Sun, Oct 6, 3:05 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Exasperatingly slow...

Y-Phil ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2023 at 9:02 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 8:54 AM

Hi

I'm not new to the internet, I've even started to browse on BBS largely before, so...  when a huge website such as Rendo needs up to one minute to respond, I can't understand. And often this isn't just one shot.
And this does not seem to depend on the hour of the day or of the night, because this could have been because of a question of bad luck, such as a huge update running, and with Database replication, this shouldn't be because of running backups.

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Mac Mini M2, Sonoma 14.6.1, 16GB, 500GB SSD
👿 Nas 10TB
👿 Poser 13 and soon 14 ❤️

CHMedia ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2023 at 10:19 AM

I have submitted your concerns to our development team. Thank you for reaching out.

lauraguo ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2023 at 10:35 AM · edited Fri, 01 September 2023 at 10:35 AM

Hi, thanks for reaching out.

If you can provide some extra info, that could help us:

1. What pages has this happened on? Specific pages, pages you've noticed in general

2. How long do these slow periods last? For example, is it continually slow, slow for a few minutes and then normal, etc.

3. How long has this been going on for? Ex. weeks, months

We have certain potential causes in our issue tracker, but asking you those questions above to make sure we're thinking of the same issue.

Additionally, if you prefer a support ticket, you can do so here: https://support.renderosity.com/We can track those more easily than forum posts.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2023 at 11:36 AM · edited Fri, 01 September 2023 at 11:37 AM

Thank you for your help.

When it happens, this lasts for a moment, It's difficult to be more precise as when this is the case, I leave the site and return back later. It does not happen on a specific thread: sometime one with very few posts will take forever to be displayed whereas one huge such as "Poser Official > Antonia" will arrive very fast.
My dev point of view suggests an overload somewhere that creates a bottleneck. The random side of these problems makes it difficult to identify the source of the problem.

If I'm alone to see this effect, there may be a random problem between your web server and my destination (Switzerland). In this case, you won't be able to do anything...
This does not happen every day, even though each morning (around 8am in Switzerland = GMT+2 with DST) I check Poser's forums + 5 to 6 in this category, such as this one.

Oh and now, it's responsive... IXR8d5qfzFoSBTZaUROxsieeScWkTu2Tuh3TZbtq.gif

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Win11 on i9-13900K@5GHz, 64GB, RoG Strix B760F Gamng, Asus Tuf Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 1 TB SSD, 6+4+8TB HD
👿 Nas 10TB

lauraguo ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2023 at 12:21 PM

Happy to help and ty for the details :) 

8 AM is about 1 AM server time (Chicago/CT). There are a lot of batch scripts running around 12 AM (ex. start/end sales), so that's what you may be experiencing at that time. I believe others have experienced this occasionally, but you'd probably run into it a lot more than those in the US just based on the time zone. 

We do have timeout errors in our issue tracker, I'll see if there's any way to prioritize those.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Fri, 01 September 2023 at 1:05 PM

Ah, interesting. next time, I'll think to check 1 or 2 hours later tmCIiYtBcGNVAlRjehYQAF9d8RlB8lCBrTcO19K8.gif

𝒫𝒽𝓎𝓁

(っ◔◡◔)っ

👿 Nas 10TB

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2023 at 1:41 AM
Online Now!

7:30am  UK Summer Time - first page slow to load. Then try forums -  ... give up, return about 10am and things are back to normal.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 6:36 AM

6:30am Renderosity time - 10 seconds to access any page... Unacceptable.

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 6:49 AM
Site Admin

Have you tried using scrying stones...? lit some candles...? upgraded your Commodore 64...?  As far as I know, the internet is 95% magic spells and run by a group of wizards in an underground cave.

I'll let the dev wizards know about the problem.

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 11:48 AM · edited Mon, 18 September 2023 at 11:51 AM

LOL @Wolf - Perhaps the hamsters inside the server's wheel need replacement or I don't know... they don't all run in the same direction, or they're getting distracted by something.

I could run GTmetrix next time this happens, and post the results so the devwiz has something to work with. Most of the times I'm okay with 4.5s per page to load, I got used to it lol

Thank you for everything you do!

mazSNPuKOAyE3GsNbMb9MuJng3p7DwCc1HHNaEnD.gif

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 12:28 PM

https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.renderosity.com/XxRRzv7J/

This is the test on normal loading times, like now. I've seen a "D" rating a couple of times.

