Wed, Oct 2, 10:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Poser Version

acgreen ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2023 at 9:06 PM · edited Fri, 27 September 2024 at 3:37 PM

I'm thinking of returning to the Poser community and I last used 8, so I need to get a new version. Which is the suggested best version to use? Widest sets to work with, while still staying relevant and supported in the future.

Thoughts?

Rhia474 ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2023 at 9:48 PM

P13 is the latest version, supports both Superfly and Firefly rendering. The two methods diverged enough now that materials made for one don't work well for the other, but all versions since P11 have both. If you like PBR rendering, go for P13. If it does not matter to you, anything from P2014 up may work, except many figures that use more advanced materials and rigging may not work.

It will, also, of course, depend on what type of art you're creating.

I personally still use a lot of old content, just rework materials, it's worth my time since a lot of content built up through the years. If the model is solidly built and has good material zones, assigning new mats or converting it to physical based is possible, it only takes time and/or the right scripts.

What is also important is that there have been at least 2 Python versions since Poser 8, so scripts that worked in Poser 8 bought third party will not work on anything later than P2014. 

(that was the dollar answer, hope it helps a bit)

infinity10 ( ) posted Tue, 30 May 2023 at 10:20 PM
Online Now!

I would go for the latest version in order to produce content and images that are more modern in look (rendering, shaders, camera, HDRI lighting, etc)

Eternal Hobbyist

FVerbaas ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2023 at 5:15 AM · edited Wed, 31 May 2023 at 5:16 AM
Forum Coordinator

If you have an RTX type graphics card, P13 gives you very fast PBR rendering and obviously is the version that is most 'future proof'.

The Smith Micro license servers are no longer running. Bondware servers support Poser11 and up. Installing any version older than  Poser 11 may be difficult.

Poser 11 was the last version supporting the now obsolete Python 2. Old scripts may not work as they are. Sometimes this can be solved by some simple edits. Poser 12 and 13 use Python3. New scripts may not work in Poser 11.

acgreen ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2023 at 11:22 PM · edited Wed, 31 May 2023 at 11:22 PM

Seems the best option is to bite the bullet, buy 13 and discard all my old stuff and start over

Thank for the answers and help

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2023 at 2:08 AM

acgreen posted at 11:22 PM Wed, 31 May 2023 - #4466853

Seems the best option is to bite the bullet, buy 13 and discard all my old stuff and start over

Thank for the answers and help

The old stuff may still be used, its material only need to be adapted, example with Terai Yuki 2

subKrhLzzslJwzlpeHhvuiCpG63bdmLQFRVdo8W0.jpg

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

hornet3d ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2023 at 6:01 AM

I would agree that the old stuff can certainly be used in Poser 13.   I purchased Ironstar shown here in back in 2011 

Gnxvqq9KX9UB6P5r5b0i6nHx7mhrRSNhv0OlZR2V.jpg

This was much later, purchased in 2019 

TfxRw7tT3RT09am8pEDAQSWHNMY1o6Ntq1QjVq2k.jpg

There was a lot of work to do on this one, none of it complex there was just so much of it.  In this case I did use the Go-Physical script from Ken1171_Designs, it is marked to P12 but works in Poser 13 and allows the use of the Physical Surface in multiple materials with just the click of a mouse.  It can give materials a metallic look in the same manner.  The Physical Surface replaces the Poser Surface if you are using Superbly as it is just easier to use in many cases.  Go Physical is a great script that saves masses of time but you can do all that it does manually, but a good buy if you are looking to use a lot of old content.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2023 at 7:25 AM

Don't discard anything, seriously. I have things from 2009 I still use, it just needs retexturing, as the above examples demonstrate.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2023 at 11:57 AM
Site Admin

I agree with the others, save your old content. Most is usable without much work to tweak it.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

FVerbaas ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2023 at 12:36 PM
Forum Coordinator

To give old content a new life in P12/13: check out Snarly's Poser scripts, in particular EZSkin.

https://cobrablade.net/snarlygribbly/poser.html

Rhia474 ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2023 at 1:27 PM

EZSkin and GoPhysical are two scripts in P13 I cannot be without.

acgreen ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2023 at 10:58 PM

Thanks, I will dig out my old files.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Fri, 02 June 2023 at 1:25 PM · edited Fri, 02 June 2023 at 1:31 PM

Love the images you created with Poser 8! Your art is beautiful and your style is really outstanding!! I've never seen anything like it! You are very talented with Poser. I don't think your amazing artistic talent has anything to do with the version number you are using 😄

There's a 21-day "try before you buy" deal on the latest versions of Poser, to help you decide for yourself.

Try the latest version, the installer is only 400 Mb in size: https://www.posersoftware.com/downloads

Looking forward to see more of your artwork 😍

acgreen ( ) posted Fri, 02 June 2023 at 5:21 PM

Thank you very much. I take my influence from Larry Elmore.  That man makes amazing work.  I was lucky enough to meet him once and get two signed prints and even watch him sketch a request for another person.  A truly gifted artist.

A lot of the backdrop photos are ones I took myself that I use to fill in the spaces between the background items.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.