Fri, Jul 12, 2:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / New Poser Users Help

Welcome to the New Poser Users Help Forum

Forum Moderators: Anim8dtoon, RedPhantom, Staff

New Poser Users Help F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 08 7:37 pm)

New to Poser? Ask questions here for expert help!

Subject: I've been away for so long, I'm pretty much a total n00b. Questions

Photopium ( ) posted Sun, 09 August 2020 at 11:54 AM · edited Sun, 30 June 2024 at 9:54 AM

I'm starting at ground zero and I've forgotten more than I can remember.

Question 1: What is the current arrangement with Daz3d figures? Genesis 8 seems to be current - Will it work in Poser without sacrifice or ceremony? Question 2: If no to question 1, what is the "figure dujour" that everyone is working with/for?
Question 3: I noticed that Renderosity now owns Poser. Not a question so much as a statement...but bring me up to speed and what are the plans? Question 4: Is the hair room still lame? Question 5: What else do I need to know if I left the scene five years ago?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 09 August 2020 at 9:26 PM
Site Admin
  1. Genesis 1 and 2 wor in poser with dson available at daz. Though it may not work with poser 12 when it comes out since they's upgrading the python. Genesis 3 and 8 don't work without a bunch of hoops. I've never delved into that so I don't know.
  2. If you have poser 11, Lafemme is the latest figure. She and L'Homme come with Poser 11. There's also Dawn and Dusk. They also come with Poser 11. If you don't have Poser 11 and aren't planning on getting it Dawn works with poser 9+ and V4 is still being used.
  3. I don't know what the plans are for poser 12, except they are updating the python for a more modern one. There is a forum here for making requests.
  4. Yes
  5. I don't know what version you're using to tell you what you're missing out on.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

HartyBart ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2020 at 6:40 AM · edited Mon, 10 August 2020 at 6:41 AM

Question 1: Daz3d figures?

Genesis 1-2 get into Poser easily via the free DSON plug-in available at the DAZ Store. It's said that this may stop working in the forthcoming Poser 12. It's possible to get G3 to G8 into Poser, but the workflows appear to me to be more trouble than they're worth. G3-G8 can still be exported as posted OBJ and perhaps FBX though that is tricker than OBJ. Or you can take them over as billboards if you need an army of orcs or something like that.

Question 2: what is the "figure dujour" that everyone is working with/for?

La Femme is the standard human figure now that ships with Poser, along with a male companion. Both are now buffed in terms of their technical specs and bug-fixing. The equivalent of G8 in terms of joint bending and facial flexibility and probably more, which is important for the mass of 'ultra-photoreal and lots of skin' users. Though I've barely used her.

Question 3: Renderosity now owns Poser... what are the plans?

Poser 12 has been formally announced. Beta testers have been called for, including those with Unity knowledge. No details on a release date, but "back to school/university" in mid/late September would be as good a guess as any. But who knows. Could be before Christmas, could be spring 2021.

Question 4: Is the hair room still lame?

It can still do the business, if you want to grow and style a simple strand moustache without paying for one. It's not all that difficult to use for such simple jobs. But there is so much good complete hair in the stores these days that you may not need it.

Question 5: What else do I need to know if I left the scene five years ago?

Poser 11 now has SuperFly rendering, which is Blender Cycles under another name. The other render types are still in there, and a new one is the real-time Comic Book option in either colour or b&w. You can still send a Poser scene to Vue (even the new subscription-only Vue) without hassle and with auto-conversion of most textures. Poser 11 Pro got a lot cheaper - you can currently get it for $80 for the next few days.

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

HartyBart ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2020 at 7:11 AM

As for re-learning, the other thing you need to know is that Smith Micro's excellent-but-expensive "Learning Poser Pro 11" DVD is now free on YouTube in HD, thanks to Renderosity.

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

Photopium ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2020 at 8:36 AM

Neat. Thanks you two

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 10 August 2020 at 9:49 AM · edited Mon, 10 August 2020 at 9:50 AM
Site Admin

This is the unofficial list of changes I've found in poser 11 vs poser 2014. Most people focus on the new superfly render engine, which I do love, but there's a lot more than just that.

• autosave
  • UI scale
  • editing shortcuts
  • notifications of updates and other information (can be turned off)
  • textured line display
  • selection tool
  • area lights
  • custom parameter dials
  • changes in animation pallet
  • measurement tool
  • replace material nodes
  • added firefly nodes as well as superfly nodes
  • content room replaced with purchases tab in library
  • figure height and genitalia options removed
  • combine figures
  • find hidden polygons
  • reduce polys
  • (were available in game dev
  • but not poser 10 or pro2014) copy measurements
  • separate pose symmetry and rig symmetry
  • zero rotation in figure menu rather than just in joint editor
  • walk pallet
  • and control prop creation are some of the changes in poser 11. I probably missed some.

the face room, hair room, and fitting room don't seem to have any major changes except the cloth simulation files are a different format.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.