Tue, Oct 22, 10:48 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 4:09 am)

Subject: Unable to launch Poser 13

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2023 at 6:54 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:46 AM

Poser 13 was working fine but then it locked up and I had to use the 'end task' option. Now Poser 13 will try and launch and I get the launch options screen but then Poser fails. I have tried restarting the machine and also deleting and reinstalling Poser 13 but there is no change. Poser 12 will launch as normal. HELP!

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2023 at 8:56 PM

So after many restarts and reinstalls I have now reached the point where I have uninstalled Poser 13 and any lingering information, downloaded and installed the latest version of Poser (13.0.339).  The install was placed on a drive other than the system drive and I checked to have any exiting preferences removed but Poser 13 still does not launch.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2023 at 10:33 PM · edited Thu, 18 May 2023 at 10:39 PM

Did you delete the info in the appdata directory before reinstalling?

There is another area in the program data area as well, that has registration info in it.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2023 at 10:56 PM · edited Thu, 18 May 2023 at 10:57 PM

shvrdavid posted at 10:33 PM Thu, 18 May 2023 - #4465755

Did you delete the info in the appdata directory before reinstalling?

There is another area in the program data area as well, that has registration info in it.

I removed the Poser 13 folder in programs and also the preferences folder in users roaming appdata if there was anything else I missed it but I was not given the option of using existing preferences in install so they were certainly gone.

In each case all that happens I get the Poser splash and then the launcher but ti just hangs,  Windows then suspends the process as it is not responding,  If I leave it or resume the process the Poser window just closes.  Poser 12 is fine.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2023 at 12:14 AM · edited Fri, 19 May 2023 at 12:15 AM

You could try deleting the info in C:\ProgramData\Poser\13. You will need to put in your serial info afterwards. Maybe that somehow got messed up.

You could copy it somewhere else as well, then try and restart Poser

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2023 at 4:47 AM

I did not even realize there was an update. Poser is set to check for updates on launch. It never sees any. Manually checking via the in program dialogue also maintains my software is up to date. Obviously I am not. My version number is 296 and has been since installation. Guess I wait till I see the outcome here before I download the latest patch. I am pretty sure I allowed Poser through my firewall when the installation occurred as my purchases old and new show up in the library but now I am nervous about the updates that my installation never sees.

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2023 at 5:26 AM

shvrdavid posted at 12:14 AM Fri, 19 May 2023 - #4465759

You could try deleting the info in C:\ProgramData\Poser\13. You will need to put in your serial info afterwards. Maybe that somehow got messed up.

You could copy it somewhere else as well, then try and restart Poser

Thank for the help, I tried that and as soon as I tried to launch Poser 13 it generated a message saying my 30 day trial was at an end.  As you suggested the next time around it asked for my registration information which it accepted so it looked promising but it was false hope, the problem was still there.  As I had tried a clean install and on different drives I came to the conclusion it may be a Windows problem and not a fault with Poser 13.   I keep and up to date clone of the system drive, yesterdays backup was too close to when it failed so I stepped back to the backup dated 17th May.

Not only is Poser 13 working again it has all my runtimes still linked and my render history.

Thanks again for your help it pointed me to where the real problem was.

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2023 at 5:28 AM
parkdalegardener posted at 4:47 AM Fri, 19 May 2023 - #4465769

I did not even realize there was an update. Poser is set to check for updates on launch. It never sees any. Manually checking via the in program dialogue also maintains my software is up to date. Obviously I am not. My version number is 296 and has been since installation. Guess I wait till I see the outcome here before I download the latest patch. I am pretty sure I allowed Poser through my firewall when the installation occurred as my purchases old and new show up in the library but now I am nervous about the updates that my installation never sees.

The update on start up was a problem with Poser 12 as well, I am not sure before that but I have long given up on trusting the 'check for update on start up' and tend to just check the download link every few weeks.

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2023 at 5:59 AM

I broke down and tried to update my install. I must say that it went quite fine. I hope. This leads me to ask; hornet could this update possible trigger something in your anti-virus similar to the last time? Not sure how you would check.

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2023 at 9:21 AM
parkdalegardener posted at 5:59 AM Fri, 19 May 2023 - #4465772

I broke down and tried to update my install. I must say that it went quite fine. I hope. This leads me to ask; hornet could this update possible trigger something in your anti-virus similar to the last time? Not sure how you would check.

I can be 100% sure that the update was not the cause of my problem as I only downloaded it after Poser had a problem with launching.  The only problem I have had with an update in the past was when I installed Poser on a different drive, the main program worked fine with the exception that it did not change where the Poser 13 content was and pointed to the wrong location.  With the help of Y-Phil on the forum I was able to change it so the Poser looked in the right place.  I can't remember ever having a problem with Poser not working after an update.

nerd ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2023 at 4:28 PM
Forum Moderator

Just for curiosity what antivirus / malwear / security / firewall thing do you use? I want to be sure there's not a real issue lurking here.

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2023 at 4:56 PM
nerd posted at 4:28 PM Fri, 19 May 2023 - #4465812

Just for curiosity what antivirus / malwear / security / firewall thing do you use? I want to be sure there's not a real issue lurking here.

I use F secure which was certainly an issue when Poser was first launched as it would delete sqlite_x64Release.dll as being a problem. Worse still, when you set it up to skip the .dll it world confirm it would be skipped but next scan it would delete it again. It was only a problem for a day or so and I have had not further issues with F Secure.

Glacis ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2023 at 4:39 AM

Installing the latest Poser update caused a Malware alarm in "Avira Security" the file " AppData\Local\Temp\is-6AQMK.tmp\Install Poser 13.0.339.tmp " was placed into Quarantine and blocked

hornet3d ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2023 at 2:35 PM

My system did not generate any warning and a manual scan found nothing harmful.

Glacis ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2023 at 2:53 PM
hornet3d posted at 2:35 PM Sat, 20 May 2023 - #4465891

My system did not generate any warning and a manual scan found nothing harmful.

Poser seems causing individual issues with different Antivirus Programs , Last time with F-secure  and today Avira security. But Rendo mentioned already there all false alarms so nothing to be worried about just needs to be Ignored. All easy it is normal that a antivirus makes errors and could remove sensitive system files on your computer "Duh" should of known.   

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2023 at 3:10 PM

I used to use the paid version of eset, but I gave up, relying on Win10's defender and on MalwareBytes. No false warnings with Poser till now

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2023 at 3:32 PM

I am perfectly fine with Avast. No warnings or false alarms.

hornet3d ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2023 at 5:56 PM

I fairness to F secure I have been using it for over five years and it was only with my purchase of Poser 13 did I have issues and that was soon rectified.  In addition it works in the background and does not seem to slow down my system which is not true of some better known antivirus programs.  

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.