Thu, Oct 3, 12:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Python Scripting

Welcome to the Poser Python Scripting Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Python Scripting F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 2:50 am)

We now have a ProPack Section in the Poser FreeStuff.
Check out the new Poser Python Wish List thread. If you have an idea for a script, jot it down and maybe someone can write it. If you're looking to write a script, check out this thread for useful suggestions.

Also, check out the official Python site for interpreters, sample code, applications, cool links and debuggers. This is THE central site for Python.

You can now attach text files to your posts to pass around scripts. Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif. Since the forum will use a random name for the file in the link, you should give instructions on what the file name should be and where to install it. Its a good idea to usually put that info right in the script file as well.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: WorldToScreen() - unclear about what it returns.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Sat, 23 December 2023 at 8:22 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 12:27 PM

From the WorldToScreen() scene method description on page 85 of the Poser 11 Poser Python Methods Manual it "Takes a set of (x, y, z) world coordinates (the location of a point within the 3D scene) and returns (x, y, z) screen coordinates (the location of that point relative to the screen)."

It's not clear to me what this method actually returns as "screen coordinates" are explicitly 2-dimensional (x, y) not 3-dimensional (x, y, z).

So is it

(a) just a transformation from world space to camera space, returning a true set of 3D coordinates.

(b) a calculation of the 2-dimensional x,y screen position plus the "Z-depth" 

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.
And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

shvrdavid ( ) posted Mon, 25 December 2023 at 8:54 PM

In most programs it returns x and y only. And in an OpenGl program it may possibly return it in -1 to 1 range format on both axes. 

I have never really needed it in Poser thou.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

FVerbaas ( ) posted Tue, 26 December 2023 at 5:11 PM · edited Tue, 26 December 2023 at 5:13 PM
Forum Coordinator

The 3rd element in the tupel returned is some sort of inverse z-depth, positive when input (xyz) is before the camera, negative when aft of the camera.  Very close to zero when far away, larger, I have seen values close to 1000, when very near to the camera.   

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Thu, 28 December 2023 at 10:39 AM

Thanks. I was hoping it was going to be a simple world to camera space transformation.

No matter, maybe a different approach - try to do the transformation longhand in the material room... LOL !

And it usually uses Poser 11, with units set to inches. Except when it's using Poser 6 or PP2014, or when its units are set to PNU.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and HiveWire3D flavours (the DeviantArt and CGBytes flavour have been discontinued).

FVerbaas ( ) posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 4:35 AM · edited Sat, 30 December 2023 at 4:38 AM
Forum Coordinator

Well, it IS a world to camera space. Just the z is scaled different from x and y. Plotted it will look like a height map. You may need to ban negative input and use log(z) for practical applications though.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Sun, 31 December 2023 at 3:03 AM · edited Sun, 31 December 2023 at 3:05 AM

I just nailed together a crappy bit of python to print the world space coordinates and the result of the WorldToSpace() conversion. Here's what it outputs when I have a 1PNU vertical square centred at the origin and view it via the dollycam which is positioned on the positivbe Z axis looking at the origin

CjduDNUTrumOG7VWMi9ctUR4ve9xhXMGk8TuOWcO.JPG

So it's definitely not camera space in the way I was thinking of camera space.

Here's the 'code' (peril sensitive sunglasses recommended for viewing). I've totally given up trying to post correctly formatted code on Renderosity forums, so this is just a cut-and-paste from Notepad++

import poser,random

# I put my scripts into a class simply to avoid possible conflict with stuff in the __main__ module.

class cheapskatesTemporaryClass(object):

def main(self):

# Get Poser version for doing version-specific stuff

poserversion = '0'

posermainversion = '0'

try:

self.poserversion = poser.AppVersion()

temp = self.poserversion.split('.')

