Thu, Oct 3, 12:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Not sure if this subject is in the correct forum....

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2023 at 10:18 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 12:18 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to learn a new software package for UV Mapping. I'm using Ultimate Unwrap 3D and I've looked at online forums and they seem to be centered around using it for gaming and not general questions. Can anyone point me in the right direction to just ask a few basic questions as I delve into this software?

Thanks,

Steve (Arrowhead42)

Here's the link to my freebies:   https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?uid=493127

My cousin Jack can speak to beans. That's right.... Jack and the beans talk

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2023 at 3:02 PM
Forum Moderator

I am not familiar with the software itself and usually do all my UV unwrapping in Blender but ask and maybe I might be able to point you in the right direction of where you might be able to get answers. 

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

Warlock279 ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2023 at 3:59 PM

First I've heard of that software, looks decent for a stand-alone.

Anywhere that covers the basics, even if its targeted toward using the software for game dev, should be fine. There's not any significant difference in the basics of UV'ing a model for games vs one for cinema vs one for anything else. Marking seams, unwrap modes, relaxing to account for stretching, etc, are universal to process rather than the end use.

The only appreciable difference between game ready UVs and other uses is in the economy of space and number of polygons. With game UVs you're more likely to overlap and mirror stuff than you would be with UVs intended for uses that have more generous resource requirements. For non-game models, you'll likely have more polygons to deal with, but all the basics stay the same.

Core i7 950@3.02GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator Ram@1600mHz | 2GB Geforce GTX 660

Lightwave | Blender | Marmoset | GIMP | Krita

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2023 at 7:36 PM

I'm trying to learn Blender but for all I can figure out I might as well be trying to fly a space shuttle as complicated as the interface is. I have "Blender for Dummies" and I don't know what version of Blender it's made for but the GUI is a lot different than the version I have on my PC. I do all my modeling in Wings 3D which does have some UV mapping capabilities, but they're a bit underpowered for my needs and the limited tutorials out there are hard to follow.

I'm slowly learning Ultimate Unwrap 3D and it's not very intuitive and it's..... clunky from what I can tell, with what seems to be a lot of extra button pressing and redundant commands. I'm just looking for some help in understanding the interface and how to make some things work, viewable and so forth. It's a process for sure

Here's the link to my freebies:   https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?uid=493127

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2023 at 9:57 PM
Forum Moderator

Darrin Lile Has an excellent Youtube tutorial channel with many Blender UV unwrapping tutorials that are all beginner friendly and using just the tools with in Blender another that I would also highly recommend is Ryan King Art  They both go over details that are beginner friendly and Ryan will get back to you if you need help and post questions in his comment sections. 

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Sun, 15 January 2023 at 9:56 AM

I'll have a look Lobo. Thank you. And thanks to everyone who took time to respond

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sun, 15 January 2023 at 3:27 PM
Forum Moderator
arrowhead42 posted at 9:56 AM Sun, 15 January 2023 - #4453961

I'll have a look Lobo. Thank you. And thanks to everyone who took time to respond

I do hope it helps and if we can be of further help just ask :thumbsup:

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

dewiclements ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2023 at 8:46 AM

There are a few different resources you can use to learn about using Ultimate Unwrap 3D for UV mapping: the official Ultimate Unwrap 3D website, Ultimate Unwrap 3D also has a YouTube channel, you can also try searching online for tutorials or articles on using Ultimate Unwrap 3D for UV mapping, there are some on various website and blogs.

sorrybro7800 ( ) posted Thu, 23 February 2023 at 2:07 AM

What are some cool aspects of the site that might not be immediately obvious to new users? Which of the default settings should be changed ASAP?

sorrybro7800 ( ) posted Mon, 27 February 2023 at 1:00 AM

I'm slowly learning Ultimate Unwrap 3D and it's not very intuitive and it's..... clunky from what I can tell, with what seems to be a lot of extra button pressing and redundant commands. I'm just looking for some help in understanding the interface and how to make some things work, viewable and so forth. It's a process for sure

momix

indigocard.xyz

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 27 February 2023 at 7:43 AM
Forum Moderator

sorrybro7800 posted at 1:00 AM Mon, 27 February 2023 - #4457052

momix

indigocard.xyz

I am not familiar with Ultimate Unwrap 3D  but it seems on their website they have numerous tutorials on how to use their software. I wish I could be more help but in the long sometimes you do not need all the bells and whistles of a software just the basic understand of what UV are and basic concept on how to create them I hope the link helps you with the software   https://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/tutorials.aspx

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Warlock279 ( ) posted Mon, 27 February 2023 at 2:18 PM
Lobo3433 posted at 7:43 AM Mon, 27 February 2023 - #4457078

sorrybro7800 posted at 1:00 AM Mon, 27 February 2023 - #4457052

momix

indigocard.xyz

I am not familiar with Ultimate Unwrap 3D  but it seems on their website they have numerous tutorials on how to use their software. I wish I could be more help but in the long sometimes you do not need all the bells and whistles of a software just the basic understand of what UV are and basic concept on how to create them I hope the link helps you with the software   https://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/tutorials.aspx

You're replying to a bot, it just copy-pasted part of ArrowHead's second post above and added a couple links, that probably shouldn't be clicked on. ;/

Core i7 950@3.02GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator Ram@1600mHz | 2GB Geforce GTX 660

Lightwave | Blender | Marmoset | GIMP | Krita

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 27 February 2023 at 10:25 PM
Forum Moderator

Thanks for the heads up Warlock279 I seemed to have missed the links one of those Mondays 

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.