Mon, Jul 8, 12:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 08 12:05 pm)

Subject: Laptop crash, lost it all

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2024 at 6:58 AM · edited Sun, 07 July 2024 at 1:18 PM

I had everything in my runtime backed up, as well as my registration key, but I lost the software. Where can I download Poser 11 again?

Thanks

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2024 at 7:09 AM

It's OK, I got it.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2024 at 10:47 AM

Yep - backups are your best friend. Almost 25 years' worth of stuff, and you bet your sweet {insert beast of burden here} that I have multiple backups, all of which run by Task Scheduler and/or cronjob - to external drives, and to external servers (I have an Intel NUC on my home network, rigged with a couple of very fat USB3 hard drives that pulls backups from critical network shared folders on our devices every night - the NUC and drives are in a ventilated box. In an emergency, I can grab the box and go, and have all my stuff. The time delay is in case someone's laptop gets compromised by malware, then I can disconnect the NUC and keep the data safe.)

Yep - after a couple of very close calls over the years, I'm kinda paranoid about that sort of thing.

dreamcutter ( ) posted Mon, 12 February 2024 at 7:55 AM

On the topic of backups...
Something compelling I recently discovered as a cloud backup alternative is a DIY home UNRAID server.  For daily backups, many are not finding Cloud backup providers being very reliable (many have shut down due to failed business models) and affordable.  I have found that an  obsolete PC from a decade ago will serve fine as a fault tolerant home backup server running UNRAID, a very simple to use system that can host data volumes of stripe & parity disks of differing sizes/types.  Normally a fault tolerant raid system requires a set of matched hard drives to make a Redundant Array of Independent Disk drives (RAID) data storage system for a server.  UNRAID tosses those expensive and complex requirements by the wayside and provides a very stable platform to host a backup service, VPC instances and many other APP servers.  That means you can take advantage of huge de-commissioned (used) data center hard drives  in the 10TB+ range very affordably (EBAY/NewEgg/ Amazon) ,  used these drives sell for approx. 20% of new, and the data protection and drive fail over  and restoration capability dramatically reduces the risk of data loss in the event one of the used drives fails.  Data centers typically upgrade hard drives inside of 2 years, well within the estimated MTBF (Millions of Hrs), and they operate 24x7 so most have hope users have decent experiences using the devices in a RAID.  Do know that a TB drive takes many hours to initialize.  A 50TB array on a LSI controller will take about 8-10 days depending on the drives.  Also cost in the factor of electricity,  An awake and operating 450watt PC running 24x7 can cost as much as $400/a year depending on the cost of electricity, so a backup system that "sleeps" most of the time is desirable to keep costs down. 

Y-Phil ( ) posted Mon, 12 February 2024 at 1:43 PM

In my case, as I'm running Windows, I connect pocket drive at the moment of the backup, I launch a batch that uses Robocopy, an insanely robust command-line tool provided by Microsoft (it exists since Windows NT3.5 at least) to make a real hierarchical copy of my Poser stuff, and when it's done: I disconnect the pocket drive and put it in a safe place.
They're changed every 2-3 years, independently of their current state.

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 12 February 2024 at 2:09 PM

I have been using external hard drives for several years. I know they are not very reliable, but I find that if you don't over load them, they are fairly stable.

I will be looking for other options later on.

I am still finding software that I have to reinstall every now and then. I am almost all the way back from before the crash.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.