Sat, Aug 3, 11:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 7:14 am)

Subject: v4 hologram

mr_red ( ) posted Thu, 15 February 2024 at 10:27 AM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 5:27 AM

does anybody have an idea how i can make one of my v4 characters into a hologram?  I use poser 11 pro. I have tried making all the body parts see through but that has weird problems with the head parts. so now I'm at a loss. 

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 15 February 2024 at 11:02 AM

Firefly or Superfly?

mr_red ( ) posted Thu, 15 February 2024 at 12:18 PM

Firefly

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 15 February 2024 at 1:44 PM · edited Thu, 15 February 2024 at 1:48 PM

In case that could interest you: that's a very simple setup I used at the time of Poser10, and it seems to work with Poser13, firefly and superfly. This lies in a closed room, no lights

1TrAWKa0xKdK8KJ7tiMOPRf4eSWZS35RZtnjPiVn.png

firefly:

BMmC9GTRiSnOeG1q7KpX7qOrYjNJxu8rNjmXWAwq.png

and it works on superfly as well:

1GMXI9Dvdoaz5eJlQN5CPqxOtnSiiSTClMfd7jxF.png

I don't remember exactly how I stumbled upon this setup, I just remember that I got inspired by the creation of an online-friend that was using C4D for a similar effect. I should revisit this setup, I'm pretty sure that it can be enhanced.

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

bwldrd ( ) posted Thu, 15 February 2024 at 2:07 PM

You can also check out this thread for ideas.  Ghost Script

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider me insane if you wish, but is your reality any better?

mr_red ( ) posted Thu, 15 February 2024 at 2:12 PM

thanks Y-Phil   i will have a play over the weekend. this is for my comic i'm working on so when used it will need to be in a bright lit sci-fi lab but if i can just work out the base i can sort the other problem later.

mr_red ( ) posted Fri, 16 February 2024 at 12:30 AM

I checked out the ghost script thing but that only works for the pauline figure it seems. I need to use v4

JoePublic ( ) posted Fri, 16 February 2024 at 2:03 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Like this?

yYVc552DzJfFkBQkqmq1Uyn2o4hnsCx6WCguc7kK.jpg

JoePublic ( ) posted Fri, 16 February 2024 at 2:10 AM

gHzENMx7CoilIKEb6O7IIODqPcdTnAoYTTOkIlmq.jpg

You'll have to uncheck "Visible in Raytrace" for the body (or the various Body Parts actors) OR set Raytrace to 0 bounces.

Otherwise the figure will be "see-through"

KageRyu ( ) posted Mon, 08 April 2024 at 6:15 PM

Yes, Joe public has essentially suggested what I would. Apply similar materials to clothing for a clothed hologram or ghost.  There are some additional tricks that could push up the apparent luminosity of the hologram using a probe light on the alternate diffuse, and some clever math subtract on the ambient.  I think the math trick is in the ghost thread linked earlier, I believe the probe light trick can be found in tutorials at Castle poser.

The New HD Toaster from Wamco toasts bread more evenly and acurately than Standard Toasters. Take advantage of the FULL resolution of your bread and try one today, because if your toast isn't in High Definition, you are not getting the most of your toast!

FVerbaas ( ) posted Wed, 10 April 2024 at 2:13 AM
Forum Coordinator

A hologram is a projection of the outside appearance of a person not in the room.  Best treat it that way: render hologram figure separately on transparent background and use it on a billboard figure in the final scene. Set the 'ghostiness' of the hologram via transparency and blur. Input via ambient only. Diffuse, specular etc. all zero/black. A holographic projection is not affected by scene light. 

Make billboard face camera. Use magnets on the billboard geometry to create distortion of the projection. Play with z-depth render image plugged into the IOR channel to create distortion of the background for the spooky effect. In Firefly try z-map and displacement.  

To turn a scene figure into a semi-transparent hologram you would have to take out all internal geometry and all backfacing polygons; quite a challenge and probably not worth the effort.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.