Sun, Oct 6, 6:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 3:44 am)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Importing Content/Categories DB into Poser 11

Blackbirdx61 ( ) posted Fri, 21 May 2021 at 2:49 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 10:23 AM

I'm a long time DAZ user who has a real interest for sometime in Migrating to Poser. I have a reasonably large Runtime about 80Gig; which I have kept separated between DAZ IM content and Rendo content for years. About 90% of my art features my Claudia Character, she is a V4 Character, and I have for years focused on purchasing V4 friendly content, I would say about 2/3 of my Runtime is Rendo/Poser friendly assets.

One big issue I have encountered is that in DAZ I exclusively use the Categories database to keep that large Runtime organized. So in DAZ it is easy for me to find any Actor-Character , Scene or prop.

After mapping Poser 11 to include my Rendo Runtime, when I open Poser the library window, the Library is a total jumble. Its as if my DAZ file cabinets were dumped into a great big closet and good luck finding anything in that mess. Now I'm still very much a Poser Newbie, and may just be totally ignorant but, is there a tool or plug-in that would allow me to import the DAZ user-data file that contains my Categories DB structure into Poser in a useful way. If not is their any sort of Library organizing tool or plugin that would be recommended.

As a Hobbiest in 3D art for over 10 years time is rather precious to me and I dont want to waste too much time sorting through a haystack to find a given asset whenever I am working on a render Idea. I do expect i will have to invest a chunk of time into organizing a Poser library, but hopefully that would be a worth while investment.

Any guidance, especially from former DAZ users would be appreciated. BB.

PenelopeFlynn ( ) posted Fri, 21 May 2021 at 4:26 PM

I thought I was the only one. I also primarily use Poser, and many of my DAZ files are all over the place. In addition many of my DAZ files are being identified as "decompression bombs" by my antivirus suite. I put in a support ticket but I haven't received any response as to what to do. So if anyone has any information I'd certainly like to hear it.

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Sat, 22 May 2021 at 5:03 AM

I hate to say this, but a lot of DS files don't really follow the ZIP structure and runtime structure used by Poser. This can be fixed usually with a manual installation but I do know that the DAZ delivery structure is not the same as it was years ago when I got the Millennium figures from them.

Databases are usually formatted for the software they are to work in. Not something different. That said; there are many built in library customization and content organizing tools in Poser.

I would make the suggestion that you fill in the meta data section of the library item. This will allow the built in search function to find any of your content. Meta data seems the plague for some vendors and is left completely blank.

If you have a favorite character or set or props that you use regularly then favorite them and they will appear in a separate library panel for that purpose.

If you want no touch automagical database import then I have nothing for you.

Blackbirdx61 ( ) posted Sat, 22 May 2021 at 9:15 AM

Thanks Park I'm Not really an Auto Magical tool; but I was mostly curious about tools; after all I can hardly be the only person who has looked at this transition and run into troubles here. If someone has created a third party tool that helps, that would be great. Meantime I'll follow up on your advise and see if I can find some tutorials on using Posers Library tools and seeing if what I can do from there. I do have a few favored Characters and Environments and no doubt they will get imported first. If I understand you correctly I can create my own Library in Poser and that in itself is an insight, I'm sure it will be easier to start from scratch than try to sort out the spaghetti cable I'm looking at just now. TY for your time and thoughts. BB.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.