Fri, Oct 4, 5:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 4:27 pm)

Subject: 2d to 3d

Poserman12 ( ) posted Wed, 30 September 2020 at 12:01 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 5:29 PM

Hey y'all, what's a good downloadable program to convert 2d (.png .jpeg etc) to 3d .obj?

bwldrd ( ) posted Wed, 30 September 2020 at 6:34 AM
Online Now!

Does it have to be free? If not, take a look at Archipelis Designer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider me insane if you wish, but is your reality any better?

12rounds ( ) posted Wed, 30 September 2020 at 6:46 AM

For a free alternative, you could try out Blender. There is a bunch of easy-to-follow tutorials on YouTube for this. However, trying to extrude anything complicated will require lots of time and experience.

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Wed, 30 September 2020 at 9:03 AM

There is a very good Tutorial on Youtube to transfer 2D image into 3D. But requires a bit basic modelling skills.One of my fav one is from Marco Bucci.

La vie est éternelle. L'amour est immortel.

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

CHK2033 ( ) posted Wed, 30 September 2020 at 10:36 AM · edited Wed, 30 September 2020 at 10:43 AM

selva3d

Adobe Photoshop (simple objects and text mostly) Theres a lot all over just google your exact non poser related question and youll find all you need to know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Zbook 17 G6,  intel Xeon  64 GB of ram 1 TB SSD, Quadro RTX 5000 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 30 September 2020 at 2:23 PM

TheAnimaGemini posted at 3:21PM Wed, 30 September 2020 - #4400688

There is a very good Tutorial on Youtube to transfer 2D image into 3D. But requires a bit basic modelling skills.One of my fav one is from Marco Bucci.

What are the names of the 2 tutorials? There's so many at YouTube, it's hard to find what I'm looking for. I don't need links, just the titles of the tutorials will be fine.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

NikKelly ( ) posted Wed, 30 September 2020 at 5:02 PM

A thought: Are we talking generic object, or a landscape map ?? If latter, you may be able to convert to grey-scale and use as displacement map for a low-ish poly baseplate in place of a mega-poly mesh...

IIRC, there is software about which will import several 'camera' photos of an object and convert to a passable shape, usually of face for chat avatar...

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Wed, 30 September 2020 at 8:48 PM · edited Wed, 30 September 2020 at 8:50 PM

Miss B posted at 3:45AM Thu, 01 October 2020 - #4400715

What are the names of the 2 tutorials? There's so many at YouTube, it's hard to find what I'm looking for. I don't need links, just the titles of the tutorials will be fine.

MissB, this one is my fav one. Turn a 2D painting into 3D environment - Powerful BLENDER Techniques

The another one How To Convert 2D image Into 3D || Blender Tutorial || Quick Tips

La vie est éternelle. L'amour est immortel.

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

Poserman12 ( ) posted Wed, 30 September 2020 at 10:40 PM

Thanks, everyone!

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 30 September 2020 at 11:25 PM

TheAnimaGemini posted at 12:25AM Thu, 01 October 2020 - #4400733

Miss B posted at 3:45AM Thu, 01 October 2020 - #4400715

MissB, this one is my fav one. Turn a 2D painting into 3D environment - Powerful BLENDER Techniques

The another one How To Convert 2D image Into 3D || Blender Tutorial || Quick Tips

Thanks, I'm going to check them out. 😄

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 08 October 2020 at 11:03 AM · edited Thu, 08 October 2020 at 11:06 AM

...times like this that I wish that the 4th MetaCreations/CuriousLabs program, Canoma, actually made it to today (IIRC it's in Corel's massive software graveyard. ) It was supposed to be pretty good at doing this.

• Edit, I checked - Adobe owns it

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 10 October 2020 at 8:21 AM · edited Sat, 10 October 2020 at 8:24 AM

If you wish to convert 2D shapes into 3D objects you will need an intermediate format like SVG.( or EPS if you use the $$Adobe$$ Illustrator rentware)

Your 3D program will also have to support converting vector paths to 3D edge geometry.

This can All be done with free programs.?

Inkscape

Krita

Blender 2.9

Inkscape to convert any 2D bit maps into vector shapes and the latest version of Krita to export SVG files that Blender can import

(SVG files exported directly from inkscape will not import into Blender for some unknown reason ,but will wll after exported as vector layer from Krita.)?

I used these tools to create the insignia and serial numbers on this procedurally node textured "Spartan Armor" I developed for the Iclone CC3 Figures that I animate render in Blenders EEVEE.CORE WITH INSET LAYER RESVD.png

My website

YouTube Channel

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.