Tue, Oct 1, 5:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Underwater submarine

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 7:51 PM

file_506226.png

Here are some things you can adjust. Of course the right way is to use the BBOcean plugin user interface.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 7:54 PM

file_506227.png

The slower wind speed shaders don't have foam so they are built a little differently. (Matmatic optimizes to fewest nodes it can make work. With no foam, the nodes come out simpler.)

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 8:07 PM

file_506230.png

Here's a nifty trick to let you use some sky images that happen to have ground that shows through the water.

You set this shader up on it (save it so you can use again and again).

The shader has a blender where you get to put what color to use on the bottom half of the environment sphere. This obliterates whatever nasty bottom image is there, like this road and desert.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 8:10 PM

file_506231.jpg

Here's the bottom set to black.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 8:11 PM

file_506232.png

The bottom set to white.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 8:12 PM

file_506233.png

The bottom set to deep blue.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 8:13 PM

file_506234.png

The bottom set to green.

This is a very useful technique to manipulate your water's color.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 8:17 PM

file_506235.jpg

Important tip - do the best job you can to line up your poser infinite light with the sun in the environment sphere image. This is not lined up. The specular highlight in preview is clearly off center.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 8:18 PM

file_506236.png

The sun here is aligned correctly.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 8:20 PM

file_506237.jpg

Check that out. Magnificent. Who gives you better water in Poser? Nobody.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 8:26 PM

file_506238.jpg

I've been doing most of my shots with IBL and no IDL, for speed.

But at some angles, IDL is fast. This was a 20 second render with IDL.

Experiment. Don't be afraid to try more advanced techniques. They are not always slow.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 31 July 2014 at 8:44 PM

file_506240.jpg

Back to the title of the thread - underwater submarine.

After this weekend (I'm going away) I'll return from this above-water diversion and get our camera back under the water.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 4:01 AM

As regards converting a "rounded the same upwards and downwards" procedural wave such as the procedural clouds surface, into a form more pointed on top like water waves, I have been playing about with equations.

If the vertical dimension is y, if the procedural clouds surface is y = f(x,z) :-

As a plain water wave train of only one wavelength moves, each surface molecule of water moves not straight up and down but in a vertical circle, forwards on top and backwards at the bottom. If a is the amplitude and b is how many waves in distance 2*pi, the plain wave train becomes a cycloid with pointed tops when a/b = 1.

Work out the procedural clouds surface at plenty of sets of values of x y z.

At each (x,z) point, work out u = integral y d x , and v = integral y d z

The lower integration limits should the same right through.

Replace each x by its x+u, and each z by its z+v.

In areas where this puts the points out of order in x or z and the y=f(x,z) surface is folded over itself, the wave has broken and there should be a foam patch there.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 4:30 AM

Thanks for the toys! I have an ocean scene that I've been tinkering with. It's sure to work better with a BBocean. :)

Maybe an Ocean Front version 2 might be on the cards, if you can persuade DreamlandModels?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 7:08 AM · edited Fri, 01 August 2014 at 7:11 AM

file_506244.jpg

> Quote - As regards converting a "rounded the same upwards and downwards" procedural wave such as the procedural clouds surface, into a form more pointed on top like water waves, I have been playing about with equations....

This is a great point, Anthony, and while I like your suggestion, I don't see a way to integrate a 3D fractal in Poser.

I have, however come up with something effective but simple.

Assuming the fractal cloud (C) is roughly sinusoidal (with suitable randomness applied, of course) in the range 0 to 1, it can be converted to something very close to a trochoid like this.

1 - Abs(2C - 1)

I modified my plugin to use that and here is the result.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 7:10 AM

file_506245.jpg

The cusp is a little too sharp - it needs to be modulated back to a round shape for all but the highest waves.

This is an improvement and I'm sure I can fix it, but I have to get ready to go away for the weekend.

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 8:13 AM

Oooh, that's a nice touch - great work, BB!

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 8:46 AM

file_506246.jpg

Here is a version of my last image using the -abs(value-.5) method to invert the tops of the waves.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 01 August 2014 at 1:16 PM

o.k., enjoy yer vacation (unless it's in Providence) and thx fr great water shader! 

those hdrilabs sets come with IBL whose UV co-ordinates may be recalculated to polar (altitude/azimuth or x-rot/y-rot on poser inf-lite).  e.g. desert highway is xrot -24, yrot 80.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2014 at 2:30 AM

ERRATUM :-

I wrote:

"If a is the amplitude and b is how many waves in distance 2pi, the plain wave train becomes a cycloid with pointed tops when a/b = 1*."

