Sun, Oct 6, 6:02 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Can you guess what it is yet ?

mrsparky ( ) posted Thu, 04 March 2021 at 6:20 PM · edited Thu, 04 March 2021 at 6:21 PM

_The wheels for the bin aren't too different from the ones I made for my Marshall stack, _

I'm not surprised as when I looked for inspiration many of this type seem have the same general shape. Possibly different enough for copyright or manufacturing reason.

Though if you look at 3d versions, most have a "flat" bracket that looks like the top version in the piccy below. Most likely because that took less than 60 seconds to model compared to several hours of trying to make it "feel right".

wheeltopo.jpg

_other than the sticky out bit - which I presume could have a brake block if needed. _

Yep, that's what the hole in the top is for, I'm going to add a none working impression of a brake block.Though if you look on the real objects you'll often find only 2 braked castor wheels are fitted. The others tend to be brakeless.

Something I suspect is due to the cost of the braked castors, especially instore. Screwfix (a big UK DIY/tool stores) charges from £6.99 each and Homebase (a similar store) prices scared my wallet so much it ran away screaming. Which is a major problem when you're trying to make something cheap or use recycled materials.

So on the 2nd image I used supermarket trolley wheels and made a "wheel sandwich". Fortunately once loaded up (moreso now the underneath is a timber store) it's so heavy there's no real need for brakes. But in the rare event it does need them, I made some "chocks" from 45 degree cut scrap timber held together with metal straps. (bottom right).

_The main difference is I made the wheels themselves as one piece and if I'd needed extra materials, I'd have added then on, rather than making separate bits. _ Yea I was being a tad lazy there :)

The really interesting thing about modelling is, IMO, everyone has their own approach.

Yes very much so, be that 3d or real world. Which is what I like about threads like this as we can share those approaches and techniques.

I guess the "railway track" parts are most likely RSJs.

Yea I think either is possible.

The wheel part is one piece, and the axle pin is fixed to the bracket on my version:

I like yours as the topo is nice and clean, mine needs some major clean up.

bigbench.jpg

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 06 March 2021 at 2:10 AM

By 'eck, mate, that's a very impressive setup. I could lose myself in a place like that for weeks.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

mrsparky ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2021 at 6:51 PM · edited Sun, 07 March 2021 at 6:52 PM

**By 'eck, mate, that's a very impressive setup. **

Thanks! What I'm most proud of is nearly everything is recycled. Or in the case of the tools all the big ones have been given by the kindness of friends or grants.

I could lose myself in a place like that for weeks.

Normally I can as well, unfortunately these lovely people are our neighbours... https://www.chichester.co.uk/news/crime/arrests-made-after-cannabis-cash-and-white-powder-seized-chichester-area-3122952 ...and ever since then it's been impossible to work in our garages.

Similar indoors as well, the whole block constantly stinks of weed and other horrible chemical smells. Chuck in the day job as well and sometimes it's days before I can find time to work on this.

mrsparky ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2021 at 10:28 PM

On the bright side lack of sleep means you get this ....:)...

winkapromo.jpg

mrsparky ( ) posted Sun, 07 March 2021 at 11:05 PM

OK he's not rigged, but he is something rather fun to make if you ever want to try something different. Something I learnt when trying to improve the textures on the gas tanks for the garden centre set. Something that can be done in literally hours.

The body is from the game Spore. Something you can pick up dirt cheap from most 2nd hand game shops, often for pence/cents. Think I paid under £5 for the core game and the creature creator and 50p for extra creatures.

You'll also need a particular patch and I won't deny this lot can be fiddly to install. But if you persevere (theres loads of tutorials etc online which can help) you'll be able to enable a "cheat" console. One that allows you to export to .dae export with .tga textures.

A .dae that can be easily be converted to .obj using free online services. So you can 3d print this or use it as a poser model. Though the textures are only 512x512, so if using in poser etc, you'll need to make some new ones.

