likely be my last Poser version, and I'm sorry I bought it, as I found Superfly very underwhelming, and in the long run I would have gotten 11 free with my PP Game Dev license; $180 down the drain... 😾

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 20 June 2020 at 9:25 AM
Online Now!

I find it interesting and somewhat telling that many blame a software for not doing something other program developers at another company decided. If a figure is not compatible with another program, it is not compatible. Business decisions made years ago by another company are not the fault of another that bought this software not even a year ago. I am not going to start another rant about how NOTHING on this site's start page indicates there is content for Poser sold here, because I keep being told 'that is sponsored content and we'll have something later' (this is for those who feel I am a paid shill).

Regarding Python: I also have a ton of scripts I bought that will probably be useless now, like I had a ton of very useful scripts that I could not use after the last big Python update. 3rd party developers come and go and very few stay long enough to update their own scripts as new language versions develop because they moved on. Snarly is a very rare exception and I am glad I'd be able to use his things. Many of us have, I suspect, scripts bought over in the old RDNA place that no longer exists and many of their scriptwriters moved on from this industry. Those scripts, including a library one I use daily, will most likely be useless. I'll manage. It is 2020. This is a hobby.

philebus ( ) posted Sun, 21 June 2020 at 1:13 PM

This is unfortunate - I understand the reasons behind the decision but it means that for those who have invested heavily in Genesis figures to use in Poser, there is a choice between losing some or (for Genesis 3 & 8) all of that investment, to keep relying on Poser 11.2, or to make the switch to Studio. The last two options likely mean loss of sales for Poser 12.

For myself, I don't fancy the switch to Studio but I'm not going to drop the figures and functionality of the content I've purchased, so for as long as they don't break the Poser 11 activation, I'll be sticking with that. For the time being - and things may change - Poser 12 will not be a worthwhile purchase. It's a reluctant decision, I've been using Poser since version 4 and have purchased upgrades on day of release since Poser 6.

This is not a criticism of any one, it's just how things worked out. It's a pity to be sure but there it is.

ghostman ( ) posted Sun, 21 June 2020 at 2:41 PM

Great things can come with Python 3 when it comes to plugins. Just wait and see.

"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

Join PoserLounge Chat

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Mon, 22 June 2020 at 1:47 AM

ghostman posted at 8:29AM Mon, 22 June 2020 - #4392646

Great things can come with Python 3 when it comes to plugins. Just wait and see.

So true Ghost. Me , personally can't wait to see what awesome new scripts will come with Py 3.

@Rhia474

Could not agree more. When I quit Adobe, I had to send many, many assets for 1000's of Euro in to the digital Nirvana. Happens. My husband, use 3DS Max for many, many years. He had plugins , scripts for also 1000's of Euro. Often, with a new upgrade from 3DSMax , scripts got broken, no update on them or at last not for free. he deal with it, like many other user too. In the digital world it happens daily. New shiny toys get outdated pretty quick. I have all the scripts from RDNA , and from here also a few. I know they will be obsolescent very soon. I am okay with it. This is the risk I take when I buy scripts. Always the possibility that with the next update/upgrade from the software, some get broken. Poser need to upgrade in new technologies , can not stay forever with outdated stuff just because a handful user resist to move forward. And yes, upgrade to Py 3 is essential and mandatory.

About the DS issue I even don't want to discuss. Can not read anymore the never ending blaming "If Poser don't....I move to DS" . I use DS quite often. Also Poser. Blender, Unreal Engine and many other software. See no reason why I should tie my self on one. I want to render Genesis? I use DS. I want to Render LF? I use Poser. Simply as that.

La vie est éternelle. L'amour est immortel.

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.