This should be:-

"If a is the amplitude (= half the wave height), the plain wave train becomes a cycloid with pointed tops when (wavelength / a) = 2*pi."

arrow1 ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2014 at 10:02 PM
Online Now!

Hi Everyone, I have just come across this interesting thread.I have been trying for over twelve months to get animated water in Poser Pro 2014 without much success.Without wanting to diverse from the original thread,Is it possible to animate the water from the OBJ from TurboSquid? I also have been trying to get a WW2 U-Boat travelling in heavy weather on the surface. I have also tried it in Vue 11 Infinite. However with my 4 Poser figures (animated as crew) it takes forever to to just render a preview. Poser seems to handle this better! Cheers

Custom built computer 128 gigs RAM,2 Terrabyte hard drive, NVIDIA RTX 3060 12 Gig, Intel i9, Dual Dell Screens, 0/S Windows 11, networked to a Special 12th Generation intel I9, RTX 3060 12 Gig, Windows 11,64 gigs RAM, Dual Phillips Screens, 2 Terrabyte SSD Hard Drive plus 1 Terrabyte Hard Drive,3rd Computer intel i7,64 gigs ram, Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GeForce 1660 Ti 6 Gig,1 Terrabyte Hard Drive, OS Windows 10 64 Bit Dual Samsung Syncmaster 226bw Screens.Plus Lenovo Laptop 64 Bit,12 gigs Ram.Intel i7 chip.Windows 10 Pro and Ultimate. 4 x 2 Terrabyte Hard Drives and 2 x 2 Terrabyte external USB Hard drives. All Posers from 4 to Poser 2010 and 2012, 2014. Poser 11 and 12, 13, Hexagon 2.5 64 Bit, Carrara 8.5 Pro 64 bit, Adobe Photoshop CS4 Creative Production Suite. Adobe Photoshop CC 2024, Vue 10 and 10.5 Infinite Vue 11 14.5 Infinite plus Vue 15 and 16 Infinite, Vue 2023 and 2024, Plant Catologue, DAZ Studio 4.22, iClone 7 with 3DXchange and Character Creator 3, Nikon D3 Camera with several lenses.  Nikon Z 6 ii and Z5. 180-600mm lens, 24-70 mm lens with adapter.Just added 2x 2 Terrabyte portable hard drives.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sat, 02 August 2014 at 11:32 PM · edited Sat, 02 August 2014 at 11:47 PM

Attached Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycloid#Related_curves

> Quote - Hi Everyone, I have just come across this interesting thread.I have been trying for over twelve months to get animated water in Poser Pro 2014 without much success. ...

If the complete water wave pattern could be split (by a method somewhat like Fourier analysis) into various wave trains (each with its own one frequency), then the speed of each wave train is proportionate to the square root of its wavelength. That is why on the sea, big long waves roll on fast and overtake small overlying ripples.

If amplitude * 2 * pi / wavelength is small, the curve is nearly a sine wave, but the tops are curved slightly sharper then the bottoms. If amplitude * 2 * pi < wavelength, the curve is a curtate cycloid; the tops are curved sharper then the bottoms.

If amplitude * 2 * pi = wavelength, the curve is a cycloid; the tops are sharp.

If amplitude * 2 * pi > wavelength, the curve is a prolate cycloid; the tops are loops, and on the surface water tries to go through other water, but cannot, and breaks into foam.

For curtate and prolate cycloids, see the image at is link.

It is not the same with light waves and sound waves.

Keith ( ) posted Sat, 06 September 2014 at 12:39 PM

Quote - OK I found the underwater runtime. I have to do some work to use it. Upon loading the scene into PP2014, it changed the names of my props, adding _1 to them all. This messed up the script which expected names like "WaterPlane", not "WaterPlane_1".

I'm improving some of the materials. Here's a demo.

Bumping again, did the shader to attach to the atmosphere depth cue ever get put up somewhere? I've got an underwater scene to render and have been looking everywhere.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 06 September 2014 at 3:55 PM

I did not release it. But I'm gonna send you a dropbox link to a zip file containing all the work as it exists so you can play. 

