Wed, Oct 2, 6:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Alien Botany 2 - Blender 3d Animated Short

LuxXeon ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2022 at 1:17 AM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 4:22 AM

This is Species 02 in the Alien Botany series.  This species is known as "Species X".  Not much is known about these pods.  They began to appear in various warm climate locations shortly after a mysterious meteor shower. 

Details for Blender animators or enthusiasts:  Rendered at 1920x1080p resolution with Cycles GPU on a single RTX 2070 in Optix mode.  As a test of some geometry nodes, almost all geometry in the scene was created or modified with geometry nodes as instances, so the actual render times were relatively quick.  Each frame took between 10 - 30 seconds per frame, depending on the shot.  Rendering for the entire sequence was completed in about 6 hours.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2022 at 8:52 AM
Forum Moderator

Wow that is really great been playing with the geometry nodes from a few tutorials but they really bog my systems down since still only have a GTX 980 Ti and it still so damn hard trying to find RTX at reasonable prices. But that is impressive work thanks for sharing LuxXeon :thumbsup:

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

LuxXeon ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2022 at 11:38 AM
Lobo3433 posted at 8:52 AM Sat, 29 January 2022 - #4433962

Wow that is really great been playing with the geometry nodes from a few tutorials but they really bog my systems down since still only have a GTX 980 Ti and it still so damn hard trying to find RTX at reasonable prices. But that is impressive work thanks for sharing LuxXeon 👍

Thanks, Lobo.  Yeah, geometry nodes still have a long way to go before they become truly efficient in my opinion.  I didn't start using them until 3.0 (when they added feilds) and I had to use daily experimental builds for certain things here.  They have improved instances and added some gpu optimizations but I feel like it's still a bit too convoluted to use for major projects. 

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2022 at 4:51 PM
Forum Moderator

I agree but they are interesting for making abstract art and such. Have you checked out any of the tutorials by Ducky 3D? He has made some interesting pieces using geometry that were not to resource intense like  

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

goofygrape ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2022 at 10:19 PM

that was so cool , shocking tho.

LuxXeon ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2022 at 11:08 PM

@goofygrape  thank you!  Yeah I wasn't sure what I would do at the end there, but that idea seemed to fit. LOL

@Lobo3433  Yes, I've seen a few Ducky tutorials.  He's very popular so it's hard to miss his vids.  Geometry nodes are fantastic right now for motion graphics.  I've been making short animations with them for a while now.  But things are changing so fast, the tutorials out there for 2.9 geometry nodes are already obsolete with the introduction of fields in 3.0.  Some scene files created with geometry nodes in 2.93 seem to either break or behave differently now if loaded in 3.01 or higher.   I'm waiting for a few more updates before I really dive in seriously, but I'm definitely having some fun with them right now.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2022 at 9:24 AM
Forum Moderator

@LuxXeon I ahve seen your point on some things that were done in 2.93 not working right or having quirky outcomes in 3.0 I just installed 3.01 so have not as of yet run into out of the ordinary just things taking longer to render is my current biggest issue. 

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

LuxXeon ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2022 at 2:01 PM

@Lobo3433 I'd be curious to see if you notice any improvement in speed with the experimental beta release of 3.1.   Some changes to nodes in 3.1 include memory usage improvements of up to 100x, which can improve overall performance by 3 to 4x what it was in v3.0.  Also, many of the nodes have been multi-threaded in the 3.1 version, which can also improve calculations by 4x what they were in 3.0.  For example, the "Realize Instances" node was extremely resource-intensive but has now been multi-threaded, which increases performance tremendously!

I would not have been able to complete this animation in 6 hours if I didn't switch to the experimental build for 3.1 to get the performance improvements.  Instances were just too slow in 3.0, especially when I needed to realize them.  Another thing is that now splines and primitives in Geometry Nodes have been multi-threaded.  I used both of those for the effects in this video, so using 3.1 for the final render really was the only option.  While everything was originally created using v3, my system just couldn't handle the load when it came time to render.  So on a whim, someone suggested trying 3.1 and that really helped.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.