Thu, Sep 19, 5:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / New Poser Users Help

Welcome to the New Poser Users Help Forum

Forum Moderators: Anim8dtoon, RedPhantom, Staff

New Poser Users Help F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 2:37 pm)

New to Poser? Ask questions here for expert help!

Subject: Saving Character(s) for Re-Use

JimX ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2023 at 6:01 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 5:25 PM

I have created a character, complete with morphs, textures, hair, clothing, and props. I would like to save this character for using again-- perhaps in a scene with several other such saved characters.

Where is the recommended place to save such characters, and how do I do it?

Many thanks for any pointers.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2023 at 6:19 PM
Site Admin

To save the whole set, make sure all the accessories (hair clothes etc) are parented or conformed to the figure. Then save it in your library under figures. You can then reload it for any scene you want. Here's an example of my characters for my story. Each one loads ready to pose and render.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

nerd ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2023 at 6:31 PM
Forum Moderator

I highly recommend creating a new runtime for all the stuff you create. You can mix it in with the included content but it will get messy. Just create a new folder on the most spacious hard drive you have then inside that folder create a folder named "runtime" From inside poser click the bookshelf icon with a (+) to add a new runtime. That will open a folder chooser window. Pick that runtime folder you just created.

Now you can add all the stuff you've customized to your own personal runtime.

JimX ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2023 at 9:50 PM

RedPhantom, that sent me in the right direction. I had to look up in the documentation to figure out how to save, but I got it to work.

Nerd, that idea of a separate runtime feels like a very good one. I did it.

Thanks to both of you, I'm making some progress.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2023 at 10:01 PM
Online Now!

You could export your character as a partial scene.  Using this feature also gives you the option to save the character, clothing, hair, etc.  I use this method on work-in-progress figures as I tweak and develop them to their final stage.  It saves me from overcrowding my runtimes.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2023 at 8:24 AM
Online Now!

I use hborre's method, for example, when I'd like to have some of my characters ready-to-use in some projects but not necessarily in others. For example when you have some sub-projects that use the same characters

And I use the specific runtime solution when I know that I may re-use the characters anywhere

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

JimX ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2023 at 1:33 PM

Thanks. I've been using hborre's method for works in progress, but I needed something for finished  characters. RePhantom and Nerd had the idea that worked for me in those cases.

Thanks to all of you!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.