Wodokan ( ) posted Sun, 03 January 2016 at 7:14 AM

Hi, I found this thread by looking for water-related materials - and it still looks really impressive!

I wonder if you have ever tried to adapt use this type of material on extremely shallow water surfaces? I am primarily for procedually generated tears (and teary eyes). I have been playing around with a shader by RedViper from ShareCG. For pretty much everything else, I am meanwhile getting better results outside of Firefly (e.g., Reality and Luxrender) - but not for this kind of thing.

Any advice?

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Thu, 17 March 2016 at 3:19 AM · edited Thu, 17 March 2016 at 3:32 AM

Referring back to setting up a non-linear falloff for the Poser atmosphere's DepthCue, way back in Jul 2010 on page 3 of this thread with bagginsbill's post that endedwith,

b = x / (1 - .5 ^ (x / h))

Wow - Yay! This is exactly the compensation function we need to make the Poser Atmosphere attenuation function do what we want. We need to plug a node network into DepthCue_EndDist, also known as "b", that implements the function we just arrived at.

Great. So all we need is the distance from the camera to the point being rendered.

Uhoh. There is no node that does that. I wish there was. Are we dead?

Nope. If we accept a tiny bit of manual work setting up a shader, we can get this done.

But ... it's really late and I've got to go to bed. So, more tomorrow."

followed by the tantalizing question on page 4 that ended bagginsbill's penultimate post that same day:

...can you figure out how we can calculate the distance from the camera to the object?

I've searched the rest of the thread, and I've racked my brains - but I just can't find/figure out the answer.

Can anybody enlighten me?

??? In the Poser 9 material room how can I get the distance from the camera to the point being rendered ???

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Fri, 18 March 2016 at 2:27 AM

After a bit more thought I have a potential answer - 15 nodes, but you have to manually enter the camera's x, y, and z coordinates into three nodes.

I've posted my possible solution to my "Distance From Camera To Point Being Rendered ?" thread in RDNAs Node Cult forum

http://forum.runtimedna.com/showthread.php?104645-Distance-From-Camera-To-Point-Being-Rendered

And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 18 March 2016 at 1:59 PM

Posting here just for continuity but otherwise I'm not here.

You are correct - no node will, by itself, give us the coordinate of the camera. However, a small, continuously running background python script does so with ease. I later wrote such a script. I use it to copy the camera coordinates into a User_Defined node in the shader.

Now -- given that you got this far, I'll tell you that 15 nodes is way more than necessary. Here's a hint: in FireFly, vector math and color math are the same damn thing.

The P (rendered point position) node gives a vector. The User_Defined node (for camera position) also gives a vector. How small can you get it using that tip?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 18 March 2016 at 2:19 PM

I don't have time to ever finish this thing to perfection. I have uploaded all the work I did -- caveat emptor. Go get it -- BBUnderWaterRuntime.zip.

https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/free-stuff/tutorial-scenes

Note: I do not get notified here about replies so I don't come here to talk anymore. I am also avoiding RDNA now. I am at CGBytes.

IsaoShi ( ) posted Fri, 18 March 2016 at 3:30 PM · edited Fri, 18 March 2016 at 3:31 PM

caveat emptor.

Caveat receptor!

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

Latexluv ( ) posted Fri, 18 March 2016 at 8:48 PM

Oh, thank you, thank you!

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Fri, 18 March 2016 at 11:50 PM

Yet again, thank you bagginsbill - time to register at cgbytes.

moogal ( ) posted Thu, 27 October 2022 at 8:21 PM
bagginsbill posted at 7:17 PM Mon, 28 June 2010 - #3664811

Now I do the math. As before, the transmission is 50% at 80 feet. But, with the correct asymptotic falloff, the transmission is 25% at 160 feet, not 0. At 250 feet (where the second sub conning tower is) the transmission is about 11.5%. At the tail of the second sub, about 360 feet away, the transmission is about 4.4%. The transmission *never* goes to 0.

Read this whole thread and it's never explained how to correct for asymptotic falloff. Has there been shared a simple node set-up just to fix the atmospheric depth cuing? 
It seems from a post at hivewire that this was shared at some point: "bagginsbill created a shader way back that swaps the linear interpolation for a more realistic depth simulation somewhere in an 'underwater submarine' thread over at Renderosity (I don't have the link at hand, but I'll track it down and post later). But you need to put the x,y,z coordinates of the current camera into one of the shader nodes - you can either do this manually (rather a pain) or automate it with a callback function that he also provided."