self.posermainversion = temp[0]

except:

pass

poser.DialogSimple.MessageBox("1")

scn = poser.Scene()

curact = scn.CurrentActor()

curgeom = curact.Geometry()

vcnt = curgeom.NumVertices()

wvlist = curgeom.WorldVertices()

poser.DialogSimple.MessageBox("vcnt = "+str(vcnt))

i=0

triplet=[0.0,0.0,0.0]

curcam = scn.CurrentCamera()

trp=[0.0,0.0,0.0]

trp = curcam.WorldDisplacement()

print '\nCamera position ('+str(trp[0])+', '+str(trp[1])+', '+str(trp[2])+')'

while i < vcnt:

poser.DialogSimple.MessageBox("Vertex"+str(i))

dbg ='Vertex ' + str(i) + ' World ('

curv = curgeom.WorldVertex(i)

dbg = dbg + str(curv.X()) +', '+str(curv.Y())+', '+str(curv.Z())+');'

triplet = scn.WorldToScreen(curv.X(),curv.Y(),curv.Z())

dbg = dbg + ' Screen (' +str(triplet[0]) +', '+str(triplet[1])+', '+str(triplet[2])+');'

print dbg

i = i + 1

# Inform the user that it's all done

poser.DialogSimple.MessageBox("All done")

poser.DialogSimple.MessageBox("Running 3DCheapskates XXX.py script\n\n(N.B. You should see a similar message when the script finishes. If you don't then the script has crashed!)")

cheapskatesTemporaryInstance = cheapskatesTemporaryClass()

cheapskatesTemporaryInstance.main()

poser.DialogSimple.MessageBox("3DCheapskates XXX.py script all done.")

FVerbaas ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 12:03 PM
Forum Coordinator

Why is it not a representation of camera space?

You are using 4 points effectively located on the X0Y plane and a camera looking down the Z axis. 

Let's call the three elements in the tuple returned by the method as u, v, w.

The range you get for the u coordinates is: 630-116 = 514 for the camera position z = 2. Using the same methodology for the other example positions you find 258  for z=4 and 128 for z=8. Note the figures halve when distance doubles.

If you re-do the math for the v coordinates in the first example you find a v-range of 672-158 = 514. For the other camera positions you will also find the same ranges as you found for the u-coordinate.  You thus have the 4 points arranged in a square. 

If you look at the averages, you will find that the avarages of the ranges, representing the center of the square is consistently located at u = 373, v = 415. You do not report the film (image) surface when you did the test, could it be it was sized 746x 830 pixels?

Then for the w=output: The same scaling effect is used there: a point located twice the distance gives half the signal strength. Obviously any input very close to the camera xyz would be division by zero, return an infinite number, so something will be/should have been caught and buffered there. To get a physical meaning you can scale based on some test points, simple Pythagoras.

I must have a matrix based method laying around somewhere. Let me know if you are interested.      

FVerbaas ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 12:17 PM
Forum Coordinator
Correction:  

Forget that last line for now. I just looked and it was not where I suspected it was. If I still have it it is dug somewhere very very deep.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 12:35 PM
Forum Coordinator

Correction 2: The width of your screen was probably 746 pixels. Poser just uses the width. Cannot say about height.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2024 at 12:18 AM
FVerbaas posted at 12:03 PM Mon, 1 January 2024 - #4479844

Why is it not a representation of camera space?

It's certainly a representation of camera space, but please note that the original question was this:

So is it

(a) just a transformation from world space to camera space, returning a true set of 3D coordinates.

(b) a calculation of the 2-dimensional x,y screen position plus the "Z-depth" 

And my comment after testing with my laughable script was "So it's definitely not camera space in the way I was thinking of camera space." since the x, y, z returned by WorldToSpace() is obviously (b), not (a) -which is what I'd expect goven the method's name.

WorldToSpace() doesn't return what I referred to, rather imprecisely, as "a true set of 3D coordinates" because it doesn't identify a single point in 3D space . You need 3 additional parameters for that - field of view, render height, and render width.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.