Mon, Sep 30, 1:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 2:29 pm)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Redefine Origin of Prop?

OberonRex ( ) posted Sat, 01 June 2024 at 8:27 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 11:40 AM

So I've created this cool temple prop, but when I drop it onto a scene or zero out its coordinates, it's way off from the center of the scene. And Control-D drops it a bit below ground level as well.

Can someone tell me how to redefine the origin such that it defaults to the center of ground for X and Z, and sitting on the ground properly for Y? I'm guessing it's simple -- if only I could figure it out!

GfuHVj4kDImOIfWGRNDR5uBCvXSFFt9csD6V2b46.png

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 01 June 2024 at 9:49 AM
Site Admin Online Now!
Try importing it with the center and place on floor checked

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

OberonRex ( ) posted Sat, 01 June 2024 at 10:26 AM

Hmm. I tried that but it has a zillion sub-pieces which suddenly become unavailble in the hierarchy window. They show up in the Materials room, just not in the Hierarchy window. 

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 01 June 2024 at 12:17 PM · edited Sat, 01 June 2024 at 12:19 PM
OberonRex posted at 10:26 AM Sat, 1 June 2024 - #4485531

Hmm. I tried that but it has a zillion sub-pieces which suddenly become unavailble in the hierarchy window. They show up in the Materials room, just not in the Hierarchy window. 

If you need the multiple hierachical parts for re-configuration in your scene, then we need to solve that problem, but if not, it's easier to work with just the one part. 

As for getting it to zero location, can you try using Joint Editor on the base of the hierachy of parts.  Make the green and the red markers coincide in 3D space (ie, check front, top and side views for matching).  Move the prop to the centre of your scene. Save as a prop in Poser Library.  Start a new scene.  Load your saved prop from Poser Library.  Check how it appears.

Eternal Hobbyist

OberonRex ( ) posted Sun, 02 June 2024 at 7:15 AM

Ah. Thank you so much for all that! I shall have to play with the Joint Editor. I had suspected it would be the answer but could not figure it out. Meanwhile, it also turns out that taking the prop into the Setup Room and turning it into a Figure *also* has the side effect of somehow resetting the origin as wish, with all the subparts showing up properly as belonging to the Figure. However, I'd rather have it be a simple prop, not a figure, so I'll definitely try playing around with the Joint Editor.

Thank you again.

nerd ( ) posted Sun, 02 June 2024 at 5:59 PM
Forum Moderator

Actually there's a low effort way to zero the prop.

1) Import the prop to Poser

2) Manually position it where you want it to be when it's zeroed. You can scale it too

3) File > Export > OBJ ... Then select the object you want to export

4) On export options check "Include existing groups" and "Preserve existing material names". Uncheck all other options.

5) Save the new OBJ

6) New scene

7) Import the OBJ you just created

That's all. OBJ is not zeroed where you want it to be. The same trick can be used to fix scale and orientation too.

OberonRex ( ) posted Mon, 03 June 2024 at 7:27 AM

Thank you, nerd. I shall try that!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.