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 27 October 2022 at 8:46 PM

Bagginsbill site is documented on the WayBack machine internet archive. His downloads are still available there. When you click the download link for the UnderWaterRuntime zip there will be a long redirect and it will seem like it's not working but the file WILL download after a wait. This is via Chrome and has just been tested with a successful download...

Link to UnderWaterScene zip

UnderWaterScene zip

Image of just downloaded file (via Chrome on my Samsung Tablet)...

jvVCFzzWsM4zB93dOs3MoLDnrRJa83p2Im0dTgwj.jpg

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 27 October 2022 at 8:49 PM

Apparently the zip also contains a python script that automates what you are trying to do. I haven't looked at it or the contents of the zip yet. Who knows if the python will work in the version of Poser you are using.

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 27 October 2022 at 8:54 PM · edited Thu, 27 October 2022 at 8:54 PM

General link to Internet Archive Snapshot of BB's site Homepage

BB Site Home Page

EwoNOV0k0kdUA6r4Hr2VpzYlSzgmp4iPtQEjhg2A.jpg

primorge ( ) posted Thu, 27 October 2022 at 8:55 PM

You're welcome

moogal ( ) posted Fri, 28 October 2022 at 3:49 PM

primorge posted at 8:49 PM Thu, 27 October 2022 - #4447720

Apparently the zip also contains a python script that automates what you are trying to do. I haven't looked at it or the contents of the zip yet. Who knows if the python will work in the version of Poser you are using.

Thank you very much, I was able to grab the file.
I am staying with Poser 11.3.818 for the reason of python scripts. The last time they changed Python I lost compatibility with Weirdjuice's (paid) MetaForm plug-in which was sadly never updated. (Even if it should work, whether or not I can get it working is another matter...)

moogal ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2022 at 9:21 PM
primorge posted at 8:49 PM Thu, 27 October 2022 - #4447720

It looks like the python script sets up an underwater atmosphere, which unfortunately is not what I am trying to do. What I am trying to do is fix the depth cuing so that it does not fall off sharply but rather extends indefinitely. This script does set this up, but also does a lot of other things and it is not immediately clear at all which are related specifically to the depth cue fall off and which are related to the scene being under water.

https://community.hivewire3d.com/threads/upping-the-ante-with-the-poser-atmospheres-depth-cue-im-still-using-poser-11-with-firefly.4451/

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2022 at 3:07 PM

The depth-cue is entirely in the atmosphere shader. The color is affected by distance to the surface as well as distance from the camera so you're right that it is more than just correcting the linear attenuation. Hmmmm. I don't even have Poser where I'm at. Maybe you could screenshot the shader and post it here and I can look it over?

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Wed, 02 November 2022 at 9:24 AM

The post over at Hivewire that moogal mentioned sounds like one of mine. I remember bagginsbill guiding me through the creation of the realistic falloff depth cue shader on the CGBytes Poser material room forum (the node knows?) and posting a screenshot of the complete shader over there.

But that forum seems to have disappeared.

I'm fairly sure that I have all the information including an MT5 on my laptop, but that's at home whereas I'm not. Not sure how long you'll have to wait though, so posting a screenshot of the atmosphere shader you downloaded as bagginsbill suggests may be the quickest.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2022 at 10:56 PM

The internet archive / wayback machine ( archive.org ) has several snapshots for 2018-2019 of the CGBytes "Distance from camera to point being rendered" topic (original URL https://www.cgbytes.com/community/forums.aspx?g=posts&t=115138#post125025 ). but rather infuriatingly the images don't seem to have been captured, just the text.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2022 at 12:40 AM · edited Fri, 04 November 2022 at 12:43 AM

Working frpm memory and the text on the internet archive snapshot of the CGBytes page I think it was something like this ?

wO4v5AfgPYzfx7XTSvG9I0LXYg60oCKlMIyejYOj.JPG

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2022 at 1:04 AM

At least one probable mistake in the sketch above: L don't think you can use a P node for the camera position - I think it used the node where you can set a colour by specifying r,g,b values and setting r=cameraX, g=cameraY, and b=cameraZ. 'User Defined' node rings a bell.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.