Fri, Oct 4, 5:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 4:27 pm)

Subject: Anywhere I can get older Poser versions?

Royfitz ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 12:11 PM ยท edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 5:24 PM

I know they are ancient, but is there anywhere I can get 6, 7 or 8? From what I am reading, these are very similar to Poser 4 and 5. I don't do much 3D work, and I really can't be faddled with the newer versions that look as if I have to learn an entire new system, as well as the fact I have a HUGE runtime from my old Poser 4...

Sunfire ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 1:56 PM

Try places like Ebay, but you may find that their libraries won't work any more, especially Poser 8, now that they've discontinued flash.

Your Poser 4 runtime will work in the newer versions, though it might need a bit of tweaking. Your best bet for similarity is Poser 6 or 7.

Sunfire's Creations

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 2:32 PM

P4-P7 place their runtimes in the same folder as the Poser program executable. On Windows newer than WinXP (Vista, Win7, Win8.1, Win10) the User Account Control security feature will interfere with you saving things to the library if it is within the program files folder. Install these older versions of Poser somewhere other than within the program files folder. I have a ProgFilesExt (program files external) folder where I install such older programs.

Poser 12, in feet.ย ย 

OSes:ย  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Sunfire ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 2:54 PM

You can override where they get put in newer versions of windows, should you chose to do so. You can pick the location. The problem with putting them in the programs folder with the executable is that every time you want to add something you have to give it admin permission.

Sunfire's Creations

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 3:00 PM

You will need to convert the Poser4 RSR thumbnails in your runtime to PNG format also.

HartyBart ( ) posted Tue, 23 February 2021 at 4:36 PM

Poser Pro 6 with SR3 would probably be your target there, for keeping old items around and running. Even then you won't get things like GlowWorm running on it.

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

Royfitz ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2021 at 2:43 AM

Many thanks everyone. I'll search around for P6...

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2021 at 11:34 AM

i was trying to find poser pro 2014? i think it was the last version that didnt require re-activations.

โ™ฅย My Gallery Albumsย  ย  โ™ฅ ย ย My YTย  ย โ™ฅ ย ย Party in the CarrarArtists Forumย ย โ™ชโ™ชโ™ชย 10 years of Carrara forumย โ™ฅ My FreeStuff

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2021 at 6:10 PM

Good luck and yes, that was the last version that does not require re-activation although it is prone to the Adobe Flash error if your library remains docked in the UI.

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2021 at 7:47 AM ยท edited Thu, 25 February 2021 at 7:48 AM

i having some lib problems with my old poser pro. i installed to my e drive. poser insists on looking to c drive for the lib. forced me to make a dummy runtime on c drive. and it's giving me a hard time about adding my e drive runtime. found an ini file under prefs. changed the c path to e. didnt help. i dont think it's finding the prefs folder.

and the hierarchy create figure button doesnt work any more. worked when i used poser 7. i found the pro version of poser 7. thought it would be good ro render at 64 bit.

i miss the create figure button. i used it to create rooms. parented walls to a floor, hit the create figure button. instant figure.

i know someone is thinking why not leave it as props. so i can change the mats on the whole figure at once. cant think of any other way to change the walls all at once.

โ™ฅย My Gallery Albumsย  ย  โ™ฅ ย ย My YTย  ย โ™ฅ ย ย Party in the CarrarArtists Forumย ย โ™ชโ™ชโ™ชย 10 years of Carrara forumย โ™ฅ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2021 at 10:57 AM

found the poser pro 11 on amazon for 99 bux. what the heck. tax refund might as well.

doesnt say anything about including la femme.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2021 at 2:51 PM ยท edited Thu, 25 February 2021 at 2:54 PM

MistyLaraCarrara posted at 2:43PM Thu, 25 February 2021 - #4413809

i miss the create figure button. i used it to create rooms. parented walls to a floor, hit the create figure button. instant figure.

i know someone is thinking why not leave it as props. so i can change the mats on the whole figure at once. cant think of any other way to change the walls all at once.

Export the walls and the floor as OBJ and import it back. Use the Grouping Tool (in wireframe mode) to sort out your materials, and create a new prop if you need to.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2021 at 2:57 PM

MistyLaraCarrara posted at 2:55PM Thu, 25 February 2021 - #4413816

found the poser pro 11 on amazon for 99 bux. what the heck. tax refund might as well.

doesnt say anything about including la femme.

If she's not bundled with the software, it might be an earlier build. Just the same, you can download the additional content with a valid license from Posersoftware.com.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 25 February 2021 at 4:47 PM ยท edited Thu, 25 February 2021 at 4:49 PM

If it's called Poser Pro 11, it's probably the Smith Micro version.

