Mon, Jul 8, 1:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 08 1:15 pm)

Subject: Need a good rigging tutorial

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 06 January 2023 at 8:26 AM · edited Mon, 08 July 2024 at 11:58 AM

I am trying to rig this helmet to open, basically just X rotate. I can get it into Poser, group it by the materials, and create 3 separate props. The problem comes when I attempt to create a new figure from the hierarchy tab. The created figure is all one prop, and dial spinning deforms it instead of opening like I want it to.

So I am looking for a decent tutorial. The one I found was a Poser tutorial that shows using the setup room and creating bones. I am pretty sure that there is an easier way. I had a really good tutorial on my old computer, but it's gone now. I don't remember who made it or where I found it. It was back when I was still using Poser 9.

Anyone know of a good tutorial that doesn't involve going into the setup room? I will if I have to, but I'd rather not have to go that route.

Here is the helmet. I Y-translated the top to show that it is two parts.

aISCGBJh8zmkCs0y3jTNwAELTB77J8ZRojX34lvE.png

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

Cage ( ) posted Fri, 06 January 2023 at 9:57 AM

It looks like this one outlines the old .phi file figurebuild process:  http://www.faeriewylde.com/tutorials/WingTut.html

The old PHI Builder program is available here:  https://ia601203.us.archive.org/view_archive.php?archive=/20/items/various_cd-rom_iso_collection_2016_07/Infomagic%20-%20Windows%206-Pak%20%28Disc%202%20of%206%29.iso&file=3D-Graphics-Editors.html

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 06 January 2023 at 10:12 AM

I will read it over. Thanks.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

noxiart ( ) posted Fri, 06 January 2023 at 3:57 PM

1. Export both parts of your helmet seperately as object files.

(Make sure to choose the correct import/export scale. I import stuff from Poser into Wings3D using 20.0 and export using 0.05)

2. Import the two objects into Poser one by one.

3. Open the Hierarchy Editor.

4. Rename the lower part "Body".

Make the upper part a child of the Body. (Simply pull the name of the upper part over the "Body" in the Hierarchy Editor.)

5. Select the Body (!) and click "Create Figure" in the Hierarchy Editor. Select a name.

6. Open a new scene.

7. Load the new figure that Poser created from the "New Figure" folder of your Poser root library.

8. As your figure is supposed to be a hard-shelled object that does not deform, select both figure parts and disable "Bend".

9. Open the Joint Editor and edit the center of the moveable upper part, so that it will properly "open" if you dial xRotate. (You can also rename xRotate to "open" afterwards)

10. Add textures and safe your finished helmet figure once again to a library of your choice.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 06 January 2023 at 4:30 PM

Ok, thanks!

I am going to remodel it. I didn't like it. I will remodel it with the opening in mind, so there are no weird things going on.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 06 January 2023 at 5:05 PM · edited Fri, 06 January 2023 at 5:05 PM

Got this done, so I need to start on the helmet remodel:

rhgYwknQmkXFGeEOxkI2b3oxku11nFfzwVIVjOiK.png

flJ2DMWYQIfC0q6P64mjUjMUr4A9yb73IC1IUqDF.png

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 06 January 2023 at 5:29 PM · edited Fri, 06 January 2023 at 5:29 PM

Huh. This is cool, but like I said, I want to remodel.

fjz6SAFBmjdJe0xIBgtsxtgl7UOSksQ1ZO6zpOcl.png

ghostman ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2023 at 10:54 AM

Nice work rokket. :)

"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

Join PoserLounge Chat

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2023 at 11:35 AM

Nice but not much protective padding.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2023 at 12:28 PM

I am working on a new design. I ran into issues, and started on the Elastagirl thing.

I will be going back to this soon.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.