Tue, Oct 22, 12:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:57 pm)

Subject: Win XP's licensing agreement

rtamesis ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2001 at 1:50 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 12:32 AM

Attached Link: http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-7411141.html

See CNET's article on this for those of you thinking of installing Win XP.

proteus ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2001 at 2:23 PM

Well my take on the article was that all the hoopla was geared towards the business environment, not the private sector. I have XP on my system now, and I am not bound to upgrade in two years, three years, four years, or ever. If you are trying to alert the private individual that Micro$oft will lock them into an upgrade contract, this is NOT the case. The controversy is over business' being bound to such a contract. The only thing that I can see at this time that would effect the private individual is that businesses finding themselves trapped into this 'scheduled' and contractual agreement with Micro$oft will defer the cost by raising the prices of their services and or goods. Thus, we the private individuals will pay higher prices. In the end, it's always the little guy that gets the shaft.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2001 at 2:52 PM

Individuals users of Windows XP DO NOT...DO NOT have to pay for it more than once!!! Why is everyone so dang paranoid?? You don't have to upgrade if you don't want to and you don't have to "buy" an upgrade contract. You pay for it ONCE, just like always. The only thing that's different is that shady registration stuff, but that's IT. If you are that worried about the new registration process, then don't upgrade...simple as that. I plan to and I don't see what everyone is so afraid of (other than your computer not working afterward...LOL). Laurie

proteus ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2001 at 2:57 PM

You go girl! ;o)

thgeisel ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2001 at 3:18 PM

I upgraded from win98 to xp yesterday and Im happy i did!! Nomore importing probs in b4 with lager files,no more probs with larger textures in poser.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2001 at 3:18 PM

sigh...sorry, it's just that everyone is getting so anxious over this XP thing that it seems like there's some sort of disinformation campaign going on out there about it. I know that the registration is a little, ah, different, but it's not like everything on your computer gets sent to Microsoft, only your hardware config. Billy Boy doesn't have that much power yet ;). Give him time...then I'll be paranoid right along with ya. But not yet :) Laurie

thgeisel ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2001 at 3:28 PM

if you only want xp to be activated you dont have to send your name or adress.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2001 at 2:42 AM

sigh...sorry, it's just that everyone is getting so anxious over this XP thing that it seems like there's some sort of disinformation campaign going on out there about it.

There is. A specific and deliberate one coming form some of the open software "advocates" who see this as a perfect opportunity to sow some paranoia. Go take a look at Slashdot some time to see the hatred. It's too bad, some really smart peopel are making decisions with anatomy items other than their brains :)

When you add in that it is in vogue in the tech press to be anti-MS then you have some really bad info being handed out as fact.

The simple reality is that Windows2000 was a great OS and Windows XP is a improvement over 2K. Soem really nice features are involved...

• Secure, built in remote control software for tech support purposes. This is really good for me, I have relatives and friends who use me for tech support (not to mention clients) and this has already saved me a lot fo driving.
  • Fantastic stability. We have been running some testing servers and one production server on XP and it is amazingly stable - easily as stable as out Linux systems.
  • Built in firewall. This will go a long way to helping stop a lot of the rampant access problems on the internet today.
  • Much faster boot up. Typically about 1/3 to 1/2 the time of Win98 or Win2K.
  • User switching for the home. Your rendering in Bryce, your son wants to check his email or play a game for a few minutes while you handle something else. No problem, he can log in and your render is still running in a completely separate process space - he can't accidentally ruing it and if his Quake session crashes your render keeps on going.
  • Unified code base. Finally, the consumer level and enterprise level systems are running a single operating system. This vastly  simplifies the issues of security fixes and bug stomping while bringing radically improved stability and security to home users.

Generally this release rocks. Linux was a huge incentive for MS to get it right and they did. This pisses off a lot of folks.

thgeisel ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2001 at 3:22 AM

Soul: I agree,got it on thursday and it really rocks,no bluescreens , no problems with memory.... Only my old scanner for the parallelport doesnt work,waiting for some drivers.

