Fri, Jul 12, 4:13 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 05 7:11 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Avoiding name confusion

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 26 August 2023 at 9:03 PM · edited Fri, 12 July 2024 at 2:24 AM
Site Admin

I have a character who was named after her grandmother. Halfway through the story, the grandmother suddenly shows up. Neither goes by their full name. One is Lanni. The other is Lonna. I'm concerned the names are too close and will be confusing. Any suggestions besides a different nickname based on their full name? That's not going to be doable.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

3WCreations ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2023 at 9:20 AM

Could call the grandmother "Granny" or something similar.

Everything important in life I've learned from somebody else's forum signature.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2023 at 10:41 AM
Site Admin

I had thought of that, but I don't know if that would work for her sister or the people they're traveling with that Granny just met or the one who knew her in the past and has reason to hate her.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Wolfenshire ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2023 at 12:11 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Grandma Lan Lan and Grandma Lonna

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2023 at 9:24 AM · edited Fri, 15 September 2023 at 9:26 AM

Probably far too late, but a mixture of things might work. The two girls might refer to their grandmother as Nan or something similar, and the grandmother may still use her pet names for the girls. The people they've just met probably won't want to call them Lanni and Lonna because they're so similar and may use Lanni and Grandma Lon (or Lonna and Grandma Lan if it's that way round) to avoid confusion. The person from Grandma's past might have a spiteful, derogatory name for her which he/she would delight in using.

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and CGBytes flavours.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 15 September 2023 at 10:35 AM
Site Admin

Not too late. Still working on it. Calling Lonna Lon might work. The group is notorious for shortening people's names. Thanks

MKDAWUSS ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2023 at 9:24 AM

I guess the granddaughter could be called "Little (Name)". It's kinda how it went with my mom and grandmom, who shared the same name.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2023 at 4:09 PM
Site Admin

My uncle and my cousin did similar until my cousin was taller than my uncle. Then it was young and old. But the granddaughter is very short and sensitive about it. Young and old are questionable because they're both immortal and over a thousand years old.

Byrdie ( ) posted Fri, 20 October 2023 at 10:15 AM

Speaking as someone who shared a name with both my grandmother and a great aunt from a different side of the family, I know all too well how confusing this can be. We solved it by using my middle name, which nobody else in the family had. Perhaps that might work, especially as it has no associations with elder/younger, junior/senior, big/little, etc. that might not quite apply or cause the named-for character to be extra sensitive about any tags or diminutives.  

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.