You can get the current version for $99 still:

https://www.posersoftware.com/store/products/17

It's the version you'll probably end up installing anyway, since the Smith Micro version doesn't run any more. (Though you'll be able to upgrade it to the Bondware version for free.)

Rance01 ( ) posted Fri, 26 February 2021 at 7:02 AM

@seachnasaigh. Actually, Poser 7 allows for multiple runtimes placed OUTSIDE of the 'Program Files' and/or executable location. I have Poser 7 installed at 'C:Poser 7' with multiple runtimes (6 in all) running from 'Poser Runtimes**...**' and the setup works just fine. I think there was an issue installing the program updates (Smith Micro preferred the basic installation path), but I managed to work around it somehow.

Poser 7 DOES require an initial, one time, registration during the installation, and I can't speak to if that is even possible with Smith Micro selling the software to Bondware.

Be well all, and stay safe.

nerd ( ) posted Wed, 03 March 2021 at 8:25 PM
Forum Moderator

Poser 9 (aka 2010) and Poser 10 (2014) rely on flash for the library. Since Adobe decided to go with the scorched earth end of life for Flash those versions of Poser can not be used any more.

I still have a working install of Poser 4 though I doubt you can still get the patch that lets it work on systems with 4 GB of memory.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2021 at 5:29 AM

Why do you want a different version of Poser, if Poser 5 is working for you? Poser 5 and above allow multiple runtimes, so there should be no problem using your Poser 4 runtime in Poser 5, or Poser 12, even.

IMO, the interface of Poser really hasn't changed much since Poser 5. I think you'd find even the Poser 12 interface very familiar.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2021 at 9:40 AM

nerd posted at 9:37AM Thu, 04 March 2021 - #4414214

Poser 9 (aka 2010) and Poser 10 (2014) rely on flash for the library. Since Adobe decided to go with the scorched earth end of life for Flash those versions of Poser can not be used any more.

I still have a working install of Poser 4 though I doubt you can still get the patch that lets it work on systems with 4 GB of memory.

I totally disagree with this statement. In Poser 2014, if you set your General Preference to a detached Library from the UI the software will work without any problems. The Library will be populated as usual. I have a working copy on my computer.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2021 at 9:11 AM

/me rifles through ancient CD pile...

I still got my old Poser 4/PPP disks. No stinkin' idea if they'll load in Windows 10, though (I know they won't load on MacOS, because reasons). That said, you can likely still load the old stuff if you invoke Windows' Compatibility Mode, and then set that compatibility level to 'Windows XP' or older.

BUT - randym is right: If Poser 5 works for you, use it. I think P5 is the bastard spawn of sickly demons, but if you can use it, then no sweat - do that Compatibility Mode thing if you have Windows and want to install/use P5.

(All else fails, your ancient P4/PPP compatible library will totally work on another program that you-know-who makes, that costs $0.00, but we'll not mention the name here.)

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2021 at 9:54 AM

Compatibility mode can and will solve some issues but anyone that wants to outright purchase dated versions of Poser must consider the availability of Service Releases, those are not as easy to come by these days.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2021 at 11:08 AM ยท edited Thu, 11 March 2021 at 11:09 AM

TwiztidKidd posted at 11:08AM Thu, 11 March 2021 - #4413706

You will need to convert the Poser4 RSR thumbnails in your runtime to PNG format also.

Yup - fortunately, there's a utility to do that, it costs $0.00, and I believe it still works:https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/freestuff/?item_id=57197

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2021 at 11:13 AM

hborre posted at 11:10AM Thu, 11 March 2021 - #4414735

Compatibility mode can and will solve some issues but anyone that wants to outright purchase dated versions of Poser must consider the availability of Service Releases, those are not as easy to come by these days.

Completely true, especially when it comes to Poser 5, which had some massive issues in the non-patched release version, if memory serves.

That said, depending on when it was purchased it may have the patches slipstreamed into it, or included on-disk? Not sure about that, though P4 and PPP I believe were fully patched when I bought the disks that I still have back in 2001-ish (and in many ways, PPP was the patch). I had an even older set of disks, but those got losts to the mists of time.

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2021 at 1:08 PM

Someone probably has the Poser 5 patches. I have SR3, and three versions of SR 4. They are different sizes, so I assume they are not duplicates. One is labeled SR 4.1.

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2021 at 1:50 PM

Yeah, those multiple SR4 files. I'm trying to remember if the sub numbers came out within a short period of time because of code being broken with each release.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.