Tue, Oct 22, 10:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 9:19 am)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Poser 12 Pausing/Stalling/Refreshing between tasks...

Jack D. Kammerer ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2021 at 9:07 AM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:28 AM

Been experiencing this problem for a while now, but it seems to have become even more pronounced to the point that it is becoming frustrating...

I've noticed that between tasks, like clicking on a face/body pose for general tasks or even when saving a render to Poser's Queue Manager that there is a significant pause before I am able to do anything else in Poser... then after the pause the parameters, properties and library seems to refresh and that I can move on with my next task.

This "Pause/Refresh" can take anywhere between 3-5 seconds, before I can click on the next pose or do anything in Poser 12.

I know that it is not the performance of my system... as my specs are beyond what normal users have which is:

ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Glacial Motherboard ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 Strix Graphics Card (about to install a second one as well) INTEL I9-10900K CPU G.SKILL 128GB RAM 2x SAMSUNG E 1TB 970EVO (Boot Drive and Poser 12 on the second Evo) (6x) TOSHIBA 10TB 3.5 7200RPM (one of which Poser's Runtime is on) Windows 10 Professional Edition

It is ONLY Poser 12 that this situation is being experienced on and was wondering if Poser 12 has an intentional pause period written into the script for some reason and if there is a way to reduce the Poser pause/refresh ratio... because this really affects workflow, particularly when you have to do work like creating character sprites or side-image sprite work.

Thanks, Jack

Y-Phil ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2021 at 10:20 AM

Are you experiencing this in the Pose room, in the Material room?

I have had that weird wait quite often, especially in the Material room, and especially when there was numerous nodes interconnected. Since when I started to use the compound node, it's faster

๐’ซ๐’ฝ๐“Ž๐“

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ

๐Ÿ‘ฟย Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
๐Ÿ‘ฟย Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
๐Ÿ‘ฟย Nas 10TB
๐Ÿ‘ฟย Poser 13 and soon 14ย โค๏ธ

Jack D. Kammerer ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2021 at 10:59 AM

I have it everywhere in the application... I don't spend much time in the Material Room, so haven't experienced it there that I can think of, most if it is directly while in the Preview Area... when assigning any kind of poses. Renders are blazingly fast (in part to the rig I use), so a character sprite @ 1300x1080 rendered at FULL SETTINGS only takes around 20 seconds to render out... but, takes a space of 2-4 seconds for Poser to refresh the libraries and parameter area per application of character's face pose (emotions and mouth movement pose) and then another 2-6 seconds to add to the Queue Manager and refreshes the whole system.

Due to the Refresh/Stall rate, doing 720 Character Sprites I am faced with an extra 35 minutes for the full set due the lag, stall, refresh or whatever this issue is. It doesn't promote a good workflow... and is annoying to say the least.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2021 at 11:41 AM

I don't know if it's related or not, I'm almost sure but I think that I gained some speed in the Poser room as well, by just setting these:

2021-08-02_18h40_22.png

๐’ซ๐’ฝ๐“Ž๐“

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ

๐Ÿ‘ฟย Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
๐Ÿ‘ฟย Nas 10TB

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 02 August 2021 at 10:34 PM
Online Now!

I think Poser has some kind of memory leak. I have to restart it every once in awhile, because it gets really slow after awhile. And the cloth sims start shredding, instead of draping. Restarting Poser fixes it all.

There's also a thread around here somewhere that blames the kind of delay you describe on a particular Windows update. The solution is to roll back that update.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2021 at 3:20 AM ยท edited Tue, 03 August 2021 at 3:21 AM

Oh speaking of Windows: Poser was slower indeed, after some update, and it got corrected afterwards. But as I have to repeat from time to time: turning off and on Windows 10 is nothing else than putting on pause. To refresh Windows, you'll need to restart it. Yesterday evening, Poser was once again slowing down, till I remarked using the task manager that Windows had been running for almost 7 days in a row. Once Windows had been rebooted, Poser was faster again (I mean: no lags).

That can be seen in advanced mode: 2021-08-03_10h18_13.png

The "worst" I saw was with an employee of one of our customers: 178 days in a row, even though the person was turning off the computer each end of work day.

๐’ซ๐’ฝ๐“Ž๐“

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ

๐Ÿ‘ฟย Nas 10TB

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2021 at 12:40 PM

Every day, before anything else on the computer, I do a Windows Update, then an NVidia graphics driver update, then my firewall/antivirus update and quick scan. In the past, I've noticed whenever Poser is acting goofy, I need a graphics driver update, which, I think, usually follows a Windows update.

W11,Intel i9-14900KF @ 3.20GHz, 64.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, GeForce GTX 4070 Ti SUPER, 16GB.ย 

Old lady hobbyist.

All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."

ChromeStar ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2021 at 4:30 PM

Y-Phil posted at 4:24PM Tue, 03 August 2021 - #4424442

Oh speaking of Windows: Poser was slower indeed, after some update, and it got corrected afterwards. But as I have to repeat from time to time: turning off and on Windows 10 is nothing else than putting on pause. To refresh Windows, you'll need to restart it.

That's because of a feature called "Fast Startup." The computer doesn't actually shut down, it goes into a sort of sleep mode. Then when you start up, it just resumes where it was. Saves time, but unlike a real shutdown, it doesn't reset anything and accumulated memory issues etc just keep accumulating.

You can disable Fast Startup. Go to the start menu, click the settings gear, click System, then Power & Sleep on the left. On the right click "Additional power options." On the left click "Choose what the power buttons do." Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" and then uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)."

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.