Wed, Sep 18, 6:55 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:30 pm)

Subject: Is "Blue Screen" Effect Possible with Poser 12

GaryChildress ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2023 at 7:53 PM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 2:24 AM

I would like to create a stlll frame of a poser figure against a prefectly homogenous background color. the background should include shadows on the ground and the figure in its actual colors, however, the entire background except for the figure and shadows should all be one homogenous color. I'd like to do this so that I can create a "blue screen" effect where I can use photoshop to remove the background, except for shadow and be able to place the figure inside any other picture I want. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you.

Please visit My 3D Freebies

Thank you for your patronage!

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2023 at 8:27 PM · edited Thu, 14 September 2023 at 8:30 PM

The best way in P12 that I can figure is to make your Construct a Shadow Catcher and set your render settings to render with a transparent background.  Export the render in PNG format and open it in Photoshop or any 3rd party graphics program.

Edit: I forgot to ask, Firefly or Superfly?

HartyBart ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2023 at 3:20 AM · edited Sat, 16 September 2023 at 3:22 AM

In Poser you can output a masked (aka 'cutout') PNG which has 'invisible' pixels for the background. it's then just a question of dropping these over a backdrop in a layered Photoshop file. As of Poser 12, "SuperFly now does background transparency" and also "shadow catching".

If you are making quick Preview renders (e.g. for a comic) then have the Shadow Map size on lights up to at least 1024 (default is 512), if not 2048.  This will improve shadow quality. Regrettably it seems there's no way for a Python script to tweak these dials up with a single click. There's no hook that a script can hang onto to change "Preview Shadow Maps Size" in Poser. They have to be increased by hand. I assume that's still the case in Poser 13.

There is however a Poser script, “Change Shadow Intensity of Selected Lights”, if they are too black. There are also "Scene shadow blurring scripts for Poser", which in one click has the lights use softer ray-traced shadows, rather than the default depth-map shadows. Check out the Poser-made comics of Brian Haberlin (Sonata etc) to see how he handles shadows from Poser figures.

There's also a "render each figure/prop separately" script than can be made to work in Poser 11 and probably 12 and 13. Theoretically you could then select / fill the rendered figure shape with black, skew and distort and blur it in Photoshop, and call it 'the shadow'. I think there are also several 'long shadow' actions in Photoshop that do something similar, having a PNG cutout cast a long shadow of the cutout's shape. The advantage here is that these can be somewhat adjustable in its placement behind the character. I think that Richard Rosenman has a free one, but I could be wrong. It might be paid.

Greenscreen would though be needed to make a 2D 'fish in a bottle' Photoshop layer set made of three renders. The front and back of the bottle, and the fish (or whatever you want... octopus, pickled gnome) in the middle. In which case you slide a bright green square into the centre of the bottle, and use Primatte in Photoshop to remove the greenscreen. You'd do this if you wanted to make a kit showing commonly repeating jars and bottles, and you didn't want to have to render each and every one.

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

GaryChildress ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2023 at 12:04 PM

Wow! I feel like there should be an easier more straightforward way to do that. Basically, I'd like to create a large collection of graphics that can be manipulated like this for a game I enjoy playing and modding. It doesn't seem like Poser lends itself very well to the sort of task I want from it. Yikes!

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2023 at 2:46 PM · edited Sat, 16 September 2023 at 2:56 PM
Online Now!

Why would Render with Transparent Background not work for what you need?

I don't know a simpler way to do it--check 'visible in Camera' for any background props, catchers etc., tick the Transparent Background' setting, render. Open resulting PNG in PS or wherever you are editing. GYWFK9cIxiN0SpKfgHTpyaXiULbXQ448kGHATEPe.png

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2023 at 3:53 PM
When you want to preserve the shadows in the rendered image, that will work.  However, the OP has not mentioned which Poser version or render engine is being used for the project.  It's difficult to provide an exact solution when you don't have all the information at hand.  And I wouldn't know what HartyBart is suggesting because he has entirely blocked me from viewing his comments.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2023 at 11:06 PM · edited Sat, 16 September 2023 at 11:07 PM
Online Now!

@Gary - are you trying to set up a volumetric capture studio... a scene that will create a bullet time effect like in the Matrix movie?

Wow, that's such a great idea, thank you so much! Now I have to try this lol ... and YES!!! of course you can use Poser for this.

edMbY0CyovZXDatlvEoj5yEwNF19dO3tT8l5whhe.gif

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Sat, 16 September 2023 at 11:25 PM · edited Sat, 16 September 2023 at 11:27 PM
Online Now!

I think we can skip the whole blue screen effect if you use one of those HDRI dome thingies as a background and set the camera to travel around your character.

GaryChildress ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 11:16 AM
hborre posted at 3:53 PM Sat, 16 September 2023 - #4474681
When you want to preserve the shadows in the rendered image, that will work.  However, the OP has not mentioned which Poser version or render engine is being used for the project.  It's difficult to provide an exact solution when you don't have all the information at hand.  And I wouldn't know what HartyBart is suggesting because he has entirely blocked me from viewing his comments.
Sorry, using Poser 12, usually with Firefly rendering. Yes, I can use the transparent background but I'd like for there to be shadows present as though there is a background that the figure is standing on. That way I can paste appropriate shadows and all when I paste the figures rendered onto any scene I want.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 12:41 PM

In order to retain shadows, you may need to convert the construct to a shadow-catcher.  You will find that feature on the PoserSurface node or use the Material Room Wacro to activate the feature.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.