Mon, Sep 30, 1:12 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser 13

Welcome to the Poser 13 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, RedPhantom

(Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 10:28 am)

Subject: Exported .obj files texture not loading

Sgilbert ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2024 at 7:55 PM · edited Sun, 29 September 2024 at 11:26 PM

Having an issue with textures with exported models in .obj format.  When I attempt to import the files into Leica Truview the texture is lost.  I have tried all the export setting combinations with no change. Still relatively new to poser so I'm assuming I'm missing something. 

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2024 at 9:22 PM
Site Admin

Make sure you have this checked

Also check where the image maps are plugged in. There might be a miscommunication if you're not using the Poser root surface with the image map plugged into the diffuse.

Otherwise, it might be on Leica Truview's end and you might need to reapply the maps by hand.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Sgilbert ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2024 at 5:10 AM

I tried that with no joy. The image map appears to be set up correctly. As an experiment I exported a stock figure out of DAZ studio with no changes. It imported into Truview with the texture. Not sure what the difference is.

grwall ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2024 at 8:51 AM

IF you are using Windows (10 or 11), there's a built-in 3d model viewer. Exporting OBJ out of poser, for me, produces a result that opens correctly with textures in this model viewer. You can try opening the exported OBJ in that model viewer to see if it looks correct, If not, then the problem would appear to be Poser export settings. If it does appear correct in the Windows viewer, then it suggests there's a problem with the Truview importer (despite it working from other program exports, it's just a first experiment to discover the nature of the problem).

Sgilbert ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2024 at 10:35 AM

The 3D viewer in widow shows no texture for models exported with poser or DAZ studio. Truview, 3DF Zephyr, and sweet home show texture with figure exported from DAZ but not Poser. 

grwall ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2024 at 12:06 PM · edited Sat, 28 September 2024 at 12:13 PM

Looking at the picture of the export optopns, above in this thread, try:

*  UN-checking "Full Texture Paths"
* CHECKING "Copy textures to destination folder"

This will export a copy of the texture files alongside the exported OBJ, and reference them with no path name in the .mlt material file. The textures, .mtl material file, and OBJ must remain in the same folder with this arrangement. After doing this, try opening in the Windows model viewer again.

If this works, then there is some pathing name problem with the exports when exporting "Full Paths" (Like, the programs can't find the textures where there were after export). If this still doesn't work, then observe  *IF*  it really did export texture files along with the OBJ at all... If it did, open the .mtl file in a text editor and just check that the filenames of the textures are, in fact, correct.

Sgilbert ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2024 at 7:07 PM

Compaired the .mtl files in a text editor. The mtl file generated by poser was significantly different from the mtl generated by DAZ. I noticed rhe mtl from Poser was bunched up without spacing between entries and had alot more information. I noticed there was a corresponding information types but it was in a different order.  I'm going to try experimenting with modifying the poser mtl file

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.