Sat, Sep 28, 7:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 27 8:02 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Gallery Genre Reorganization

msansing ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2024 at 10:44 AM · edited Sat, 28 September 2024 at 7:15 AM
Site Admin

Effective October 16th, the Surrealism, Alternative, Objects, and Weird gallery genres will merge under the Abstract gallery genre. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

These changes are aimed at making it easier for you to find images and display your work in a more organized structure. 

Thank you for everything you do to make our community a success. 

Torquinox ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2024 at 6:31 PM

You might as well. No one here seems to know the difference anyway - plenty of overlap in all of them. You could also combine Aviation, Transportation and Military. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to reduce the number of genres.

msansing ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2024 at 8:33 AM
Site Admin

That's a good idea. I will make a note. 

Torquinox ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2024 at 10:59 AM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 11:02 AM

It's a terrible idea! At least as described... I don't know why you're so determined to reduce the number of galleries in such a haphazard way. You might do better using some text and images with your genre galleries to educate your members, or post a reference page with an article describing the expectations. You can't make people read it, though some people will. You're probably a bit limited to what you can actually do with your categories by having a huge body of already-uploaded images. Nevertheless, you can make decisions about what happens going forward.

Just looking at surreal, weird, abstract, and alternative, you have compatibility issues. Lots of people don't really understand abstract art, what it is or what function it serves. Abstract is art more focused on the design aspect of the work - All compositions have underlying abstract designs that give them structure. An abstract work of art would emphasize that underlying structure, often dispensing with the conventional subjects of the work. Abstract art is not about objects, though there is such a thing as figurative abstraction. Even that is not just pictures of things assembled in a way that seems impossible - That's more for the surreal crowd. I've yet to see an online gallery of abstract work that would remain abstract without heavy curation.

Surreal art, on the other hand, is largely (not exclusively) art of the subconscious. It is deliberately and shamelessly weird. So, you can't higgledy-piggledy throw abstract and surreal in the same box as some surreal art is actually richly rendered illustration of objects. Yet even then, the objects may not be the point. See Magritte's Ceci n'est pas une pipe, among other works. That's more about the idea of how objects are translated into images of the object through the filter of the mind. We know the objects we see in images are not the actual objects, but we accept the visual representations. Similarly, one can render a cube, but that cube in the rendering is not a cube. It's a 2d representation of the cube. Even that - Not sure how much of that idea is actually surreal, but there is always some slop at the edges of any genre or movement - We have room to maneuver. Moving on...

The problem with lumping aviation, transportation, and military together is, not all military images involve aviation or transportation. Maybe military should be its own thing. Aviation is a form of transportation, so that can join transportation.

I see I'm the only one with anything to say about all this. Could be I'm the only one who cares? IDK. Back in the day, DA had a lovely, granular image classification system with volunteers assigned to keep the containers clean. They scrapped it all for the nebulous mess that is hashtag hell. Part of Eclipse - Can you imagine naming your site design after a phenomenon that blocks out the sun? Sort of fits in their case.

Anyway, glad to see you're not going that route. Still, simplification must be done carefully, with some nuance and caring for what goes into the galleries. I've no idea what "alternative" is supposed to contain, so I'm not really sure what you should do with that category. But maybe that should be defined or name-changed and refined so that it can serve a useful purpose without making a mess of some other genre. I don't envy you the task. Thanks for your time and attention. Cheers!

RHaseltine ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2024 at 4:30 PM

I agree that whatever the frist four are, they are not abstract. The three excluding Objects would probably be mergable into Weird or something like that.

msansing ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2024 at 5:48 PM
Site Admin

I will rethink and post here. Thanks for the feedback. 

Torquinox ( ) posted Tue, 17 September 2024 at 8:09 PM

Sounds good. Thanks :)

A_Sunbeam ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2024 at 1:39 AM

'Alternative' sometimes seems to be a cover for AI. I still think AI should have its own gallery for all pure AI and 'assisted' AI.

msansing ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2024 at 8:39 AM
Site Admin
RHaseltine posted at 4:30 PM Tue, 17 September 2024 - #4489426

I agree that whatever the frist four are, they are not abstract. The three excluding Objects would probably be mergable into Weird or something like that.

What genres would you consider 'weird' Just the ones mentioned above excluding objects or can other genres be merged into weird. Just wondering. Maybe we could come up with a better name than weird..... 

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2024 at 3:56 PM

Rural/Countryscapes and Scenic would seem mergeable. Still Life and objects, depending on how theya re used, night merge - though i am not sure either title would be all-encompassing, so that might need thought (nothing immediately occurs to me). Medieval and Historical seems to be a subset and a superset. Travel would seem a better fit with Aviation and Transport than Military. And of course there are a number of sub-genres that could merge with fantasy, though i suspect they each get a fair bit of use so a combination might be too may to keep track of.

You could try addng a word to weird, such as bizarre, to try to broaden it (though I am not sure that particular combination would do the job). Left field?

Torquinox ( ) posted Wed, 18 September 2024 at 7:38 PM

Let's be clear: Abstract art and Surreal art are not just weird, bizarre or left field (whatever that is). And they don't both go in the same box together. And none of this matters if there isn't going to be any attempt at clear definition or curation. People will still stick stuff wherever, at which point genre becomes irrelevant as a means of finding something. I see that in several genres.

Putting aviation and transportation with travel fails when one looks at what's actually in the travel gallery! Some pictures of places, a lot of pictures of people, some cars, some other stuff... It's all a mess and I still don't envy anyone the task of cleaning it up. Besides, aviation and transportation manage to stay on target more than maybe any other genre! Sure, there are some head-scratcher entries, but they are very few in number, especially compared to what I see in some of the other genres.

Afrodite-Ohki ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:38 AM
A_Sunbeam posted at 1:39 AM Wed, 18 September 2024 - #4489435

'Alternative' sometimes seems to be a cover for AI. I still think AI should have its own gallery for all pure AI and 'assisted' AI.

I still think AI should be banned entirely in a community for artists - a lot of whom has had their work scraped without their conset to feed those things - but here we are....

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

msansing ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:38 AM
Site Admin

I have added a request to put text underneath the gallery genre name that will hopefully help members understand what images are in and should be uploaded to that particular genre. We are also working on a gallery FAQ. It definitely is a big project! 

Torquinox ( ) posted Thu, 19 September 2024 at 6:12 PM

Thank you @msansing . Good on you and Rendo for making the effort!

I agree with, support, and second @Afrodite-Ohki's statement about AI art.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.