Lorraine ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2001 at 4:55 AM

what if you have more than one machine, is this version limited to using on only one machine?...

soulhuntre ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2001 at 5:14 AM

"what if you have more than one machine, is this version limited to using on only one machine?..." Yes, this version theoretically limits you to using it on one machine only. You would need to purchase additional licenses for your other machines. Of course, you were never supposed to use one copy of windows on multiple machines - XP simply tries to enforce that reality.

vronsky ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2001 at 5:39 AM

yeahw!!! Try to take it on for more than 12 hours....hehehehehe...

Phantast ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2001 at 9:02 AM

The issue with XP registration is one of privacy. It may not seem a big deal to many, but erosion of privacy, like erosion of anything, is a series of small decays that ends up adding up to quite a big destruction.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2001 at 9:23 AM

The only thing Microsoft will get is your hardware config. No info on your apps, private files or anything else. I'm off to get XP today...wish me luck. According to XP's update advisor, I'm pretty much good to go. Laurie

Preston ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2001 at 10:50 AM

XP generates a 5- digit code for the computer you install it on. The code is based on the hardware components in your machine. According to MAXIMUM PC (Nov 2001), "If you try to activate the same registration code with a different hardware configuration, the proverbial alarm bells sound, and the anti-piracy police come a-running to put the kibosh on your sneaky little operation." Their tests showed you may be able to change out up to 6 pieces of "monitored hardware" within a 6 month period without having to call Microsoft for permission to reactivate your OS. If you do change out more than the allowed hardware you have to call and get another activation code.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2001 at 1:09 PM

Try to take it on for more than 12 hours....hehehehehe...

I'll just assume this is humor :)

I typically have Windows2000 development stations that are up for weeks at a time doing code development. The render farm machines at one of my clients stay up for months without any problem and the servers have never crashed. Every single reboot has been planned to update various security features.

Oh, and they have never been 'hacked' because we do keep up with the patches.

The only thing Microsoft will get is your hardware config. No info on your apps, private files or anything else.

There are of course a horde of eager anti-MS people out there - as well as many who are neutral but cautious - with network sniffers checking what WinXp sends back. Microsoft knows this and you can be sure nothing untoward is happening.

I'm off to get XP today...wish me luck. According to XP's update advisor, I'm pretty much good to go.

Good luck! I think you're going to be pretty happy.

"If you try to activate the same registration code with a different hardware configuration, the proverbial alarm bells sound, and the anti-piracy police come a-running to put the kibosh on your sneaky little operation."

Well - the code won't work, that's for sure. But since they don't know anything about you the piracy police won't be able to find you - even if MS cared and such a thing existed :)

Their tests showed you may be able to change out up to 6 pieces of "monitored hardware" within a 6 month period without having to call Microsoft for permission to reactivate your OS. If you do change out more than the allowed hardware you have to call and get another activation code.

You can find out all the details of the WPA system on http://www.licenturion.com/xp/. You actually get multiple complete changes as well before you would need to call.

Hope that helps!

StolenHeart20 ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2001 at 2:42 PM

Theoretically I think XP can... as Sandra Bulock said in DemolitionMan... 'shovel it'

markdotcom ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2001 at 6:21 PM

Incidentially, I'm holding out for Service Pack 1. It plans to integrate the missing letters in "XP", giving the user the benefit of having the full word "experience" in the title (or, arguably, "experienced"). They also are going to allow for further customizations, such as changing the Start Menu fonts exclusively and including a new animated helper, the "Internet Spider". Under the working title of "John", this animated spider spins dynamic real-time webs (openGL enhanced in 64-bit color) and provides EXTRA hyperlinks designated by Microsoft or "interested parties" that relate to the content you're browsing at any particular time. John the Spider will have two settings: 1) Pop up more often, and 2) Pop up less often, but still pop up. He can be disabled through regedit, but the HKEY reference will vary depending on what time of day you apply the service pack. Microsoft is also planning a Plus! Pack Plus! which will include the SP1 updates, plus (!) more hyperlinks to games on Microsoft's own Zone.com gaming area. So much to look forward to!

soulhuntre ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2001 at 6:45 PM

Interesting ideas mark, can you point me at someplace I can see more information/confirmation?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.