Mon, Jul 1, 1:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 18 7:13 am)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: How to use Wave to create ripples

OberonRex ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2024 at 11:58 AM · edited Mon, 01 July 2024 at 1:44 AM

The documentation says it will create ripples. So far I've been unable to get it to modify the water at all.

My "water" is a simple morphable square from poser props with many subdivisions, and a water material added. Here's a snapshot of my "water" with a wave deformer.

The bottom line is that I haven't a clue how to use the Wave deformer. Reading and googling isn't helping.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2024 at 12:14 PM

You forgot to include the image.

OberonRex ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2024 at 12:42 PM · edited Mon, 17 June 2024 at 12:42 PM

Yah. Bit under the weather this moring and my brain is all fuzzy.

Here's a snapshot.

W0V9jiS56AgISyLFvp3esSTQpxgSz6WCwSFkSMjc.png

I did go off and play with Wave and the Ground. Hmm. Yes, I got it to do ripples, but not "tight" enough to fit in the box above. More like circular waves, not ripples. If I reduce the wave length to try to make ripples I could use in the box, it goes all choppy.

Lwv9mBpircB1uLTKOlGJJmBMRIjrCcIUFYDPcreB.png

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2024 at 1:17 PM

Try using amplitude.  It modulates the height of the wave.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2024 at 1:25 PM · edited Mon, 17 June 2024 at 1:25 PM
Site Admin

Here's my setup for ripples. Move the wave off to one side to not show the full ring. Use the morphs to affect how the ripples look. You can see which ones I used. You do need to make sure you have enough polygons. It doesn't seem like subdivision will help with that

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2024 at 1:34 PM

Also try parenting the box to the wave object.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2024 at 2:29 PM

You can always add displacement to vary the look of the waves.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2024 at 3:17 PM
Site Admin

You can also get some interesting effects by adding more than one wave to an object

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

OberonRex ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2024 at 3:34 PM

Thank you both so much. I can hardly wait to go play with it again. It will have to wait until tomorrow, I think. A bit under the weather today. Fever and tired and all that. Sigh.

But I can HARDLY  WAIT!!!! I've been crudely making ripples with the morphing tool. Multiple morphs. Concentric circles. Hard work and not very satisfying result either.

OberonRex ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2024 at 4:10 PM

Well I couldn't wait. I had to play with it just a bit. And -- Major Progress! Thank you guys again...

I6fpUUtXKFh4wteTytfbn3Yz6HocThhTrHOs83qU.png

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2024 at 4:37 PM
Site Admin

much better

OberonRex ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2024 at 4:39 PM · edited Tue, 18 June 2024 at 7:25 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Check it out! Definitely getting there. Have to quit soon and get back to it tomorrow. Really. But -- WOW!! And thank you SO much.

Btw, switching my surface over to ClothPlane helped too!!!

4QL0BaUhxZzB6iJXJZwNohTpYLJaYW3o0Ff09bQ5.png

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2024 at 6:06 PM
Site Admin

that looks good

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 17 June 2024 at 9:46 PM

I couldn't resist playing with this.

VAnQKtppq5cJmYhSgwH4p184ZrGwNIFlBeiEqd3u.png

OberonRex ( ) posted Tue, 18 June 2024 at 7:13 AM · edited Tue, 18 June 2024 at 7:25 AM

Cool!! So many times one sees renders where a model is just stuck in the water with the water just a flat sheet of water. And your image shows wonderfully that it needn't be that way. Very impressive!

And here's what you guys have helped me create! My earlier image showed the possibility, but (sigh) I stayed up, tweaked various noise parameters, and came up with this, and I'm extremely pleased with it. 

Thank you both!!!

qt2Pj8XSX6rF4UJ5KTLG9CiBv2eAUC6GoRG2kjrl.jpg

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.