Sat, Sep 14, 11:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 12

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Specifying Software Type when shopping on the Renderosity website

Cosmasad1 ( ) posted Sat, 12 November 2022 at 10:12 AM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 11:42 PM

Hi All,

When shopping on the Renderosity website if I've got Poser 12, if I don't see Poser 12 as an option, which one do I choose?  The one closest to it -- like Poser 11?

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 12 November 2022 at 11:36 AM
Online Now!

If you choose Marketplace-->New Poser Products, you can see the Poser offerings that are the most recent, and the ones that are specifically for P12 are marked as such. Generally P11 products work OK in P12 although some material shaders for Superfly may need adjustment. 

Cosmasad1 ( ) posted Sat, 12 November 2022 at 3:25 PM

Oh, hi Rhia. That's really helpful!  But if you aren't looking for new products but looking for a piece of clothing like a tuxedo, say, or a wedding dress and don't care how old it is, what would you choose? :)

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 12 November 2022 at 3:55 PM
Online Now!

I search for 'tuxedo', filter for Poser in the Software menu, then filter by figure (whichever you want to use). There aren't that many, and looking at them individually you can almost always tell the software version number. As I said the materials almost always need changing.

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2022 at 3:57 PM

Let's say I want a hat. I enter Hat in the Search and get results. Then I click the Old Search link. Along the righthand column, I go to Software and see which Poser has the most results and click that one. It's usually Poser 7+. Additional filtering can be done from there, like selecting a figure or genre. But if it's an item that won't have too many results, I'll just use the Software dropdown in the default (new) search to select Poser like Rhia474 does.

W11,Intel i9-14900KF @ 3.20GHz, 64.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, GeForce GTX 4070 Ti SUPER, 16GB. 

Old lady hobbyist.

All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."

Cosmasad1 ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2022 at 4:29 PM

My question is this:  If I have Poser 12 (which I do) can I use ANY of the hats that are available regardless of which year's software they were made for?

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2022 at 4:30 PM · edited Sun, 13 November 2022 at 4:31 PM
Online Now!

In Poser 12 you can use any Poser version's products. They may require material tweaking, some significantly so. But yes, if it's made for Poser 99.9% you can use the products.

I have assets I use from Poser 7 days.

ChromeStar ( ) posted Sun, 13 November 2022 at 10:27 PM

The filters in the marketplace aren't very good, because they are actually just tags the creator needed to specify. In principle you should be able to say, "I have Poser 11, show me any content that will work", but it will only show the ones the creator explicitly said "Poser 11" for. Something from Poser 9 will certainly work, but they might not have checked that box.

It would be pretty useful if there was an option to pick "any Poser" rather than having to specify a specific version, because picking any specific version will filter things out. And if you pick multiple versions, it only shows items tagged for all of them, so that gets you even less.

NikKelly ( ) posted Wed, 16 November 2022 at 5:17 PM

IIRC, the only 'may not work' between P_12 and prior is anything that invokes Python due version change.

I seem to remember a sorta tutorial on how to edit 'old' python files to 'play nice' with new version...

Um, materials ? I recently loaded a 'classic' model, discovered each of the many materials invoked at least a dozen Superfly Cycles nodes. I made window wider and wider, more kept appearing. In the end, I just deleted all but their very basics. My 'post-middle-aged' eyes could not discern any quality loss...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.