Mon, Sep 30, 7:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 10:28 am)

Subject: Recommendation for a new user

MazinkaiserDX ( ) posted Sun, 16 April 2023 at 11:55 AM · edited Mon, 30 September 2024 at 7:25 AM

So, I've been following Poser since Bondware took over and they announced P12 but I never got it because I'm a Daz user and didn't have the "bandwidth", time and money-wise. Nowadays with the Genesis 9 release I'm not spending as much on Daz stuff and with P13 fresh out of the oven I was thinking of getting it, I doubt I will be switching anytime soon my main rendering app from Daz but I still like to mess around with all these apps plus show support.

The question is, considering the current state of P13 (I hear some talk of bugs, I think), would you recommend a new user to buy P12 and the P13 upgrade, or just go straight to P13? It's the same amount of money, afaik.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sun, 16 April 2023 at 11:58 AM

P13, straight. Bugs are present it both, but P13's render speed is a definite improvement, plus more content you get to play with and the PBR materials are great. You will find a ton of info on this specific forum on those as well.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Sun, 16 April 2023 at 12:53 PM
The price for P12 seems to have been reduced, so might as well get both as it'd cost the same. You could see the improvements from 12 to 13 that way.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sun, 16 April 2023 at 3:38 PM

I've shown some of my Poser13 renders to a friend who sells Genesis8 characters and knows quite well Poser since its version 5, he says that not only is Poser13, really faster, but the new Cycles engine makes a difference in terms of quality

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

ssgbryan ( ) posted Sun, 16 April 2023 at 7:06 PM

Not to mention being able to use multiple GPUs for Poser 13.

MazinkaiserDX ( ) posted Sun, 16 April 2023 at 8:57 PM

AmbientShade posted at 12:53 PM Sun, 16 April 2023 - #4462353

The price for P12 seems to have been reduced, so might as well get both as it'd cost the same. You could see the improvements from 12 to 13 that way.

Well, I don't really have the time to get them both just to check the differences myself, I was mostly concerned with how stable is P13 compared with P12 but apparently there isn't a need to worry.

Thank you all for your help

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sun, 16 April 2023 at 9:21 PM

P13 is more stable for me than 12 was. Material room crashes on occasion, that is it.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Mon, 17 April 2023 at 10:02 AM

If the cost is the same or very similar, get both. This way, you can do things like have both of them open at once, and work on one while rendering in the other. Plus, some features have been rebuilt in P13 (something long overdue) and may still be unstable, so you might like to have P12 to go to when that happens.

If it's pricier to get both, just go straight to P13. There are no backwards compatibility issues for any type of content or plugins so you wouldn't be really missing anything.

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

MazinkaiserDX ( ) posted Wed, 26 April 2023 at 9:31 PM

In the end I just got full P13, I didn't feel like juggling around with another app =P

So... I installed it and downloaded some of the content, mostly the LF, LH and I think some environments and props.

I just messed around a bit with it without going through any manual or tutorial about the interface, etc, loaded a LF figure and didn't seem like I could do much with her out of the box beyond posing her, at least I didn't see any morph. On one hand I didn't mind, as a Daz user I'm used to Genesis figure being like that out of the box too (though at least now they added several skins for free). On the other hand, you get Daz and the Genesis figures for free while the whole point of Poser's price is the content. Anyway, not 100% sure how I feel about that but eh, it is what it is.

So, wanted to ask what's the minimum stuff I should get from the store so I can start customizing the LF figure decently. Saw some "LF pro" stuff, I think it was called, but wasn't very clear if that added anything extra, or what exactly. (Maybe I didn't read properly, being in a hurry).

I don't mind getting some extra stuff, but for now I'm definitely not planning on starting a huge LF collection, so yeah, I mean the basic stuff like having the Daz and zev0s morphs for the genesis figures, and which vendors have a good variety and quality of textures. Maybe some clothes (I buy a bunch of Rhiannon stuff for Genesis and noticed they have also some LF stuff)

At the moment I'm very busy but I do want to tinker a bit more with Poser 13 soon-ish

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Thu, 27 April 2023 at 6:44 AM

LF Pro comes with non-PG detailing (nipples texture and camel toe shape down under), plus DEV rigs for clothing creators, plus some morphs. You get body morphs for LF with the Body Kit and Femme Fatale morph packs, but she never got much in the way of various face morphs, sadly.

Though at this point, if you're starting a new figure collection, you might wanna wait on the new figure they've promised to release soon.

- - - - - - 

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

DCArt ( ) posted Thu, 27 April 2023 at 3:41 PM

La Femme Pro does indeed come with a ton of face morphs. 

Promo image 4 shows them all. I think a couple of teeth fix morphs were added later as well.

La Femme Pro included face morphs

MazinkaiserDX ( ) posted Thu, 27 April 2023 at 4:07 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 6:44 AM Thu, 27 April 2023 - #4463531

Though at this point, if you're starting a new figure collection, you might wanna wait on the new figure they've promised to release soon.

I've read people saying that around here but, the P13 store page just says it will have continued support for LH and LF, which makes me think they plan on improving them?

I mean, since being able to use them in P13 pretty much was a given I don't see why else say that if it was just that.

If they do release a new figure I wonder how soon is "soon"...

Also, thank you both for the info

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Thu, 27 April 2023 at 7:12 PM
DCArt posted at 3:41 PM Thu, 27 April 2023 - #4463585

La Femme Pro does indeed come with a ton of face morphs. 

Oh dang, I forgot about those! You're right. I tend to custom-sculpt my morphs, so I forgot that Pro has all those. :)

- - - - - - 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.