Giana ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 1:52 PM

10 seconds is moving pretty fast - i'd be pretty happy with that if i could get it...

for me today, well, let's just say the early 2000s are calling, wanting their dial-up speed back...

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 3:56 PM

Giana, I'm talking about the page response time... website being unresponsive up to the point where it times out.

We are talking about the time it takes to place the hamsters inside the wheel and ask them nicely to start running... or else we're bringing in the cat LOL!

I'm trying to be part of the solution here, nobody wants to be part of the problem... I'm pretty sure.

If you can make it so the page is accessible right away but the images on the page load slower, I think that's acceptable.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 4:14 PM · edited Mon, 18 September 2023 at 4:17 PM

Remember that one time, it was over two decades ago, when one the Admins put up an announcement asking if we can donate new or used hard drives? 😄

You'd be surprised how many people were willing to help just because they didn't want to see their favorite site being down. They had bad sectors on the hard drive that contained all the gallery thumbnails, there wasn't a store back then but it was in the making... and they had no money to fix it, so they asked for our help.

Giana ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 4:23 PM

i'm aware you're talking about page response times.  my response was directly taken from you saying 10 seconds to load a page is unacceptable at 6:30am. thanks.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 4:29 PM · edited Mon, 18 September 2023 at 4:31 PM

LOL "unacceptable" is unacceptable at the end of any sentence... it makes the problem look much worse than it actually is.

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 5:04 PM

https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.renderosity.com/3EsprO61/

I see a "C" ... that's a huge improvement!!  Thank you so much! Keep up the fantastic work!

I retire from this thread. Have a fantastic day!

lauraguo ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 5:05 PM

Thank you all for the feedback, we hear ya :)

The page loads are definitely slower than we'd like (with variance throughout the day and for certain pages). The site upgrades this year and the previous year have helped in a lot of ways (the Rewards page took what felt like a minute to load, previously!), but there's definitely more to do.

Rest assured, we're aware of the issue and it's all on the to do list. 

lauraguo ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 5:06 PM · edited Mon, 18 September 2023 at 5:07 PM

TwiztidKidd posted at 5:04 PM Mon, 18 September 2023 - #4474793

https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.renderosity.com/3EsprO61/

I see a "C" ... that's a huge improvement!!  Thank you so much! Keep up the fantastic work!

I retire from this thread. Have a fantastic day!

I would love to take credit for this but that is probably just the "variance through the day" I was talking about :P That's a nifty site to evaluate performance, though!

TwiztidKidd ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 5:20 PM · edited Mon, 18 September 2023 at 5:20 PM

Nifty as in the actual performance is waaay lower than the one displayed by them? ... only kidding...

Thank you!

shvrdavid ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2023 at 9:04 PM

Oddly, this is pretty much my normal experience at Rendo. It is usually slow as a snail. I used to have 10 gig a second internet, and sometimes it took 20 seconds to load. 

I ran a report as well.. https://gtmetrix.com/reports/renderosity.com/EuqcFyiQ/

Over the years I discussed this with Jenn more than a few times. 

If you look at the waterfall reports, most of it is internal to a specific servers, with huge latency between things.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that as soon as anything is called from server 18-65-229-113 and/or 44-197-10-108 it sometimes falls flat on its face. 44..... probably being latency routing, and 18...... being a swamped server.....

Whatever is wrong with the setup has been that way for a long time, and scripts running on an server wont slow it down enough to notice.

I have no clue how your buckets, latency routing, etc, are set up. So there is not much else to see from the outside, other than where the problem actually is.....

It is obvious from the reports that others have shown me that this is not something specific to the servers thou. It is a provider issue..

Makes you want to go back to good old Nginx and host your own servers, doesn't it......

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

lauraguo ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2023 at 9:53 AM

ebasham fixed an issue that was making the site slower for the past day or so. Not sure exactly when it started, but it was very noticeable this morning.

Site should be back to normal now. Of course, we still have other long-term performance improvements to make. But should be better now than the past day or so. :)

shvrdavid ( ) posted Wed, 20 September 2023 at 1:47 PM

Ironically, it is slightly slower than before for me. https://gtmetrix.com/reports/renderosity.com/6kb6Vn9q/

But it is far better than it used to be.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Thu, 21 September 2023 at 1:47 AM
Online Now!

Several long delays this morning between clicking and seeing.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.