Fri, Oct 4, 4:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: IMPORTANT-All modlers/prop makers please read!

Ikyoto ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 1999 at 8:26 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 4:22 PM

I have been getting an average of 2000 hits a day at my site and (FINALLY) someone asked questions about the textures and props I use. There are so many that making a list with links would be no more or less time consuming than just putting them up on my site. I would like to know who doesn't want their stuff re-distributed. If I listed all the stuff I have we would be here for a week. I will asume that the one that have a text file saying "Go ahead and give it out for non-commercial use/don't sell/no altering/just give me credit/etc/etc" are ok to put up. The format is a simple thumb of the prop with the name of the creator (when known) and the file link. Anyone who doens't want this done should let me know. I already know not to hand out stuff from sites like Zygote and the other fronts for commercial concerns. If I don't know who made it I will put it up and hope someone knows.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 1999 at 8:33 AM

Not a prop maker but what is your site? Want to check it out ... Thanks

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 1999 at 9:28 AM

Shoot hon, distribute any of my stuff that you may have all you want. That's what I did it for. KateThe "Easy To Get Along With Once You Learn To Worship Me" Shrew

Ikyoto ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 1999 at 9:29 AM

http://www.loresinger.com/poser I am updating it as much as possible today - but the real world keeps reachin' up and bitin' me on the butt! And I still have the fighting poses I promised everyone and the Thundercats textures in the works. But the new Presidential Campain poster will be up TONIGHT! (hehehehehe)

bloodsong ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 1999 at 6:53 PM

heya; ikyoto-- i think i'd prefer if my stuff stayed at one spot (on poserworld), so i can keep track of it. thanks. :)

Ikyoto ( ) posted Tue, 30 November 1999 at 9:06 PM

You got it.

Ian Porter ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 1999 at 3:19 PM

You're welcome to post any of my models on your site. Cheers IanP

Ikyoto ( ) posted Fri, 03 December 1999 at 3:58 PM

Ian - thanks... would you know where I could get some dungeoun props? I need set dressing for a Dracula series.

Crescent ( ) posted Sat, 04 December 1999 at 10:56 PM

I don't have much posted yet but anything I upload is for everyone to use. If possible, I'd appreciate credit, but my main goal is to support the arts in any way possible. (A shaft of heavenly light shines brightly upon Crescent, highighting her angelic features.)

MartinC ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 1999 at 3:08 AM

I hope I'm not going to spoil the party, but in my point of view any re-posting of other people's stuff is a very nasty thing to do. There is a difference in "using" (eg use a texture/prop in Poser) and any sort of "distribution" (eg post it on one's site). A read-me telling that the stuff is free for usage, doesn't include the full rights to do with it whatever you want. Therefore I can only suggest that you try to get the permission before you do it - if the read-me already includes an explicit passage about it: fine. If not - PLEASE ask. It prevents you (and the creators) from a lot of potential trouble. MartinC

Foxhollow ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 1999 at 7:15 AM

Ikyoto...You can post any of my props and assorted things off my site. Foxhollow

Ikyoto ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 1999 at 7:49 AM

Martin - that's why I posted here. I don't post other people's stuff without asking. That's like dating someone's sister and then handing out her measurments and phone number... bad karma.

MartinC ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 1999 at 8:12 AM

Of course I wasn't accusing you... I was just referring to your quoted "Go ahead and give it out for non-commercial use/don't sell/no altering/just give me credit/etc/etc" line. In my opinion this doesn't automatically include re-distribution (unless the /etc/etc parts clears it :-) I think whenever some stuff is not clearly marked as "in the public domain" or has a freeware clause which explicitly allows a certain thing, it'll be good not to assume anything but better ask for permission first.

Ikyoto ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 1999 at 9:04 AM

I tend to err on the side of caution. I live with a writer and see stuff on copyright all the time. And being web-artist I like to repect other peoples work - also point out to them that they may wwant to think about including something like a "use/don't use" note in the future to avoid problems. Asking first never hurt and keep the future peace.

MartinC ( ) posted Sun, 05 December 1999 at 4:19 PM

Ikyoto, as I said before, I totally understand this and fully support the way how you handle it. I just wanted to take the opportunity and point out the problem - the past has shown many times that a lot of users (even with good intention) are not aware of this legal difference, and quickly ran into a lot of trouble. Cheers, MartinC

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.