Wed, Oct 2, 4:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Use EDGE CREASING for precise hard body modeling! by Christopher 3D

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Sun, 06 August 2023 at 7:45 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 4:03 PM
Forum Moderator

Saw this and saw a few things discussed that I am sure will our group 

Use EDGE CREASING for precise hard body modeling! by Christopher 3D

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

Warlock279 ( ) posted Mon, 07 August 2023 at 10:08 AM

Ehhh ... not a fan.

I just skimmed thru it, but it looks like most of the creasing/weighting could have easily been sorted by an extra loop, and that would make the mesh universal to all software. Using creasing/edge weighting you're left with a mesh that's software specific [possibly even version specific], and you've only saved maybe a couple hundred polygons, if that? I'm sure there are situations where it has its merits, but I'd rather see proper edge flow without the crutch.

Core i7 950@3.02GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator Ram@1600mHz | 2GB Geforce GTX 660

Lightwave | Blender | Marmoset | GIMP | Krita

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 07 August 2023 at 10:22 AM
Forum Moderator
Warlock279 posted at 10:08 AM Mon, 7 August 2023 - #4472090

Ehhh ... not a fan.

I just skimmed thru it, but it looks like most of the creasing/weighting could have easily been sorted by an extra loop, and that would make the mesh universal to all software. Using creasing/edge weighting you're left with a mesh that's software specific [possibly even version specific], and you've only saved maybe a couple hundred polygons, if that? I'm sure there are situations where it has its merits, but I'd rather see proper edge flow without the crutch.

Fully understand your points and yes if going to use in other software extra loops would be prefered but if staying with in Blender for render and such just another method to accomplish the same as extra loops 

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

LuxXeon ( ) posted Wed, 30 August 2023 at 5:14 PM
Warlock279 posted at 10:08 AM Mon, 7 August 2023 - #4472090

Ehhh ... not a fan.

I agree.  I have always been a fan of adding support loops, especially if the model is going to be redistributed or created for use in other applications.  However, I appreciate having the ability to harden edges (and crease / sharpen vertices) for local work inside Blender.  Specifically for use in animation rendering, where everything is going to be rendered inside Blender.  It can sometimes prove useful in those situations.

My Store
My Free Models
My Video Tutorials
My CG Animations
Instagram: @luxxeon3d
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/luxxeon

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.