Tue, Oct 1, 5:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Going Back to Its Roots

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2022 at 12:52 PM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 5:14 PM

You know, it dawns on me that as part of an upgrade, Poser could benefit from going back to it's roots, such as animation and the WalkDesigner. But whereas the WalkDesigner would just let a figure walk a path, The new upgrade would have any figure or object move along the path. The neat thing would be if the User could designate what movement along the line the figure or object would make. So in addition to figures walking along a path, they could also slide, or bounce or roll along the path as well.  The neat trick is that it would all be really one movement, sliding from one end of the path to the other.  The trick would be to have the wheels or a ball animated at the same time to "roll" along the line.  So a ball, or a car would look like it's rolling along the path. Have the ball "bounce" at the same time and it would bounce and roll along the path.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2022 at 12:58 PM

That would make too much sense 1QQO5mGYikh5WALPip17KPbgjc1pvnv69X5AnYeU.png

Richard60 ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2022 at 5:11 PM

The only advantage I can see to using the Walk path as you described is that you can see it laying on the ground.  Since the path is really nothing more than a spline curve it is easy enough to create a starting and ending point on the timeline and just put in extra keys to make it move left or right.  The walk designer has the flaw that it does not shorten/lengthen a step as it goes around a bend.  Trying to figure the math to make wheels turn at the correct speed would be very difficult.  It is possible (I did it when making the 60 second commercial), but that was knowing the size of the wheel and how far it was going to move, and even then, it probably was not correct.  However, it would be hard to prove it was wrong.

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2022 at 7:24 PM · edited Sun, 27 November 2022 at 7:26 PM
Richard60 posted at 5:11 PM Sun, 27 November 2022 - #4450411

The only advantage I can see to using the Walk path as you described is that you can see it laying on the ground.  Since the path is really nothing more than a spline curve it is easy enough to create a starting and ending point on the timeline and just put in extra keys to make it move left or right.  The walk designer has the flaw that it does not shorten/lengthen a step as it goes around a bend.  Trying to figure the math to make wheels turn at the correct speed would be very difficult.  It is possible (I did it when making the 60 second commercial), but that was knowing the size of the wheel and how far it was going to move, and even then, it probably was not correct.  However, it would be hard to prove it was wrong.

Yeah, but radii and such could still be figured out.At some point, a simple chart would be all that needed to be used.

Richard60 ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2022 at 11:36 PM

Also, if you look at Poser 11.1+ it has the 3D path.  This allowed you to move anything along a path and had some nice controls once you got used to it.  It was removed in Poser 12.  One of the neat things was at each Way Point you could control other channels besides the path.  That way you changed the facing of an object (or # of rotations).  But since no one complained about it being removed that shows no one even knew that it existed.  

Richard60 ( ) posted Sun, 27 November 2022 at 11:38 PM

One of the big reasons it was removed was that it used non-standard movement storage and was not editable via the Animation controls.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 28 November 2022 at 2:46 PM

You ask for so little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14tNq-fqTmQ

Watch this and then come back and tell your new expectations for the next version.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.