The best way to do this is with something that can paint textures on a mesh. Obviously theres cool stuff like Blacksmith3D (maybe Blender?) or if you're really rich... Zbrush. But theres also Zbrush's (free( baby bro... Sculptris.

However Sculptris is funny about it'll import. Often it'll throw up an error about meshses having more than X verts. Though there's a very simple..and also free solution to that.. MeshMixer.

Meshmixer, as the name suggests, mixes up meshes. Such as in this model, I've used a .STL head model from Thingverse (Creative Commons as well) and the Spore body. Though the important thing is MeshMixer exports to an .OBJ that sculptris will usually accept.

Then once your in sculptris, you can add smooth out any poor connections between the 2 parts. Add some subdivision, add some lumps and bumps etc, or resize areas. And yea I know the hands are too big on this one :)

After that you can enable Sculptris's paint mode and texture paint it. Maximum texture sized allowed is 2048x2048. Just remember to keep saving as Sculptris can be buggy, plus once you enter paint mode, you can't return to the sculpting mode.

Enjoy :)

ghostman ( ) posted Mon, 08 March 2021 at 5:19 AM

LMAO!! Love it

"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

Join PoserLounge Chat

goofygrape ( ) posted Tue, 09 March 2021 at 2:30 PM

you should put the prim monster's head on also ;)

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 10 March 2021 at 8:20 PM · edited Wed, 10 March 2021 at 8:23 PM

Yea I trying making an Ineptasaurus, but like the real thing it just didn't work right. Then watching the news, especially the bit about nurses only getting 1%, it hit me...

What do all politicians do to people...yep that's right...so here for your viewing pleasure is the Johnsonosaurus

thejohnson.jpg

..and if that doesn't give you nightmares, just imagine an VR ad campaign with a neeked Peirs Morgan lying next to you.

Sweet Dreams everyone :)

ghostman ( ) posted Thu, 11 March 2021 at 2:03 AM

now we're talking. hehe

"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

Join PoserLounge Chat

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 13 March 2021 at 6:10 AM

LMAO! Well done, that man.

My Store

My Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 04 April 2021 at 4:01 PM

Hey, Sparks! Have you fallen off the map? Been a bit quiet round here lately. Hope you are OK.

My Store

My Gallery

mrsparky ( ) posted Thu, 08 April 2021 at 6:48 PM · edited Thu, 08 April 2021 at 6:49 PM

Yea I'm fine, it's just the day job :(

What I'm finding is people are fed up with being locked up. Chuck in lockdown/restrictions slowly being reduced and as more folks get their jabs it's making them feel more confident about going out. Problem is that's not being mirrored by support services, many are still not running, virtual only or simply don't exist anymore.

The latter sometimes happening in the most Kafkaesque way possible. Such as closing down a walk-in service, because no one has walked in. While ignoring the fact it was held in a building that the public was banned from entering!

Something that's especially prevalent in the healthcare sector. Which often seems to be run by the kinda "experts" who'd (to blatantly steal the line from Nick Pettigrew's new book) think putting go-faster stripes on lightening is a great idea. A prime example being the rule that says after you've been treated in an ER dept, you must leave immediately.

No passing go, collecting $200 and forget waiting for a taxi. Even if it's 3.03am, it's raining and you are a vulnerable women in your 20's, in a wheelchair.
Which is where my role comes in and why for the last month b*gger all has happened in my personal/artistic life.

Not saying it's been busy, but our dog taught itself to use a can opener. So a result of that, and forgetting what the concept of "walkies" is, he can't fit through a door. Which is a tad disturbing for a chihuahua, but on the plus side, it's made the cat well happy :)

Though when I can find a few hours I do plan to get back into making this set.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 10 April 2021 at 10:29 AM

Rightio, mate. Glad you're OK, other than rushed off yer feet.

You want to think yourself lucky the cat hasn't figured out how to use the can opener. The day they learn how to do that is the day we all die. :D

I say this as the "owner" of 7 cats.

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.