Sun, Sep 15, 12:09 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 14 10:05 pm)

Subject: Poser Executable file stopped working

Proximo ( ) posted Fri, 15 January 2021 at 5:12 AM · edited Fri, 19 July 2024 at 8:59 AM

Hi,can anyone help me please. I am using Windows 7 & Poser 7. Every time I open Poser It crashes & I get the message Poser Executable File as stopped working. I just cannot find a fix , can anyone help me please !

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 15 January 2021 at 8:14 AM

Have you tried changing the Compatibility mode under the icons Properties?

Proximo ( ) posted Fri, 15 January 2021 at 8:26 AM

No I havent, how would I do that please & TY for your reply its really appreciated !

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 15 January 2021 at 9:30 AM

Right-click on the Poser 7 desktop icon to open the contextual menu, navigate down to Properties to open that panel. Select the Compatibility tab and in the Compatibility mode area checkmark the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: ' and select an earlier OS from the menu below it. See the image below:

image.png

Click 'Okay' and try to open Poser 7. I don't know how far back you need to go for the software to finally work. Take into consideration that certain conditions in your present OS might not be right for P7, it is a very old version. Has it ever worked before or is this a first install?

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 15 January 2021 at 9:59 AM

He's using Windows 7, which is probably about right for Poser 7. He could try XP, I guess.

I'd wonder if this was another Flash issue, but I think it was Poser 8 that started using Flash? I remember people getting this error with Poser 8 when Flash was updated.

Proximo ( ) posted Fri, 15 January 2021 at 10:03 AM

Many thanks guys i will give it a try !

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 15 January 2021 at 12:04 PM

@ randym77: I agree. Poser 7 should work with Windows 7. The Flash issue came later. As I stated, it could really be something entirely different causing the crashes. The other thought that comes to mind is Microsoft's Browser. Didn't they stop support for Internet Explorer around the time of Windows 7? IIRC, there were problems with that also.

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 15 January 2021 at 12:45 PM

Yes, there was. People had to set IE not to update, or it broke Poser. At least until Poser was updated. Though that might have been Flash-related, too. Some kind of Flash plugin IE had.

There's a thread about it here:

https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2873783

Not sure if Poser 7 was affected. Poser 8 was, and Poser 6 was not.

structure ( ) posted Fri, 15 January 2021 at 2:07 PM
Forum Coordinator

usually, deleting the preferences folder and allowing poser to create a new one on the next boot resolves this issue.

Locked Out

ratscloset ( ) posted Fri, 15 January 2021 at 10:38 PM

Poser 7 did not use Flash. The Exe error normally was due to corrupted preferences.

There was also the issue with the Virtual Store getting corrupted for users that had their Libraries in Program Files folder. If that is the cause, you may end up having to reinstall content. Make sure you install to a Public Folder (Library linked to Poser) not the application in Program Files to avoid that in the future.

One other issue that could cause this was a bad/broken redistributable from Microsoft. Normally if that was the cause, there will be a details link and you will see the culprit file referenced.

ratscloset
aka John

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 16 January 2021 at 2:56 PM

Content going into the Program Files folder is definitely a big no-no, and that makes sense. The other concerns also could be a potential source of problems. The OP just mentions the crashes upon starting up Poser 7 that's why I suggested rolling back the compatibility to an earlier OS.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.