Tue, Oct 22, 12:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:57 pm)

Subject: CNET's Death Match between Win XP and Mac OS X

rtamesis ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2001 at 12:39 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 9:56 PM

Attached Link: http://home.cnet.com/software/0-429669-8-7618644-1.html

Go to the link for their decision as to which OS is better.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2001 at 1:30 PM

I am a Mac AND a PC lover (not very common, I know) and I have a Mac background. But doesn't it seem a little unfair that the tie breaker was price when they failed to take into account that XP Home would have won on 2 of the 3 points for their little "contest"? Most people will be using XP home after all. I must say tho that it is nice that you only need to buy one copy to put on every machine of OS X. Ah...the Windows good ole days ;). I know we weren't supposed to do it, but who like me can afford to put Windows XP on every machine in the house?! After all, I have 4 computers at my home (soon to be 5 come Christmas). That could get a little pricey :). It was nice when we used to be able to do it ;). But, as my grandmother used to say, " 'Use ta's' DEAD". Laurie

aleks ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2001 at 3:03 PM

umm... i think i heard it before that home version of xp can't connect more that 3 computers over lan... i might be wrong but it's worth checking.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Sat, 03 November 2001 at 2:24 AM

Editors' Note:*
Some of you may have noticed that in an earlier version of this story, we gave a slight edge to OS X. One of the primary factors behind this decision was the cost of each upgrade as it relates to licensing requirements. Although it is true that OS X lacks a feature like Windows XP's product activation that would bar you from installing it on more than on system, it is still a violation of Apple's end-user licensing agreement to install the upgrade on multiple systems. We regret any misleading information in the initial version, which has now been updated to clarify this issue.*

In other words the nicest thing we could say about OSX was that you could steal it :)

Seriously - the article is pretty amusing and as all such armchair analysis is it is just more fluff to grab hits. 

For me:  I LIKE OSX. if I had to run a Mac this is the OS I would run it on. It runs most Mac software and can run the BSD stuff if I re-compile it (though I am not sure how many variations of 'grep' I need) I Love XP and if I didn't already have PC hardware I'd switch to run it :)

Of course, I was amused that the considered emulators to be the same thing as "compatible" :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.