Sun, Oct 6, 7:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Another shot at a cottage

melanie ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 1999 at 8:19 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 7:14 AM

OK, here's a link to a Thomas Kinkaid painting (Painter of Light) that shows one of his cottages. This is the type I'm looking for. http://www.topeka-elegance.com/Kinkade%20Current%20Works/everett'.asp Melanie

Darth_Logice ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 1999 at 8:43 PM

Mel, Exactly how many 3-d Cottages do you suppose are out there? ;) -Darth

picnic ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 1999 at 8:49 PM

There was a beautiful one done in Bryce last year--I'm not sure if it was available as a model or not-don't think so. I know that doesn't help you. I suspect you may have to 'build' that in Bryce though-if you have it. Diane

Kalypso ( ) posted Mon, 06 December 1999 at 8:58 PM
Site Admin

Melanie, have you tried the 3D Cafe? I recall seeing quite a number of houses. Not really sure what kind but I had downloaded a haunted type one and an English Tudor-like barn.

-renapd- ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 1999 at 7:35 AM
Site Admin

Melanie, if you can come up with a larger image of the painting, I would be glad to make a canoma prop out of it for you...it's in the right angle and very easy to create! :o) renapd

[[MyGallery] [MyStore]
"Collect moments, not things."

melanie ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 1999 at 8:53 AM

Rena, I'll search for a larger copy of that. There are a number of calendars out this year with his work in them. He's very popular, so I don't think it would be too hard to find it. I'll get back to you if I find one. Thanks, Melanie

-renapd- ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 1999 at 10:16 AM
Site Admin

OK Melanine, I'll be waiting around! :o) BTW, where is Anton's cottage available? I think I've missed it!.... renapd

[[MyGallery] [MyStore]

Gawain ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 1999 at 10:47 AM

You might consider the copyright before you create a cottage from a picture by Thomas Kinkaid. They're all copyrighted. It MAY cause you troubles.

picnic ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 1999 at 10:56 AM

Oh, you're exactly right, Gawain. Since I live in the heart of furniture country and know he's also 'connected' to one of the furniture companies (talk about 'pet peeves'--I hate this licensing stuff), I know he's VERY copyrighted. That would certainly inhibit this a LOT, I would think. I should have thought about that and mentioned it myself. Diane B

-renapd- ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 1999 at 2:38 PM
Site Admin

Tough luck! :o( It would have made a lovely cottage in 3D... renapd

[[MyGallery] [MyStore]

Gawain ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 1999 at 2:49 PM

You could alway use Thomas Kinkaid's artwork as an example of the style you want. He can't copyright an art style or color scheme. It would be possible to recreate a "similiar" texture map.

melanie ( ) posted Tue, 07 December 1999 at 8:15 PM

Actually, the style of cottage in his paintings isn't his invention. It's based on all the old storybook cottages in the fairytales. At least that's what they look like to me. Just sort of a cute, gingerbread cottage. I've been seeing that type of cottage all my life in books (and believe me, that's a darn long time!). He just stylized that type in his paintings. I'm not out to copy any of his actual paintings. The type of cottage he uses probably actually existed back in the Medieval times or some time after. It's just a cute cottage with a puffy thatch roof. Sort of like a leprechaun cottage or something. It could actually be pretty generic. Maybe there's someone out there with the talent to actually model one in a similar architectural style. Unfortunately, that's not where my talents lie (sob!). But, thanks for the offer anyway, Rena, it would have been nice. For all I know, there actually could be a cottage similar to it somewhere. Melanie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.